The Student Room Group

Two men kidnap priest, take hostages in church near the French Rouen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hollande says they sided with ISIS.
Original post by Drunk Punx
I may have just woken up, but I'm still not sure how that actually relates to you condemning someone as immoral for fearing that far-right nationalists will start attacking Muslims as a result of recent events.

In an interesting turns of events, I would actually say you're more immoral for insinuating that such fears are unfounded and are therefore not worth worrying about... which is a seemingly strange position to hold given that you also think that the West should be held to account for killing Muslims. Quite the contradiction, no?

Sooner or later there will be some kind of civil war, the only debateable thing is when.
Original post by KatieBlogger
Yes but we (Britain) have done nothing about Syria. Personally, I believe that it's because our leaders are too scared of another Iraq and being vilified like Blair. They need to grow some balls and act.

Agree, after the cluster**** that was Iraq 2.0, no UK politician is going to start a full blown war in Syria that isn't supported by a majority of the public, the UN, and a coalition of nations including Russia, the USA and Syria's neighbours (can't see that happening). Especially now after Chilcot has revealed how obsessed Blair was with starting a war, public trust in politicians has been shattered by that for a long time I believe.

It would potentially be the death of the Tory party even against a Labour opposition fronted by the ridiculously unpopular (at least among the genaral public) Corbyn!

Plus the financial crash and austerity and all that, we can't actually afford a full blown war these days.

Public opinion might change though these terrorist attacks keep on becoming increasingly more frequent and violent.
Original post by The_Opinion
"Screw up our politics" What?????

Economy does not matter, what use is a strong economy if we are dead. The issue of migration will destroy the economy in the long run anyway.

Why do we have to take the whole package? Why not have politicians that pick the best of both worlds?
Original post by Drunk Punx
I may have just woken up, but I'm still not sure how that actually relates to you condemning someone as immoral for fearing that far-right nationalists will start attacking Muslims as a result of recent events.

In an interesting turns of events, I would actually say you're more immoral for insinuating that such fears are unfounded and are therefore not worth worrying about... which is a seemingly strange position to hold given that you also think that the West should be held to account for killing Muslims. Quite the contradiction, no?

1. Far-right is not Hitler
2. Far-right policy is not bombing Islamic countries
3. Liberal establishment has been bombing Muslims for the past 50 years
4. Far-right wants separatism
5. Muslims also want to be left alone

2016 and people still think liberals care about Muslims
Original post by 1010marina
Unfortunately a lot of people in this country identify more with people from the ME than the victims of these terror attacks. A significant chunk of our population does not want us at war with our attackers

I hate to say it but this applies to most British Muslims at the moment and certainly to the vast majority of SJWs and absolutely to Momentum, the driving force behind the current direction of the main opposition party in this country. We have a massive problem on our hands here....
Original post by KatieBlogger
Yes but we (Britain) have done nothing about Syria. Personally, I believe that it's because our leaders are too scared of another Iraq and being vilified like Blair. They need to grow some balls and act.

Well, attacking Syria will only bring us more terrorists attacks in the UK
Reply 107
Original post by childofthesun
No, it really isn't. Islam has certain rules regarding warfare.Before engaging in battle(must be for Islamically justified reasons which today's attack was not), the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) instructed his soldiers:
1. “Do not kill any child, any woman, or any elder or sick person.” (Sunan Abu Dawud)

2. “Do not practice treachery or mutilation.(Al-Muwatta)

3. Do not uproot or burn palms or cut down fruitful trees.(Al-Muwatta)

4. Do not slaughter a sheep or a cow or a camel, except for food.” (Al-Muwatta)

5. “If one fights his brother, [he must] avoid striking the face, for God created him in the image of Adam.” (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim)

6. “Do not kill the monks in monasteries, and do not kill those sitting in places of worship. (Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

7. “Do not destroy the villages and towns, do not spoil the cultivated fields and gardens, and do not slaughter the cattle.” (Sahih Bukhari; Sunan Abu Dawud)

8. “Do not wish for an encounter with the enemy; pray to God to grant you security; but when you [are forced to] encounter them, exercise patience.” (Sahih Muslim)

9. “No one may punish with fire except the Lord of Fire.” (Sunan Abu Dawud).

10. “Accustom yourselves to do good if people do good, and to not do wrong even if they commit evil.” (Al-Tirmidhi)
Perhaps (although several of these are contradicted by passages in the Quran and sunnah), but as we are constantly told, all the stuff relating to fighting and violence only applies to the time of Muhammad. It doesn't apply in 21st century Europe.
Daily Mail (reliable, I know) reports that the attackers shouted 'Daesh'. Bit weird, given that ISIS doesn't want people to use the word Daesh.
Shooting reported in a German hospital
Reply 110
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Oh okay. My mistake. I've always heard it was derogatory by the media.
That's because certain interests want to remove any mention of "Islam" when referring to Islamic State. Because Islam is the Religion of Peace and therefore can have nothing to do with Islamist violence.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
1. Far-right is not Hitler
2. Far-right policy is not bombing Islamic countries
3. Liberal establishment has been bombing Muslims for the past 50 years
4. Far-right wants separatism
5. Muslims also want to be left alone

2016 and people still think liberals care about Muslims

I'm not talking about war on an international scale, I'm talking about civilians/politically-related groups who instigate "revenge" killings or beatings on behalf of those murdered by terrorists.

I'm no lover of Islam, but innocent Muslims shouldn't have to suffer for the actions of extremists, and I think that that is, in a nutshell, the point the person whom you called "immoral" was trying to make.
Original post by oShahpo
Why do we have to take the whole package? Why not have politicians that pick the best of both worlds?

I don't understand your comment here, please expand.

Original post by oShahpo
Well, attacking Syria will only bring us more terrorists attacks in the UK

Not necessarily, not if you don't let people migrate here.
Original post by The_Opinion
I don't understand your comment here, please expand.

Not necessarily, not if you don't let people migrate here.

I mean why can't we restrict immigration without voting in an immature far-right party? Why do we have to take the whole far-right package?
For example, anyone might agree with some of UKIP's immigration policies but most, if not all, of their other policies are really awful.

As for the second part of your comment, what about the Muslims here? Don't you think they might be radicalised then?
When the the French people start to get really angry about all of this, Le Pen will be waiting.

But that could just be the start of it. If Le Pen introduces extremely repressive measures against Muslims (and she is a fascist, after all) there could be outright civil war between the French State and its own Muslim population.

Executions, internment, mass deportations God knows. Fascist states do what they want to their own people, they don't observe international law.

If French Muslims don't get a grip on this and start informing on the terrorists from within their own communities to the authorities before these atrocities, things are going to start to go very badly for them. And for the rest of France too.
Reply 115
If the attackers prooves to be muslims than you left-wingers have blood on their hands as you caused the first attack of Islam on the Roman Catholic Church in Europe since 1995. And I hope you idiots who love to ***** about Christianity yet have no guts to critise Islam to go in hell. This is becoming personal.
Original post by oShahpo
I mean why can't we restrict immigration without voting in an immature far-right party? Why do we have to take the whole far-right package?
For example, anyone might agree with some of UKIP's immigration policies but most, if not all, of their other policies are really awful.

As for the second part of your comment, what about the Muslims here? Don't you think they might be radicalised then?

"if not all" -which economy destroying policies are these?

It is either or, the establishment style politicians are too weak to do what is necessary, they will not be able to protect the public, look at France, why do you think FN are more popular than practically ever.

The far right are actually good for business, remember, tats how the Western world become rich in the first place, if you went to 1800 UK, France, USA etc., you would consider them far right.

In the long run the Muslims in the UK will either take over the UK or mainly leave the UK, which it will be I don't know, but current trends clearly show that.
Original post by slaven
If the attackers prooves to be muslims than you left-wingers have blood on their hands as you caused the first attack of Islam on the Roman Catholic Church in Europe since 1995. And I hope you idiots who love to ***** about Christianity yet have no guts to critise Islam to go in hell. This is becoming personal.

The pope is already in their sights, although I don't like the current Pope, I wouldn't cry for him. The Catholic church needs a strong leader, he is as cucked as all Western leaders.
Reply 118
Original post by oShahpo
Don't know if you know this but France IS bombing the shell out of Syria at the moment.
It's only Russia that is involved in intensive bombing. The US/UK/France, etc, are only involved in limited, surgical strikes.

And remember that the UK was castigated by many British Muslims for initially refusing to carry out air strikes in Syria! Now that we are carrying out strikes, other Muslims claim this is justification for terrorism.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Original post by QE2
It's only Russia that is involved in intensive bombing. The US/UK/France, etc, are only involved in limited, surgical strikes.

And remember that the UK was castigated by many British Muslims for initially refusing to carry out air strikes in Syria! Now that we are carrying out strikes, other Muslims claim this is justification for terrorism.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

That's politics for ya :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending