The Student Room Group

I've left Islam, what next?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by exmuslim105
It did give me a sense of false hope, until I denied being in denial that I don't believe in this anymore, and that I need to explore further. I was simply being a Muslim and practicing because my parents are from that geographical reigon. My family is from India. There are a lot of both Hindus and Muslims. If I was from a HIndu family, I would be following that, and the concept didn't make sense.

I am still exploring my purpose and as I said I am very attracted to Buddhist and Sikh philosophy.

Best of luck in your endeavours. Have fun exploring!
You can find out more about the life of Jesus Christ if you ask me.
So I came to a long and rational decision that Islam is not for me. I came out to my family a few months back and everything is settling down now. Though it was big news and a lot of people were calling me.

Anyone else in the same position?

Start living a proper life according to western values. Thats the best thing a member of the human race can do.
Reply 23
Original post by Trapz99
You can find out more about the life of Jesus Christ if you ask me.

No thanks
Reply 24
Original post by Galaxie501
Start living a proper life according to western values. Thats the best thing a member of the human race can do.

As I was already doing. I rejected the aspects of Islam that went against western values even when I was Muslim. I was just in denial that I didn't believe in the religion.
Congratulations. I'd doff my hat to you, sir, for having the bravery.
No thanks

Why not?
Even if my parents were religious, I would still come out. I prefer the hedonistic approach. I used to suffer from anxiety, and ever since I stopped caring about this ****, the anxiety subsided.

That's why I'm so open to everyone about it.

Coming out as an Ex Muslim would hurt too many people close to me so it's not something that I plan to do yet.
I'm moving out from my parents house soon, I wouldn't need to worry about what members of my family or the wider extremely backwards Muslim community think. It's therefore not really necessary for me to upset anyone.
But I do get your point.
As I was already doing. I rejected the aspects of Islam that went against western values even when I was Muslim. I was just in denial that I didn't believe in the religion.

Theres not much you can do then. Live a long moral life and dont worry too much about religious fairytales.
eat bacon...unless you're vegetarian
Reply 30
Original post by blah3210
eat bacon...unless you're vegetarian

Yep, I'm vegetarian.
Yep, I'm vegetarian.

are you going to try alcohol?
Reply 32
Original post by Alima khan
Coming out as an Ex Muslim would hurt too many people close to me so it's not something that I plan to do yet.
I'm moving out from my parents house soon, I wouldn't need to worry about what members of my family or the wider extremely backwards Muslim community think. It's therefore not really necessary for me to upset anyone.
But I do get your point.

Ah I see. Yes, it's best not to come out if you're living in the same house.
Possibly once you move out, it would be best.
I hope you don't mind me asking, which town is it that you live? And what ethnicity are you?
Reply 33
Original post by blah3210
are you going to try alcohol?

Started that a while back. Used to binge a lot during my first year. I still drink it and love drinking it, though in moderation now.
Ah I see. Yes, it's best not to come out if you're living in the same house.
Possibly once you move out, it would be best.
I hope you don't mind me asking, which town is it that you live? And what ethnicity are you?

I currently live in the North West & hope to move to Liverpool for uni. I'm Bengali born & raised in the UK though. You?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Alima khan
I currently live in Manchester but hope to move to Liverpool for uni. I'm Bengali born & raised in the UK though. You?

I'm from Liverpool and am going to Leeds for postgraduate uni. I know Liverpool uni quite well. It's a really good uni, the Sydney Jones library is great for studying. Great students guild, great nightlife. You'll love it. Good luck for getting in.
I'm from Liverpool and am going to Leeds for postgraduate uni. I know Liverpool uni quite well. It's a really good uni, the Sydney Jones library is great for studying. Great students guild, great nightlife. You'll love it. Good luck for getting in.

That's cool! The city seemed great when I visited & so did the uni in general. You're a bit biased coming from Liverpool 😜
Thanks, good luck with your postgraduate degree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Theres nothing next. You just continue to do whatever you feel like doing, as you would when you were a Muslim. Minus all the praying. Thought that was obvious.
Live your life the way you want to. Most importantly, be grateful. There's tons of people out there whose parents would never in a million years accept their child's decision to leave the religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by TheUnknownDude
Live your life the way you want to. Most importantly, be grateful. There's tons of people out there whose parents would never in a million years accept their child's decision to leave the religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And me being from a non-religious family, I am trying my best to empathize with them. I mean it must be so hard. I wish everyone can just be so accepting of everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending