The Student Room Group

Why do you get a stencil in maths sets?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bigoliver
This made me lol then when I told my family they lol.
Great reply, maybe the best response to a thread I've ever recieved.

wait was this the actual reply or a joke ?
Original post by Joinedup
Attachment not found

:congrats:

youwin.png
Reply 42
Original post by fefssdf
wait was this the actual reply or a joke ?

No, it was a very amusing joke.

The fact you question it, is testiment to how cleaver and funny it is
OK now we have sorted out the stencil problem.... when did anyone ever use one of these ?

oxfordmaths2.jpg
Original post by the bear
OK now we have sorted out the stencil problem.... when did anyone ever use one of these ?
oxfordmaths2.jpg

when you've lost or broken your ruler :tongue:
Reply 45
Original post by surina16
when you've lost or broken your ruler :tongue:

That is so true, certainly all I've ever used then for.
Though it might be more effective to just include 3 rulers instead 😀

oxfordmaths2.jpg

Used to break them and throw the fragments around class, not sure why else they'd be in there

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, it was a very amusing joke.

The fact you question it, is testiment to how cleaver and funny it is

Oh right thanks for clearing that up and yh it was very original :smile:
I used the stencil to ice a Happy Retirement cake once...

But other than that, no idea why it'd be in there :confused:
oxfordmaths2.jpg

I actually found good use for (one of) those in my DT coursework at GCSE :colondollar: not completely useless after all :lol:
Reply 50
We now have an official (and genuine) reply from Helix. It does really answers the question only really gives me more questions.

I guess even Helix didn't know why they include it.
Anyhow below is their reply...

From Helix...

"The 10mm lettering stencil was included in the Oxford Maths Set in the 1970’s. It is still seen as a relevant part of the maths set as a general education item. Even with the introduction of word processors and computer technology into the classroom this component is still viewed as an appropriate piece to include in our maths sets."

I now wonder why these where included in the 70s and what 70s maths students did with them.
Helix seem delussional thinking the stencil is still relevant in Maths today if a Chambridge Maths Wrangler and A level maths students can't think of any mathematical use for a alphabet stencil perhaps Helix should consider replacing it with something more useful
(edited 7 years ago)
We now have an official (and genuine) reply from Helix. It does really answers the question only really gives me more questions.

I guess even Helix didn't know why they include it.
Anyhow below is their reply...

From Helix...

"The 10mm lettering stencil was included in the Oxford Maths Set in the 1970’s. It is still seen as a relevant part of the maths set as a general education item. Even with the introduction of word processors and computer technology into the classroom this component is still viewed as an appropriate piece to include in our maths sets."

I now wonder why these where included in the 70s and what 70s maths students did with them.
Helix seem delussional thinking the stencil is still relevant in Maths today if a Chambridge Maths Wrangler and A level maths students can't think of any mathematical use for a alphabet stencil perhaps Helix should consider replacing it with something more useful

I suppose it was used in the 70s for ensuring neat and uniform writing before computers were widely used by students. Maybe it's just included because of tradition now...
I think it prompts a philosophical discussion such as this one #ChangeTheGame

Or maybe it's a frisbee in disguise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
I've just emailed Helix with this message...

"I've often wonder when the stencil in your Oxford Maths Sets might ever be used for in maths?
I asked my friend who's a maths Wrangler from Trinity College, Chambridge but he didn't know.
I asked on The Student Room forum under A level maths but they don't know either.
I asked my Maths teacher and she didn't know

Someone apparently emailed you and received an inconclusive reply.

Please could you tell me when an alphabet stencil would be useful when doing maths?
I don't know anyone who has ever used it for maths but if you could tell be the inteded purpose of the stencil or at least what topics in maths might require an alphabet stencil then perhaps I could put mine to good use.

Here is the thread I posted on The Student Room in a unsuccessful quest to find answers...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4223514

...please have a read through, if nothing else it's quite comical

Thanks in advance,

Oliver"

...wonder if they'll read this thread and reply
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hamo2509
I suppose it was used in the 70s for ensuring neat and uniform writing before computers were widely used by students. Maybe it's just included because of tradition now...

in the 1970's they had canes for that

I've just emailed Helix with this message...

"I've often wonder when the stencil in your Oxford Maths Sets might ever be used for in maths?
I asked my friend who's a maths Wrangler from Trinity College, Chambridge but he didn't know.
I asked on The Student Room forum under A level maths but they don't know either.
I asked my Maths teacher and she didn't know

Someone apparently emailed you and received an inconclusive reply.

Please could you tell me when an alphabet stencil would be useful when doing maths?
I don't know anyone who has ever used it for maths but if you could tell be the inteded purpose of the stencil or at least what topics in maths might require an alphabet stencil then perhaps I could put mine to good use.

Here is the thread I posted on The Student Room in a unsuccessful quest to find answers...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4223514

...please have a read through, if nothing else it's quite comical

Thanks in advance,

Oliver"

...wonder if they'll read this thread and reply

Now you're going to get me sued for libel.

I had similar sets in the 70's can't remember the exact brand, possibly helix vanilla but iirc none of them had stencils or the second compass...

----
FWLIW set squares had a use in technical drawing lessons before CAD, but for that you'd use proper ones owned by the school that were much larger and chunkier than the minescule ones in the helix set.

if anyone's still reading your TD drawing board had a full width horizontal 'parallel ruler' that was movable vertically up and down the paper and kept parallel by a system of pulleys and steel wires on the back of the board, the set squares sat on the parallell ruler and allowed you to very easily draw lines through a given point at 45 and 60 degrees to the horizontal, these were the main angles you were interested in.
Reply 55
"No stationery drawer is complete without some useful letter stencils. These 20mm high letter stencils feature capital letters A-Z, numbers 0-9 and special characters. Ideal for art and craft projects at school and the home office."
I found someone who actually added a use for it! According to WHSmith it's for art and craft projects, nothing to do with maths tho :dontknow:
Reply 56
Crap, I think I just figured it out.

"Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols*is a Unicode block*of*Latin*and*Greek*letters and decimal*digits*that enable mathematicians to denote different notions with different letter styles. The letters in various fonts often have specific, fixed meanings in particular areas of mathematics. By providing uniformity over numerous mathematical articles and books, these conventions help to read mathematical formulae."

"e.g. in mathematics an*italic*"A" can have a different meaning from a*roman*letter "A". "

So basically different handwriting can mean different things with the same letters. Handwriting varies by region and person, even now you have people who just put a line for 1 and those who have little wings to them. Or some put a line through the middle of Z while others don't.

So they had the stencils with the 'block' letters which make it clear to everyone what they are and then the letter markings in other handwriting would clearly be the italic ones.

Probably took way more time but it would make it easier to mark the works.
Reply 57
Original post by Devify
"No stationery drawer is complete without some useful letter stencils. These 20mm high letter stencils feature capital letters A-Z, numbers 0-9 and special characters. Ideal for art and craft projects at school and the home office."
I found someone who actually added a use for it! According to WHSmith it's for art and craft projects, nothing to do with maths tho :dontknow:

Lol, I wonder if WHSmiths question why they sell maths sets with arts and crafts stencils included
Original post by Devify
Crap, I think I just figured it out.

"Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols*is a Unicode block*of*Latin*and*Greek*letters and decimal*digits*that enable mathematicians to denote different notions with different letter styles. The letters in various fonts often have specific, fixed meanings in particular areas of mathematics. By providing uniformity over numerous mathematical articles and books, these conventions help to read mathematical formulae."

"e.g. in mathematics an*italic*"A" can have a different meaning from a*roman*letter "A". "

So basically different handwriting can mean different things with the same letters. Handwriting varies by region and person, even now you have people who just put a line for 1 and those who have little wings to them. Or some put a line through the middle of Z while others don't.

So they had the stencils with the 'block' letters which make it clear to everyone what they are and then the letter markings in other handwriting would clearly be the italic ones.

Probably took way more time but it would make it easier to mark the works.

That would make some sense but in my experience it never actually happened... you just got taught to write the appropriate letter/symbol freehand.

also 10mm is blooming large lettering.
Reply 59
Original post by Joinedup
That would make some sense but in my experience it never actually happened... you just got taught to write the appropriate letter/symbol freehand.

also 10mm is blooming large lettering.

10mm is 1cm. 1cm is 2 squares on normal squared paper. It's not that big. There could also be smaller stencils, they could be used to teach how to write them in free-hand. Considering it was added in 70s it could be used to make sure all students have a way of writing it properly considering how many people lacked primary education.

Quick Reply

Latest