The Student Room Group

Anybody know if scar 'removal' is covered by the NHS?

i.e. the surgery of reopening and resealing the old wound to make it heal better or the skin grafting?
Original post by Napp
i.e. the surgery of reopening and resealing the old wound to make it heal better or the skin grafting?

Most cosmetic things aren't covered by the nhs I m afraid.
Original post by Napp

Unfortunately not, the best they can do is try to get you therapy to help you accept your scars or send you to some classes on how to cover scars with make up etc. If you really want to get scar treatment, I'm afraid that you will have to save up for the treatment. Many cosmetic surgery places are private, but work in partnership with the NHS so you know that they are safe to go to, and also you can often get a free consultation where you can find out about the price and whats best for you so you know how much money youll need
Reply 3
Original post by danuuutka
Unfortunately not, the best they can do is try to get you therapy to help you accept your scars or send you to some classes on how to cover scars with make up etc. If you really want to get scar treatment, I'm afraid that you will have to save up for the treatment. Many cosmetic surgery places are private, but work in partnership with the NHS so you know that they are safe to go to, and also you can often get a free consultation where you can find out about the price and whats best for you so you know how much money youll need

I thought it was covered if said scrs caused you distress or the like i.e. a facial burn victim would almost certainly be eligable but mine are just deep gouges from tripping over a razor wire fence not to mention the god awful job the nurse did at stitching them -.- but c'est la vie, thank you though! unfortunately where i live is full of a lot of sickly old people so my GP is usually booked for at least a month :frown:

Original post by claireestelle
Most cosmetic things aren't covered by the nhs I m afraid.

Any idea on the price for private?)
Original post by Napp
I thought it was covered if said scrs caused you distress or the like i.e. a facial burn victim would almost certainly be eligable but mine are just deep gouges from tripping over a razor wire fence not to mention the god awful job the nurse did at stitching them -.- but c'est la vie, thank you though! unfortunately where i live is full of a lot of sickly old people so my GP is usually booked for at least a month :frown:

It depends what kind of treatment you want. You could get anything from skin peels, laser scar removal, microdermabrasion etc
Original post by Napp

if i remember rightly the nuffield group suggested 1.5K as a ball park. but i maybe masively wrong as it was in a leaflet with no less than 20 other proceedures.
Reply 6
Original post by ScienceFantatic
It depends what kind of treatment you want. You could get anything from skin peels, laser scar removal, microdermabrasion etc

Im not very familiar with the different treatments suffice it to say the scars several inches long a cm wide and slightly raised, what would you advise as the appropriate procedure for me to enquire about?
Reply 7
Original post by Midgeymoo17
if i remember rightly the nuffield group suggested 1.5K as a ball park. but i maybe masively wrong as it was in a leaflet with no less than 20 other proceedures.

Ouch! I think I might just stick to long sleeves unless i win the lotto!
Original post by Napp

I don't know about the NHS as I live in the US, but I've been getting laser removal on my scars and it has really helped make them less obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Sabertooth
I don't know about the NHS as I live in the US, but I've been getting laser removal on my scars and it has really helped make them less obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah splendid, might I ask what sort of scars? As from what i can gather these various treatments are rather dependant on the size/type.
You could try using Biooil or scar removal creams?
I'm pretty sure you could, providing you sell your distress [well.]
Original post by Napp
Ah splendid, might I ask what sort of scars? As from what i can gather these various treatments are rather dependant on the size/type.

Most of them are about 5-15mm wide and range in length from less than a cm to about 12cm. My most recent ones are 5 years old so aren't red or raised anymore. The laser has made them appear thinner and less obvious - I've had 3 sessions so far and will probably need quite a few more as I have >50 scars. The guy doing it told me the laser cannot completely remove them and it might be an idea to get them tattooed with my skin color once he's finished with the laser but I'm going to wait and see how things look first.

Quick Reply

Latest