The Student Room Group

Please help me, I don't know what to do. Can't afford to live and do access course.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
Instead of doing an Access course, maybe a foundation year would be more suitable? That way you can claim student loans and live in university accommodation. Although I'm not sure how many foundation years will be in UCAS clearing... :dontknow:

That might actually be a good idea. However, one should be aware of different programmes that differ massively in their costs. There are integrated foundation years and other programmes.
Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd
I am due to start an access course in September. I was really excited about it. I am 24 years old.

I am looking to rent/share a property in the next month. I assumed I would be able to claim housing benefit to cover most of the cost. I have just found out that because the access course is classed as a full-time course I would not be entitled to housing benefit meaning I will not be able to afford this. Inquired with student finance about a maintenance loan but am not entitled to that either. So what am I entitled to?

It is honestly looking like I can't afford to do the access course and live at the same time. Am I missing something? I don't have a family to live with and because it's not university I don't have halls of residence to stay in. Aren't they missing out a huge proportion of adults who want to go back to education? Have called the college and they have said the only finance related thing I am entitled to is the advanced learner loan and that is just to cover course fee.

Am really in a bit of a mess. Any advice would be appreciated.

Before anybody mentions getting a job - i am looking for part-time work but my situation is very complicated and is not related to laziness.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, do you know about "Income-Support" (no Jobseeker's Allowance) or "Hardship Funds"? The following links might help a little.
https://www.gov.uk/income-support/eligibility
https://www.gov.uk/extra-money-pay-university/university-and-college-hardship-funds

There are, furthermore, benefit calculators/finders: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants
http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx?e2dwp=y
Thanks for all the replies. Appreciate it.

Have decided I will do everything within my power to still do this course. Am going to inquire about bursarys etc with the college.
Have sent an email to college inquiring about extra financial support. Applied for my advanced learner loan through student finance yesterday too.
Have sent an email to college inquiring about extra financial support. Applied for my advanced learner loan through student finance yesterday too.
Good luck.

There may be some charities willing to support people in your kind of situation - very often a few hundred pounds here and a few there can be put together to surprising effect. Try googling 'charitable educational bursaries' and see where that takes you.
Original post by Minerva
Good luck.

There may be some charities willing to support people in your kind of situation - very often a few hundred pounds here and a few there can be put together to surprising effect. Try googling 'charitable educational bursaries' and see where that takes you.

Thank you :smile: Will do.
Thanks for all the replies. Appreciate it.

Have decided I will do everything within my power to still do this course. Am going to inquire about bursarys etc with the college.

Pleasure, and also Good Luck!
Reply 27
I have just finished an access course and gained a place a good university. Here's what I did:

I was on 'universal credit' - the same as job seekers allowance - because I lost my job and struggled to get a new one straight away (this was before my course). Then when my course started, I was still on universal credit but my hours at work went down to 8 hours per week. I thought they would send me a letter taking me off beneifts, but they didn't and I stayed on despite being in full time education. So it's not a lot of money at all but it pays for rent, bills, food. The college give out bus passes. I don't feel guilty because I have never claimed benefits before and have been working for more than 10 years...

So you should be able to claim benefits while doing the course, just make sure you sort it out before the course, and then cut your hours at work down if you need to.. hope this helps
Reply 28
Original post by loooopppyyy
You either got a nice advisor who doesn't mind bending the rules a little or you withheld information.

I actually told them of my plans several times and they just said to wait until I start the course and then I could speak to them or whatever, they were really vague and didn't seem to mind either way, so I was lucky
Reply 29
Definitely, the helpline was another story entirely
Reply 30
Original post by Schadenfreude65
I don't know where you got this information from, but it's not correct. The entry requirements for mature students are generally different from those for school leavers, but it is virtually unheard of for a mature student to get a place with no qualifications. OP will need to do an Access course, A levels, or something equivalent.

Some universities do accept mature students without Access course/A levels; I only had GCSEs and (non-related) vocational qualifications when I started my degree as did a couple of other people in my class. We did have an exam and interview though.

At OP: Have you checked how many hours the full-time course is? The full-time Access course I looked into and a few people on my course did was specifically 15 hours so students could still claim benefits. This was a few years ago though so not sure if the rules would be different now.
Original post by gemmam
Some universities do accept mature students without Access course/A levels; I only had GCSEs and (non-related) vocational qualifications when I started my degree as did a couple of other people in my class. We did have an exam and interview though.

At OP: Have you checked how many hours the full-time course is? The full-time Access course I looked into and a few people on my course did was specifically 15 hours so students could still claim benefits. This was a few years ago though so not sure if the rules would be different now.

I am expected to be in college 9-4.30pm 3 days a week, however just got an email from the college saying in the past access courses have been considered part-time due to being 15 hours. I am really confused as my timetable is 21+ hours.
I am expected to be in college 9-4.30pm 3 days a week, however just got an email from the college saying in the past access courses have been considered part-time due to being 15 hours. I am really confused as my timetable is 21+ hours.

Just calculate the hours of your lessons and and add them up should come to less than 16 hours as you are gonna have breaks.

Are you studying just the access course?

Any GCSEs along side the course?

My rota is 9.30 till 4.30 monday and tursday 14 hours all in all.
Access to social work.
Reply 33

We had really long breaks.. On an average week it would be three 2.5 hour lessons and an additional 'tutorial' of 2.5 hours which was often optional.. Ask the college to clarify it for you
Reply 34
I am due to start an access course in September. I was really excited about it. I am 24 years old.

I am looking to rent/share a property in the next month. I assumed I would be able to claim housing benefit to cover most of the cost. I have just found out that because the access course is classed as a full-time course I would not be entitled to housing benefit meaning I will not be able to afford this. Inquired with student finance about a maintenance loan but am not entitled to that either. So what am I entitled to?

It is honestly looking like I can't afford to do the access course and live at the same time. Am I missing something? I don't have a family to live with and because it's not university I don't have halls of residence to stay in. Aren't they missing out a huge proportion of adults who want to go back to education? Have called the college and they have said the only finance related thing I am entitled to is the advanced learner loan and that is just to cover course fee.

Before anybody mentions getting a job - i am looking for part-time work but my situation is very complicated and is not related to laziness.

Thanks in advance.

If you're doing an access course you need to apply for the 24+ Adult Learner Loan. This is completely written off if you complete the course and go to University. Take a look here: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/overview

If you're living by yourself, you'll need to get a part time job as well and cut your spending right down. Bascially, be very frugal. It'll pay off in the long run though! Good luck!
Original post by JPO92
If you're doing an access course you need to apply for the 24+ Adult Learner Loan. This is completely written off if you complete the course and go to University. Take a look here: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/overview

If you're living by yourself, you'll need to get a part time job as well and cut your spending right down. Bascially, be very frugal. It'll pay off in the long run though! Good luck!

Hey. I applied for the learner loan and have had it approved. It's just the living costs over the coming year that I am really going to struggle with.

My college are going to send me a letter either confirming the course to be part or full-time in case I need to evidence it.
Hey. I applied for the learner loan and have had it approved. It's just the living costs over the coming year that I am really going to struggle with.

My college are going to send me a letter either confirming the course to be part or full-time in case I need to evidence it.

I am in the same boat as you. As long as your course is less than 15 hours, 59 minutes and 59 secs you are ok to claim JSA. It does not matter if it is full time or part time. All they are bothered about if it is less than 16 hours.

My access course is 14 hours alone but i may have to study maths along side it so that means it would be more than 16 hours. So i would not be able to stydy maths along side access as it is too many hours.
Reply 37

I would strongly suggest getting a part time job of at least 20 hours per week to support yourself. JSA will not be enough to live in and housing benefit, likewise will not be easy to live on.
Original post by JPO92
I would strongly suggest getting a part time job of at least 20 hours per week to support yourself. JSA will not be enough to live in and housing benefit, likewise will not be easy to live on.

In the middle of applying for a 16 hour jobs. I dont want no more than 20 hours though. As i have already got other commitments. I may even leave the access course till next september

Thanks in advance.

Hi Lizzie. I also did that access, which led me on to the degree, which altogether took me 9 years if you included the two year hospitalization i had in the middle. And it will test you. So even if you can't get funding for the access, you will be able to get funding for a full time degree. Also I also couldn't get a place on the degree without it, but i have heard about some people that have got on theatre studies degree in this way. Just from a good interview/audition. Jammy dodgers?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending