The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi there,

I'm afraid that one is beyond me. You'll have to contact admissions: 020 7882 8478.

Barts love,
Will

Ok, will do, thanks anyway
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 121
Hi there!

Thanks so much for having this thread setup.

I'm very interested in applying for your program, but am concerned about competitiveness especially since I'm a non-science graduate, who also happens to be a non-EU international.

I understand that for graduates, grades prior are not really used to make any decisions (save for min requirements?). Here are my stats:

International Bacc
Chem, Bio, Math, Eng: 7, 6, 6, 5 at HL
Psychology, Mandarin B: 6, 7, at SL

Bachelor's Degree (Business)
CGPA at New York University: 3.62

UKCAT
Avg 717 (just took it this past weekend)

I understand that UKCAT is really the only metric used for graduate students and they tend to have higher requirements as opposed to non-grad applicants; am I also looked at separately as an international student as well? Are there any statistics about UKCAT scores required for international grad students that can be shared?

Thanks!
Reply 122
Hi there Will and thanks for your support!

I would like to ask if I can have an idea of the weekly timetable for the first 2 years at Barts?

Also, do you know what our term dates are? Are they the same as all other Queen Mary students?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Original post by medstudent1010
What is the social life at Dawson hall like?are there many nearby nightclubs?also if people go out partying in the student union how do people get back to Dawson hall from the student union at night

Hi there, great questions!

I lived in Dawson Hall in my first year and thought the social life was great! Because everyone is either a medic or a dentist, we all get on very well. It just so happens that some of the most famous nightclubs in the world are within walking distance!

Getting back from The Griffin (our student union) is pretty easy. You could run to get the last train (about half past midnight) or jump on the bus. Alternatively, you could cycle or, as i did a few times, walk. You could also jump in a taxi.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by rayrk
Hi there!

Thanks so much for having this thread setup.

I'm very interested in applying for your program, but am concerned about competitiveness especially since I'm a non-science graduate, who also happens to be a non-EU international.

I understand that for graduates, grades prior are not really used to make any decisions (save for min requirements?). Here are my stats:

International Bacc
Chem, Bio, Math, Eng: 7, 6, 6, 5 at HL
Psychology, Mandarin B: 6, 7, at SL

Bachelor's Degree (Business)
CGPA at New York University: 3.62

UKCAT
Avg 717 (just took it this past weekend)

I understand that UKCAT is really the only metric used for graduate students and they tend to have higher requirements as opposed to non-grad applicants; am I also looked at separately as an international student as well? Are there any statistics about UKCAT scores required for international grad students that can be shared?

Thanks!

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

Your stats look promising and I'd say you have a good shot! However, this is more a thread for asking about student life and the content of the programme. I'm not an admissions expert and your questions are quite detailed! You should probably give admissions a ring: 020 7882 8478.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by docemm
Hi there Will and thanks for your support!

I would like to ask if I can have an idea of the weekly timetable for the first 2 years at Barts?

Also, do you know what our term dates are? Are they the same as all other Queen Mary students?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi there, thanks for the questions!

First and second year are pretty similar in terms of their content. In a week, you may have:

- Roughly 10 hours of lectures
- An anatomy or physiology practical (or both)
- A clinical placement (either 'medicine in society' or 'extended patient contact ':wink:
- Two 2-hour PBL sessions
- A clinical skills session
- The occasional one-off practical class (manual handling, suturing etc.)
- Student selected component time

This will vary each week but this is the 'average week'. I'm reluctant to give you anything too detailed as it may be different by the time you are here!

Again, term dates change on a yearly basis. However, term dates at Barts aren't the same as QMUL. We have longer terms and no reading weeks. In third year at least, we also start earlier than QMUL.

I hope this helps!

Barts love,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 126
Hi Will,

I wanted to know if the night life is good near Floyer house? Are there good clubs and bars, but that aren't too expensive?

Also, Are you allowed to invite guests to stay over in your room ??

Thanks in advance
Hello will,as you lived in Dawson hall I imagine you'd be able to answer this.How many floors are there in Dawson? And do the room numbers begin with what floor you are?
Hey Will!

I'm pretty much sold on 3 of my 4 choices for med- now it's just down to whether or not I'd like to apply to the Barts.

The sole reason for my hesitation would be the PBL aspect which is, from what I've read, used at the Barts a more than other unis that follow an integrated-style teaching.

Would you say the course leans more towards PBL or integrated?

How many students are usually assigned to a group for PBL sessions?

Thank you so much in advance :biggrin:
Alexandra
Original post by loubo
Hi Will,

I wanted to know if the night life is good near Floyer house? Are there good clubs and bars, but that aren't too expensive?

Also, Are you allowed to invite guests to stay over in your room ??

Thanks in advance

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

The Griff Inn (our students union) is right next to Floyer and I've had many a good night in there! There are a few bars and nice pubs dotted around Whitechapel. Floyer is a short walk to Brick Lane, Shorditch and Aldgate, all with bars and clubs. You could also jump on a bus into Central London (15 mins max) or hop on the tube to pretty much anywhere. Remember that we'll have a 24 tube network within a few months. Prices are variable but if you know where to go (and at what time), you can definitely have a good night out on a budget.

Yes - guests can stay over occasionally as long as they don't cause any disturbance to your flatmates.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by medstudent1010
Hello will,as you lived in Dawson hall I imagine you'd be able to answer this.How many floors are there in Dawson? And do the room numbers begin with what floor you are?

Hi there. What a specific question! Hopefully I'll pass your test of authenticity! :smile:

There are seven floors (although I never ventured up that far). And yes, at least in the majority of cases, the room numbers begin with the floor.

Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Barts love,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Do they rely heavily on the UKCAT for admissions?
Original post by alexandra_s
Hey Will!

I'm pretty much sold on 3 of my 4 choices for med- now it's just down to whether or not I'd like to apply to the Barts.

The sole reason for my hesitation would be the PBL aspect which is, from what I've read, used at the Barts a more than other unis that follow an integrated-style teaching.

Would you say the course leans more towards PBL or integrated?

How many students are usually assigned to a group for PBL sessions?

Thank you so much in advance :biggrin:
Alexandra

Hi there Alexandra, thanks for getting in touch.

As I'm sure you know, all medical schools are required to include PBL to some extent. Some use it more than others but Barts is typical in the amount of time dedicated to PBL. During the first 2 years you'll spend more time in lectures than in PBL. For me, the amount of my time spent studying PBL is probably the same as studying lectures. However, the amount of time you dedicate to PBL each week depends on personal preference. If you prefer traditional lecture-styled teaching you can definitely get away with just spending a few hours per week studying the PBLs (as long as you also study the lecture material). However, if you're like me and enjoy PBL you can spend more time on it each week. It's important to note that PBLs correspond with the lectures that you will receive in any given week meaning. There are typically between 6 to 8 people in a PBL session.

I hope this gives you an idea of how Barts use PBL. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by ib_hopeful
Do they rely heavily on the UKCAT for admissions?

Hi there,

I don't work for admissions so I'm not sure of the specific policy in regards to UKCAT. However, my UKCAT was pretty average and was successful anyway.

Barts love,
Will
Hi there!

I understand there are some formal events at Barts, should I therefore buy a black suit now in advance? or are these events something only select few go to.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read,Regards,
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi there,

I don't work for admissions so I'm not sure of the specific policy in regards to UKCAT. However, my UKCAT was pretty average and was successful anyway.

Barts love,
Will

Ah that's great news! I'm an international student and not at all familiar with the UKCAT.

You don't have to tell me your score, but what score would you say is good enough?
Hello. Could you maybe explain to me how medicine works at Barts and the London because I went to Whitechapel a few weeks ago and couldn't understand where medicine is taught exactly. Thanks in advance!
Original post by natalia.medicine
Hello. Could you maybe explain to me how medicine works at Barts and the London because I went to Whitechapel a few weeks ago and couldn't understand where medicine is taught exactly. Thanks in advance!

It's primarily taught in the Perrin lecture theatre in years 1 + 2. It's located just behind the Royal London (big glass building), with a few tutorials (anatomy, mostly.) down the road at Queen Mary in Mile End, approx 15 minute walk.

In years 3+, lecture blocks (2-3 weeks at a time) are scattered around; some are in Whitechapel but in the Garrod building (near the Perrin), some are at the Homerton, some are at Barts hospital in Smithfield. Obviously clinical placements are either in infirm hospitals (Whipps X, Homerton, Newham, Barts, The Royal London, Queens, King Georges), or out firms (Harlow, Broomfield, Colchester, Southend). GPs are all over the place in the East.

You can google all these place names and look on street view if you don't know the area that well.
Original post by Medstudent999
Hi there!

I understand there are some formal events at Barts, should I therefore buy a black suit now in advance? or are these events something only select few go to.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read,Regards,

There's plenty of opportunities to go to black tie events, particularly if you're a member of a sport club.

In first year, there's a boat ball at the end of freshers, Christmas sports dinners & the assocation dinner at the end of the year. Halfway dinner at the end of 3rd year +/- any other society dinners.
Original post by RollerBall
It's primarily taught in the Perrin lecture theatre in years 1 + 2. It's located just behind the Royal London (big glass building), with a few tutorials (anatomy, mostly.) down the road at Queen Mary in Mile End, approx 15 minute walk.

In years 3+, lecture blocks (2-3 weeks at a time) are scattered around; some are in Whitechapel but in the Garrod building (near the Perrin), some are at the Homerton, some are at Barts hospital in Smithfield. Obviously clinical placements are either in infirm hospitals (Whipps X, Homerton, Newham, Barts, The Royal London, Queens, King Georges), or out firms (Harlow, Broomfield, Colchester, Southend). GPs are all over the place in the East.

You can google all these place names and look on street view if you don't know the area that well.

Thank you very much!!

Latest

Trending

Trending