The Student Room Group

Did anyone get A*/A in Physics A level?

If so, why exam board were you doing and how DID YOU DO IT!?!?!?!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi u just need to buy the cgp book

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Senhuang
Hi u just need to buy the cgp book

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get an a/A* in the course and what exam board?
Reply 3
Nobody did because physics is too hard.
Reply 4
Got an A last year, hopefully A/A* this year (will find out in a few weeks :/ ). Throughout the year, whenever we covered new content in a lesson, I's spend an hour or so reviewing it after. Also used past papers nearer the exam.
Original post by fefssdf
Nobody did because physics is too hard.

Dont need no pessimism fam ;P

Original post by Tskadem
Got an A last year, hopefully A/A* this year (will find out in a few weeks :/ ). Throughout the year, whenever we covered new content in a lesson, I's spend an hour or so reviewing it after. Also used past papers nearer the exam.

Ah hopefully! What exam board book did you use most?
Yep.
It's all in conceptualising and making the right associations. That's how I work anyhow. Being interested is the easiest way - and revision the night before helps.
Reply 7

We used OCR. Mainly revised using the notes from lessons (had a very good teacher), but topped them up using the OCR textbook (though be careful, it contains a lot of waffle).
Reply 8
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Dont need no pessimism fam ;P

If you put the the hours then I'm sure you'll do well !
Reply 9
I am predicted an A*, Edexcel.
It's simple, first of all you must have an excellent understanding of all the basics, which is very simple to achieve and doesn't take much time.
Then, you have to solve a lot of problems to develop an analytical mind. Some people are born with such minds, and some people have to nurture it. If you're not born with it, you have to build it. Do problems, do past papers, and most importantly, do this: When you learn a subject, say capacitors, THINK about it. Think where you might see it in nature? Could lightning be some sort of capacitor circuit? Learnt about SHM? Think about SHM, where could you find? Think about all the different problems related to SHM.

You see, learning the physics is actually really easy and simple and doesn't take much time, it's the analytical skills that you'll need to build.
I'm going to be doing the first year of A-level Physics, but my exam board is Edexcel. You think it helps if I do past papers of other exam boards? Also other exam boards' revision guides and textbooks?
Original post by StarvingAutist
Yep.
It's all in conceptualising and making the right associations. That's how I work anyhow. Being interested is the easiest way - and revision the night before helps.

??? Kinda confused sorry

Original post by Tskadem

We used OCR. Mainly revised using the notes from lessons (had a very good teacher), but topped them up using the OCR textbook (though be careful, it contains a lot of waffle).

Ahh, what should i do if i dont have a great teacher who is in her first year of teaching a level physics?
Oh and by the way, learn a lot of Maths. Try to get C4 done before March so that you could use your C4 knowledge with physics. Maths is a perfect builder of analytical skills, plus some of the techniques you learn in A-Level Maths will be very helpful for physics.
Original post by oShahpo
Oh and by the way, learn a lot of Maths. Try to get C4 done before March so that you could use your C4 knowledge with physics. Maths is a perfect builder of analytical skills, plus some of the techniques you learn in A-Level Maths will be very helpful for physics.

What parts of c4 help with physics?
Reply 14
??? Kinda confused sorry

Ahh, what should i do if i dont have a great teacher who is in her first year of teaching a level physics?

If your teacher isn't great then you'll probably have to rely on the textbook. Use it with the spec and mark off the points as you cover them so that you know you have the information you need. Really though, in physics once you really understand a topic's basics you'll be able to answer a lot of questions around that topic, and that's sort of what the exam is about. There's questions where you have to look at an unfamiliar situation, which is set out in a complex way that you haven't seen before, and all you need to do is revert to the basics to analyse it. That's where the past papers come in, you learn to answer those types of question.
Original post by Tskadem

How did you do this?
areyouawizard.png
Reply 16
If so, why exam board were you doing and how DID YOU DO IT!?!?!?!

No one, the specs have changed so beyond generic advice specifics won't help as the exams are completely different. So a specific book or something won't nessesaraly help you. Sorry.
Original post by hellomynameisr
What parts of c4 help with physics?

Differential equations will help with both capacitors and nuclear decay.
Original post by oShahpo
Differential equations will help with both capacitors and nuclear decay.

So even doing Maths at AS won't even get you by? :banghead:
Original post by ColossalAtom
So even doing Maths at AS won't even get you by? :banghead:

It definitely will, but doing A2 Maths will give you a great advantage.

Quick Reply

Latest