The Student Room Group

Enough spending money?

Hi :smile:

I get £375.33 a month in student loans, this pays for my car, petrol, phone bill, insurance and dog insurance lol.

I get £50 allowance from my dad, this would this be just for me each month as I would be staying at home and all food etc is paid for my by family.. I would get a part time job but I can't juggle things around, I want 100% focus on my computer science degree, I'm aiming for a first.. Looking for opinions? People who are in the same situation?
£375 doesn't sound like a lot to cover everything you mention but you know best. It's also very dependent on city and lifestyle. Have a think of what you currently spend on. A part time job is definitely doable with a full time course but you have to manage your time well.
Original post by alleycat393
£375 doesn't sound like a lot to cover everything you mention but you know best. It's also very dependent on city and lifestyle. Have a think of what you currently spend on. A part time job is definitely doable with a full time course but you have to manage your time well.

I'm going to Hertfordshire university :smile:

Car finance: 100
Petrol: 100
Insurance: 110
Phone bill: 65

I just don't know what to do :frown: I don't want a job as this is my last chance. I dropped out of Greenwich university last year as I couldn't juggle 3 days a week work and 4 days university.

I'm scared that I won't be able to work Saturday and Sunday and university 4 days a week at Hertfordshire :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Not sure what you want me to say tbh. It looks like you've made up your mind already and I've given my opinion so good luck!
Original post by Jodiekelly1995

Car finance: 100
Petrol: 100
Insurance: 110
Phone bill: 65

Are these your outgoings? In that case you need £375 a month but will have £375.33 + £50 coming in. So you can just about do it.

That said - £65 on phones each month is bonkers. You should be able to get the top of the range whatever with unlimited everything for less than £40 and if you are a bit cunning you can do it for so much less than that. If you don't have much money, you can't afford to spend that much on phonage. I am not that well off and have a 4 year old handset and pay £12 a month for a sim only contract.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending