The Student Room Group

umar39's GCSE Journey

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JTran38
Haha giving me a lot more work to do. :/

I'm sorry! :biggrin: It'd be great to know more GCSE students though wouldn't it?
Reply 21
Original post by umar39
I'm sorry! :biggrin: It'd be great to know more GCSE students though wouldn't it?

Lol 172 (excludes myself) to tag for new Y11 thread.
Original post by JTran38
Lol 172 (excludes myself) to tag for new Y11 thread.

172? o.o At least we'll have some (very) active discussion :P
Reply 23
Original post by _gcx
172? o.o At least we'll have some (very) active discussion :P

Well, it's 172 people if all the people in my list are actually the new Y11s as I cba to check each person's profile individually. I hope it will be as lively as the current thread. At this moment of time, I can't confirm who will be running the new thread.
Original post by umar39
Yes, I have seen the knew specification and to be honest the English Literature section looks a lot harder than I initially thought it would be. The focus here on closed-book rather than open-book will just add to the difficulty in my opinion .

In terms of revising for english literature you could:
read the prose/texts/poems that you have learnt over Year 10 and make notes on all characters/themes as well as the key events (maybe on those nifty little revision cards you can buy at stationary stores)

try a few self-made or online practice questions (for example, compare the theme of love/affection in Cozy Apologia and Valentine). Once you have completed your timed session either you can self mark (using the AO specification) or ask your teacher to mark it for you. (This is an effective but long way to improve your writing capabilities)

Learn the context (particularly for poems). The focus on context is huge (about 30% from what I can remember) so it is vital that you take time to contextualize key events in the poem to some social/environmental/political/historical event occurring at the time and how this would affect the language/structure/key themes for the poem.

When you are writing analytical/comparative paragraphs you need to follow a structure to aid with coherency and ease for yourself as well as for the examiner. (Your teacher should have gone through a good method). I use a method known as PEE WET RATS for my paragraphs (funny i know!)

Spoiler

Apart from all of this you just have to understand that English takes much longer hours to prepare for than any other subject and this should not faze you. If you want the 8 or 9's I would suggest some light revision over the Summer. (maybe just reading through the texts once or twice/attempting some questions)

Good luck with achieving great grades :smile:

I would also add that for English lit when making notes on each character and theme just include three quotes from the beginning, middle and end of the play or book to show how the it/they have/haven't developed
Reply 25
Original post by matty1001
I would also add that for English lit when making notes on each character and theme just include three quotes from the beginning, middle and end of the play or book to show how the it/they have/haven't developed

Oh yeah! Thanks matty. :smile: I have pretty bad memory so I tend to forget important information like this. Now I've got to spend more time filtering through Lord of the Flies :frown:.
Reply 26
Unofficial Update (July 26th 2016)
Over the past 2 days I have completed revision notes for C1 and C2. It took me around 6 hours working through all the content as I am a bit slow to comprehend information. I have decided to leave out covalent and ionic bonding/miller urey theory and test for carbon dioxide as I want separate sections so my work remains organised (ie Types of Bonding,Key Theories, Tests for gases etc) :biggrin:. What really helped me with my notes was to use the Chemistry Specification. You can find that here!

At the moment the notes are a bit rough so I will intend to write them up again in a few weeks time this time with a colour coded system. Following this, I will condense my notes onto flash/revision cards.

My aims for Wednesday is to complete my B1 Notes. The topics can be found on the Biology Specification. (which is here!) Again, my notes will be rough until I have the time (and the motivation) to write them up neatly.

I will add the links to useful websites, specifications and other key sites on my original post!

Look out for my weekly update this Thursday for my plan over the next week! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
Weekly Update- (July 28th, 2016)
I have had a pretty busy week so far. I have lost/misplaced most of my school equipment so I had to go on a scavenge to find some pens. :emo:

Apart from that, here's how my first week went!

Maths: Nothing at the minute as I don't have my new textbook for next year. I may complete a few past papers from the new specification which can be found under 'Useful Websites and Specifications' in my OP. :smile:

Further Maths- Again, nothing.

English- Read through the first act of Macbeth and made some notes on the key character and the developing themes- I found it pretty enjoyable!

Spoiler

Biology- Completed my B1 Notes. (You can find the specification in my OP). The notes are rough so I intend to make them neater and more concise near the end of August (before Year 11). I also, as part of my note taking, went through a Unit 1 Past Paper and it was good. Made a silly error where I forgot the name of a plant hormone (it's called an auxin :colondollar:)

Chemistry- Completed my C1 Notes, again in rough. I used a variety of sources including my textbook, GCSE Specification, and exam papers (so I can model my answers according to exam technique to maximise the marks I can achieve).

Physics- This is the hardest Science for me so I'm holding off any work for now as the note taking involves a lot of diagrams which I want to get right!

Business and Economics- Reviewed the first chapter of the Business Textbook- refreshed my knowledge on the six sources of added value!

Spoiler

Design and Technology- Ai'nt nobody got time for dat! I have some important coursework to hand in in September so I really need to crack on. I'm quite behind on my coursework and I want an A*. :ahee:

Spoiler

Geography- Nothing as of yet! (Although I have some plans!)

German- the dreaded foreign language! Back away! I haven't done any work at all and this is a bit of a worry! :colonhash:

Spoiler

Religious Studies- Nothing as of yet!

Throughout this week, I have been very lazy and did not complete half the work that I wanted to complete. The extra work which included

B2 Notes

C2 Notes

Will run onto my next week's schedule! (I will post my schedule in a while- sometime today)

What's your opinion of the work I have done so far?
(Personally I feel like I've been quite lazy which is quite frustrating)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Plan for Next Week (July 28th, 2016-August 4th, 2016)
Over the next week I plan the following:

Complete B2 Notes (2 days)

Complete C2 Notes (2 days)

Complete a Past paper for Maths (1 day)

Make notes on Jack and Ralph (LoTF) for English (1 day)

Write a paragraph about my holiday so far and what I will do next (Perfect, Present and Future) (1 day)

Spoiler

If I (miraculously) complete all of these tasks I may

Complete notes for 1 Geography Case Study

Complete notes for Act 2 (Macbeth) for English

I have a busy week planned (non academically) so I will have to organise my time efficiently to get this work fitted in!
Reply 29
Original post by umar39
Weekly Update- (July 28th, 2016)
I have had a pretty busy week so far. I have lost/misplaced most of my school equipment so I had to go on a scavenge to find some pens. :emo:

Apart from that, here's how my first week went!

Maths: Nothing at the minute as I don't have my new textbook for next year. I may complete a few past papers from the new specification which can be found under 'Useful Websites and Specifications' in my OP. :smile:

Further Maths- Again, nothing.

English- Read through the first act of Macbeth and made some notes on the key character and the developing themes- I found it pretty enjoyable!

Spoiler

Biology- Completed my B1 Notes. (You can find the specification in my OP). The notes are rough so I intend to make them neater and more concise near the end of August (before Year 11). I also, as part of my note taking, went through a Unit 1 Past Paper and it was good. Made a silly error where I forgot the name of a plant hormone (it's called an auxin :colondollar:)

Chemistry- Completed my C1 Notes, again in rough. I used a variety of sources including my textbook, GCSE Specification, and exam papers (so I can model my answers according to exam technique to maximise the marks I can achieve).

Physics- This is the hardest Science for me so I'm holding off any work for now as the note taking involves a lot of diagrams which I want to get right!

Business and Economics- Reviewed the first chapter of the Business Textbook- refreshed my knowledge on the six sources of added value!

Spoiler

Design and Technology- Ai'nt nobody got time for dat! I have some important coursework to hand in in September so I really need to crack on. I'm quite behind on my coursework and I want an A*. :ahee:

Spoiler

Geography- Nothing as of yet! (Although I have some plans!)

German- the dreaded foreign language! Back away! I haven't done any work at all and this is a bit of a worry! :colonhash:

Spoiler

Religious Studies- Nothing as of yet!

Throughout this week, I have been very lazy and did not complete half the work that I wanted to complete. The extra work which included

B2 Notes

C2 Notes

Will run onto my next week's schedule! (I will post my schedule in a while- sometime today)

What's your opinion of the work I have done so far?
(Personally I feel like I've been quite lazy which is quite frustrating)

Don't worry about feeling lazy. Everybody feels that way, as it is the summer, and you're not actually obligated to do any extra work at all, so what you're doing at the moment is great either way.

Past papers is always a good place to start. I find them the most tedious and tiring to do when revising but incredibly helpful- it's good that you're motivated to do them in the first place!
Original post by umar39
Plan for Next Week (July 28th, 2016-August 4th, 2016)
Over the next week I plan the following:

Complete B2 Notes (2 days)

Complete C2 Notes (2 days)

Complete a Past paper for Maths (1 day)

Make notes on Jack and Ralph (LoTF) for English (1 day)

Write a paragraph about my holiday so far and what I will do next (Perfect, Present and Future) (1 day)

Spoiler

If I (miraculously) complete all of these tasks I may

Complete notes for 1 Geography Case Study

Complete notes for Act 2 (Macbeth) for English

I have a busy week planned (non academically) so I will have to organise my time efficiently to get this work fitted in!

I'm not sure whether this is the case with AQA, but Edexcel has released both their specimen paper and SAM, which you may want to take a peek at if AQA has released theirs, as it will be more relevant to the new specification, as opposed to the old one. But do note that your school may use them for mocks. You may find that the old course was noticeably easier-ish.

(Edit: They have: here)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by _gcx
I'm not sure whether this is the case with AQA, but Edexcel has released both their specimen paper and SAM, which you may want to take a peek at if AQA has released theirs, as it will be more relevant to the new specification, as opposed to the old one. But do note that your school may use them for mocks. You may find that the old course was noticeably easier-ish.

(Edit: They have: here)

Thanks for the link @_gcx . It will be very useful for my revision for my mocks! :smile:
The old course definitely seems to be easier for AQA. My results for that exam will be coming soon. (I'll probably aim for an A/A*- there were two awkward questions that I lost at least 6 marks on!)
Reply 32
Original post by iso.lde
Don't worry about feeling lazy. Everybody feels that way, as it is the summer, and you're not actually obligated to do any extra work at all, so what you're doing at the moment is great either way.

Past papers is always a good place to start. I find them the most tedious and tiring to do when revising but incredibly helpful- it's good that you're motivated to do them in the first place!

Hi iso.Ide
I find past papers more fun than notes. Notes take much longer and I can learn better from my mistakes!

Spoiler

Original post by umar39
Thanks for the link @_gcx . It will be very useful for my revision for my mocks! :smile:
The old course definitely seems to be easier for AQA. My results for that exam will be coming soon. (I'll probably aim for an A/A*- there were two awkward questions that I lost at least 6 marks on!)

Remember: You probably haven't even learnt everything in the paper! You're only in Year 10 so don't expect to know everything that's on Maths past papers. If you see stuff like vectors, functions, and the like, don't worry too much about it! (that goes for any linear subjects) If you want, discount those marks from your final score, if you haven't learnt them yet, just make sure you look at the markscheme to get an idea of how you would do such a question in the future! :biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by _gcx
Remember: You probably haven't even learnt everything in the paper! You're only in Year 10 so don't expect to know everything that's on Maths past papers. If you see stuff like vectors, functions, and the like, don't worry too much about it! (that goes for any linear subjects) If you want, discount those marks from your final score, if you haven't learnt them yet, just make sure you look at the markscheme to get an idea of how you would do such a question in the future! :biggrin:

Hi _gcx
I did my Maths GCSE this year so I had to learn the whole spec in one year! :s-smilie: Probably the most stress I've ever had! I know most of the topics for the new GCSE it's just the horror from Year 10 Maths that eats me alive every time I see a past paper *shudder*.
Original post by umar39
Hi _gcx
I did my Maths GCSE this year so I had to learn the whole spec in one year! :s-smilie: Probably the most stress I've ever had! I know most of the topics for the new GCSE it's just the horror from Year 10 Maths that eats me alive every time I see a past paper *shudder*.

Oh, I thought you were doing the past paper, lol. Well, good luck anyways! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 36
Original post by _gcx
Oh, I thought you were doing the past paper, lol. Well, good luck anyways! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Oh no lol! I'm still sitting the new GCSE as well in Year 11! :s-smilie: (which I really do not want to do- i find maths a bit hard!:redface:)
Original post by umar39
Small but Mighty!

Realising that I have procrastinated most of this week, I feel the need to get some work done! Here are my aims that should be completed before my first official update for this thread (Thursday June 28th, 2016):

Complete B1/B2 Notes

Complete C1/C2 Notes

This may not seem like a lot but I find it difficult diving head on into lots of work so I will progressively increase the workload. :crossedf:

Note:
For every weekly update I will specify what I have done over the last week and what my aims for the next week will be so I can't procrastinate as easily!! :biggrin:

OMG 'm doing thes ame thing! But instead I am bulking the revision notes per unit, I have ALMOST finished Chemistry AQA and I'm on C2!! It gets really boring though ....

I'm good at maths and I'll help you.

Edit: The AQA English Lang/Lit is worse.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by TheContingency
OMG 'm doing thes ame thing! But instead I am bulking the revision notes per unit, I have ALMOST finished Chemistry AQA and I'm on C2!! It gets really boring though ....

I'm good at maths and I'll help you.

Edit: The AQA English Lang/Lit is worse.

Hi @TheContingency
You've nearly finished Chemistry! :eek: Teach me your ways master! :biggrin:
I agree notes do get pretty boring and strenuous after a few hours! I just lose concentration and fall asleep.

Thanks for offering to help me with Maths. Would it be OK to PM you if I ever have a question?
Original post by umar39
Hi @TheContingency
You've nearly finished Chemistry! :eek: Teach me your ways master! :biggrin:
I agree notes do get pretty boring and strenuous after a few hours! I just lose concentration and fall asleep.

Thanks for offering to help me with Maths. Would it be OK to PM you if I ever have a question?

Yeah, but I must say I will not be as active. It depends on what you find difficult though. Just get a big ass revision guide with lots of practice books. Write down your notes, but find a "common structure". Take account of certain factors:

Spoiler

Make sure that you practise topic x after. On another piece of paper log your progress from the practise questions. So you know what you are good at. Practice is the most important part of maths. Make sure you buy a dozen practice books with answers.

I'm going to do 30 mins concept, 30 mins practice. Don't forget past papers!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest