The Student Room Group

DFID Graduate Development Scheme 2016

Hi everyone,

I thought I would create a 2016 thread for the DFID Graduate Scheme to get a discussion going. There's only 16 places, with no doubt few thousand applicants, so I imagine this year will be super competitive.

Does anyone have any tips in making your written competency examples stand-out?

Thanks for your help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Surprised to see no activity here. Is there another forum where people are talking about this years applications? I would be interested in keeping up to date with when people hear back.
Reply 2
Also how do you know there are only 16 places?
Original post by Tigger46
Also how do you know there are only 16 places?

There are currently only sixteen teams hiring one graduate each :smile: I've applied for the Africa Regional Humanitarian and Central Team.
Reply 4
Original post by Lillybingo
There are currently only sixteen teams hiring one graduate each :smile: I've applied for the Africa Regional Humanitarian and Central Team.

Oh I see, thank you. That's super competitive. I applied for the Youth and Education Department. Hopefully we hear something at some point soon.
Reply 5

Just looking back at the job advert and it mentions that you could either work in London or East Kilbride, so does that mean there are 16 places in each?
Just looking back at the job advert and it mentions that you could either work in London or East Kilbride, so does that mean there are 16 places in each?

I'm not entirely sure, but I know for the team that I applied for there was only one position and that it only offered a London placement. I'm sure that for the other placements that there are options when it comes to location, as when I applied there was a opportunity to express your preference.
Reply 7

Depends on the role. In some roles there is a choice of location, in others (like the Human Development role I applied for), it is based in Scotland only.

P.S - totally agree about how quiet this thread has been! The DFID grad scheme this year was barely advertised, perhaps why the deadline was extended!
Reply 8
Original post by IIXIXV
Depends on the role. In some roles there is a choice of location, in others (like the Human Development role I applied for), it is based in Scotland only.

P.S - totally agree about how quiet this thread has been! The DFID grad scheme this year was barely advertised, perhaps why the deadline was extended!

Yeah I was quite annoyed when I heard it was extended because I sent mine before the original deadline but didn't spend as much time as I would have liked on it because I suffered a break up just before haha, oh well c'est la vie.
Reply 9
Yeah I was quite annoyed when I heard it was extended because I sent mine before the original deadline but didn't spend as much time as I would have liked on it because I suffered a break up just before haha, oh well c'est la vie.

Do you have any idea as to the timeframe DFID work with for the Grad Scheme?
Original post by IIXIXV
Do you have any idea as to the timeframe DFID work with for the Grad Scheme?

What do you mean? Sorry
Reply 11
What do you mean? Sorry

As in when they may get back to people, when assessment days are etc.
Original post by IIXIXV
As in when they may get back to people, when assessment days are etc.

It says on the website that assessment centres are July/August, but they just got back to me today about my application informing me it was unsuccessful. Good luck to everyone else!
Reply 13
I've been invited to the assessment centre on 10 August. Anyone else progressed? Or any other ass centre dates (I may not be available on mine)? :'(
Reply 14

Hey, I thought you could only apply for one placement?
Original post by ropsey
I've been invited to the assessment centre on 10 August. Anyone else progressed? Or any other ass centre dates (I may not be available on mine)? :'(

I've got mine on the 10th as well! Which role did you apply for?
Reply 16
Original post by tehonlyone
I've got mine on the 10th as well! Which role did you apply for?

Congrats on getting through! I went for Africa Regional Dept - and my date got changed thankfully. Which role did you go for?
Original post by ropsey
Congrats on getting through! I went for Africa Regional Dept - and my date got changed thankfully. Which role did you go for?

Ah nice! I went for the Growth and Resilience one. How are you preparing for the assessment center?
Has anyone heard back having done an assessment centre yet? We were told we would hear this week but have received no info
Original post by outtaLeeds
Has anyone heard back having done an assessment centre yet? We were told we would hear this week but have received no info

Nope, not yet, they did say 2-3 weeks

Quick Reply

Latest