The Student Room Group

GCSE study/sixth form and college aims

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTran38
I'm hoping for A-A*s which is going to be one hell of a challenge. I'm going to have quite a headache in Y11 with Computing, I still haven't sorted out A452 and A453 properly :frown:, blames teacher.

I know how you feel. I finished yr 11 this year and those tasks really were awful- so glad when it was all over!:redface:
Reply 21
Original post by sunshine774
I know how you feel. I finished yr 11 this year and those tasks really were awful- so glad when it was all over!:redface:

I'm glad that the coursework is scrapped for the new Y10s
Original post by Username2016
Will be in year 11 come September!*sarcastic cheer*
I don't have any study buddies and thought I'd create this thread to hear about other people's ambitions in the near future .Would love to discuss with academic pupils although all contributions welcome.Any takers?

Hey I finished yr 11 a few weeks ago and would love to give any advice!:smile: Enjoy yr 11, it will go very quickly and best of luck with your exams!:biggrin:
Original post by JTran38

That's a relief, I'm glad for them!:smile:
Hi everyone,

I will be in year 9 after summer and will start studying IGCSE Mathematics as I'm in set 1. I'm wondering what is necessary to do for me to achieve 100% in the exams a part from self study and tutors. I would really appreciate if you could help? Also, I know I will do additional maths in year 11, so is there any else regarding the preparation that is necessary? Thank you very much!
I like the sciences and maths but don't really enjoy English,I think I prefer subjects with defined answers,although the ambiguous aspect of English makes it interesting it irritates me.Are you going to a Sixth form?

Yeah I prefer the Sciences too, and for the same reason. Plus, Maths is one of my strongest so it complements Physics quite well. I have applied to a Sixth form (though not at my secondary school), a college and an apprenticeship :smile:
Original post by williamnguyen
Hi everyone,

I will be in year 9 after summer and will start studying IGCSE Mathematics as I'm in set 1. I'm wondering what is necessary to do for me to achieve 100% in the exams a part from self study and tutors. I would really appreciate if you could help? Also, I know I will do additional maths in year 11, so is there any else regarding the preparation that is necessary? Thank you very much!

Practice, practice, practice, practice, x100, on your weakest topics. If you're aiming for 100%, keep on practicing until you no longer get questions, of a particular topic, wrong. Although, unfortunately, 100% is always a bit tricky, since it's so easy to stumble up a bit on one question, costing maybe a mark or two.
Reply 27
Original post by _gcx
Practice, practice, practice, practice, x100, on your weakest topics. If you're aiming for 100%, keep on practicing until you no longer get questions, of a particular topic, wrong. Although, unfortunately, 100% is always a bit tricky, since it's so easy to stumble up a bit on one question, costing maybe a mark or two.

Just to add to @_gcx's point on doing a lot of practice, this is very true as Maths requires a lot of practice. Alongside practicing, I would do past papers/specimen papers (check the spec you're on if you know) and then do gap analysis which is basically going over the weaker topics and ensuring that you know it next time. Good luck!
Starting year 12 next year, want to study medicine so AAAA or AAAB in As levels would be good. I'm studying maths, physics, chemistry and biology. I enjoy the sciences, but hate English with a passion.
Original post by IssyCon
Starting year 12 next year, want to study medicine so AAAA or AAAB in As levels would be good. I'm studying maths, physics, chemistry and biology. I enjoy the sciences, but hate English with a passion.

You've picked the same combination of A levels I would like to do during Sixth form :smile: Please do tell how you get on, I've been told to expect a daunting amount of work and as a result I should drop Physics to opt for something easier,still on the fence about that.Any plans for uni?
Original post by JTran38
I'm going to have quite a headache in Y11 with Computing, I still haven't sorted out A452 and A453 properly

computing's an absolute killer in year 11 - i had to redo both task one and two for A453 while doing A452 at the same time, and after that do task three... it was pretty common towards the deadline for a few of the computer rooms to be full with people trying to finish during lunch or after school

hoping it all pays off for me on results day, though :smile: you sound like you've done a lot more than i had at that stage so good luck with it!
You've picked the same combination of A levels I would like to do during Sixth form :smile: Please do tell how you get on, I've been told to expect a daunting amount of work and as a result I should drop Physics to opt for something easier,still on the fence about that.Any plans for uni?

I'm moving 6th form as mine does not offer as levels and I will drop physics after as (I think it will be too hard to continue with 4, but I like physics). I'll see how I get on, it'll be hard work. That combo seems to be very common. I was thinking about geography instead of physics, but case studies put me off. For uni, maybe Newcastle or Cardiff, currently in Nottingham, so want to go away, but I'll apply to the places I'm most likely to get into.
Original post by JTran38

really? coursework is an easy way to get an A*

Quick Reply

Latest