The Student Room Group

Should we send back migrant boats?

Or should we accept them? Technically, they're coming illegally so surely we should send them back. We don't know who these people actually are, but then they are also people fleeing conflict. So there are arguments on both sides,

What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

If your first act in a country is a criminal one then you do not deserve to live here. Send them back, but give them the opportunity to apply legally like everybody else, if they do indeed have a legitimate claim to live here.
They should absolutely be sent back, and those whose boats sink should not be rescued.
Reply 3
Back where, exactly?
Original post by MildredMalone
They should absolutely be sent back, and those whose boats sink should not be rescued.

The devil speaks :mwuaha:
Reply 5

chill out satan

You sound like a nice person.
Something needs to be done humanely. Stop bombing them and support rebuilding efforts as a priority and then return the refugees once it is safe. Anything else and the terrorism just gets worse. :frown:
No we should stop them get everyone off sink the boat then return the people back to the country they cam from (Turkey)

When there are no boats left the tide will stop
Original post by Dez
Back where, exactly?

Given the bulk are coming from Turkey wouldn't this be Turkey?
Original post by Dez
Back where, exactly?

To where the boats came from I presume. Australia turns back migrant boats.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Something needs to be done humanely. Stop bombing them and support rebuilding efforts as a priority and then return the refugees once it is safe. Anything else and the terrorism just gets worse. :frown:

We're not bombing them. We're bombing ISIS. Unfortunately, there will be some civilian casualties but it's for a good cause.
We should not let boats sink- that's cruel af. However, we should turn the boats away when they come near our shores. We can't accept people who have not been screened as we don't know who they are- they could be terrorists.
I cannot believe I even gave this thread a minute of my time. Disgraceful.
Reply 14
Original post by BaconandSauce
Given the bulk are coming from Turkey wouldn't this be Turkey?

Original post by Trapz99
To where the boats came from I presume. Australia turns back migrant boats.

Most of these boats don't have a GPS tracker installed, and it's unlikely the migrants are carrying papers with them. And if your answer to that is to send them to Calais, well, good luck getting France to agree to that now that we're leaving the EU.
Reply 15
Original post by Dez
Back where, exactly?

Spain is doing this for a long time ago. They have a treaty with Marocco in which they can send migrant boats back to them, even with out noticing the authorities. What is more paradoxically, in this methods live are saved most than when you leave them to reach Europe.
Original post by Dez
Most of these boats don't have a GPS tracker installed, and it's unlikely the migrants are carrying papers with them. And if your answer to that is to send them to Calais, well, good luck getting France to agree to that now that we're leaving the EU.

But we do have the technology to track them

It's simply a matter of being willing to take action.
Original post by Ladbants
Or should we accept them? Technically, they're coming illegally so surely we should send them back. We don't know who these people actually are, but then they are also people fleeing conflict. So there are arguments on both sides,

What do you guys think?

If they reach your territorial waters then it becomes illegal to send them back if they claim asylum and you are a signatory to the 1951 convention on refugees.

Countries have undertaken to give genuine refugees a place of refuge and that means hearing any asylum seekers claim. Sending them back when they claim asylum would directly contravene the agreement the country was a signatory to.

The illegal argument is specifically catered for

Article31 of the 1951 Conventionrelating to the Status of Refugees provides as follows:

1.The ContractingStatesshall not impose penalties, on accountof their illegal entry or presence, on refugees who, coming directly from a territorywhere theirlife or freedom was threatened in the sense of Article 1, enter or are present in their territorywithout authorization,provided they present themselves without delay to the authorities and showgood cause for the iillegal entry or presence.

Theres quite detailed case law relating to "
coming directly from a territory"

Anyway my answer is no. As a member of the Security Council, one of the most developed, powerful and wealthy nations on the planet , that takes human rights seriously, then we have a duty to live up to our agreements and principles.
Original post by iEthan
I cannot believe I even gave this thread a minute of my time. Disgraceful.

But we don't know who is coming in these boats. There could be terrorists in there- ISIS has said that they will send us their 'soldiers' so we shouldn't accept these migrant boats. Instead, we should perhaps take some refugees directly from Syria after a rigorous vetting process like the US does.
Reply 19
Original post by BaconandSauce
But we do have the technology to track them

It's simply a matter of being willing to take action.

Do we? You're talking about monitoring the world's busiest shipping lane for every dinghy, motorboat and rubber duck, 24 hours a day. Not exactly a light undertaking, and all you'll determine from that is whether they set foot in France or not, really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending