The Student Room Group

Syrian refugees on Scottish island complain it is not exciting enough

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/25/syrian-refugees-resettled-on-remote-scottish-island-of-bute-comp/

A scheme designed to offer Syrian refugees a fresh start away from their war-torn homeland has backfired after two families said the Scottish island they were sent to is "full of old people waiting to die" and they would rather be in Glasgow or Manchester.

The Bute local authority volunteered to house these people, and they are also permitted to work so nothing is stopping them going to Manchester or Glasgow. Of course that would mean actually getting a job rather than expecting everything to be handed to them.

I'm so ****ing sick of these people. Two of the three violent/terrorist incidents in Germany this month were carried out by refugees. It was a mistake to let them in, they clearly despise us and our culture anyway.

Scroll to see replies

To be fair, I'm sure the people living in a lovely little idylic island weren't too impressed with people like that arriving.
Original post by MildredMalone
To be fair, I'm sure the people living in a lovely little idylic island weren't too impressed with people like that arriving.

The refugees admit the inhabitants of the island were extremely nice to them.

And I'm still unsure how their attitude justifies the ingratitude. If they are true refugees, fleeing violence and oppression, they would be glad to be in such a quiet, peaceful beautiful place.
Reply 3
This is ridiculous, they've been housed in such a beautiful place they've got the beach , nice clean air what more could they ask for ????
Reply 4
Also Bute is picturesque

Reply 5
They've been granted residence in a free country, one in which they are free to express opinions and ideas as they please. There's no law in place saying that refugees must act happy and gracious every moment they live in the country.

Being granted asylum isn't a magical cure-all for everything, of course they're going to run into problems. From reading TFA they seem pretty genuine. Simply dismissing complaints with a be-grateful-for-what-you-have attitude is exactly the sort of thing that leads to marginalisation; forcing people to live as outcasts is always going to cause strife.

Original post by AlexanderHam
The Bute local authority volunteered to house these people, and they are also permitted to work so nothing is stopping them going to Manchester or Glasgow. Of course that would mean actually getting a job rather than expecting everything to be handed to them.

Except they can't go to those cities because the scheme they're in doesn't permit them to move. Also the husband has tried to get a job and failed because, surprise surprise, jobs on a backwater Scottish island are pretty few and far between.
Original post by Jee1
This is ridiculous, they've been housed in such a beautiful place they've got the beach , nice clean air what more could they ask for ????

Just more more more more and more
What they also said was that they've moved to a place with no work available and would rather be somewhere they can find work as they're ashamed to have to rely on charity, alongside praising the Scottish for helping them.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/25/syrian-refugees-resettled-on-remote-scottish-island-of-bute-comp/

I'm so ****ing sick of these people. Two of the three violent/terrorist incidents in Germany this month were carried out by refugees. It was a mistake to let them in, they clearly despise us and our culture anyway.

I think your interpretation is quite harsh on the refugees. They seem like they want to work but how can get a job in Manchester? It would cost them a tonne to just get an interview there.
Reply 9
If they don't like it they can go back if they wish.
Reply 10
Original post by Jee1
Also Bute is picturesque

Terrible.
Reply 11
I think they are lucky to be alive and that they should be nothing but more than grateful and thankful to be placed in a beautiful country like scotland, it truly is wonderful. Theyre lucky theyre not being tortured like those refugees in other western european countries. We aren't in their situation - maybe its some other sort of depression theyre talking about - some post war depression or something. And their quiet tranquil surrounding adds to their paranoia and depression so they're not in their right mind in calling scotland depressing. You know what im trying to say? Or this isnt the case then they're just being naive and ignorant about the wonderful opportunity of LIFE they got given.
Original post by JamesN88
What they also said was that they've moved to a place with no work available and would rather be somewhere they can find work as they're ashamed to have to rely on charity, alongside praising the Scottish for helping them.

They were granted refuge in a place that offers 1st world education for their kids (and therefore a bright future) in a crime-free place where people leave their doors unlocked. My heart bleeds for them......
Lets send them somewhere more exiting, a war zone. every day you are living on the edge

Well it would appear a reporter has journeyed up and asked them what they DON'T like about the place. The refugees are probably right about small scottish islands being rather boring tbh... but they're not rioting about it or taking the postman hostage.

The British approach of taking refugee family groups out of the refugee camps surrounding Syria seems to be working better than the German system of encouraging people to turn up at the border under their own steam, the German way encouraged the large groups of single males to hiking across Europe that we saw last year, holding riots when officials in less prosperous countries than Germany tried to register them.
Reply 15
Cant argue with their logic there id be bummed to however beggars cant be choosers so if they dislike it that much by all means return.
Maybe the RAF could do some low flypasts and a few bombing exercises over the sea to make things more homely/exciting?
Original post by Dez
They've been granted residence in a free country, one in which they are free to express opinions and ideas as they please. There's no law in place saying that refugees must act happy and gracious every moment they live in the country.

Being granted asylum isn't a magical cure-all for everything, of course they're going to run into problems. From reading TFA they seem pretty genuine. Simply dismissing complaints with a be-grateful-for-what-you-have attitude is exactly the sort of thing that leads to marginalisation; forcing people to live as outcasts is always going to cause strife.

Except they can't go to those cities because the scheme they're in doesn't permit them to move. Also the husband has tried to get a job and failed because, surprise surprise, jobs on a backwater Scottish island are pretty few and far between.

Yeah, well since they hate it here and and so ungrateful, how about we don't let any more in?

The they won't be disappointed will they?
Reply 18
Original post by generallee
Yeah, well since they hate it here and and so ungrateful, how about we don't let any more in?

The they won't be disappointed will they?

Did the article ever say that they hate it here? No, it did not.
Original post by KimKallstrom
They were granted refuge in a place that offers 1st world education for their kids (and therefore a bright future) in a crime-free place where people leave their doors unlocked. My heart bleeds for them......

I just thought the picture being painted was a bit harsh, considering they're saying they'd rather be somewhere they can pay their way instead of living off the taxpayer.

Latest

Trending

Trending