The Student Room Group

Two men kidnap priest, take hostages in church near the French Rouen

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skeptical_john
There's an important distinction here between my word 'liberal' and yours 'moderate' by liberal I tolerant and open others way of livings (ok with LGBT/apostasy etc). I also think moderates tend to see the quran as the word of god whereas liberal muslims do not.

I am an atheist and obviously do not share their view however I see it as unrealistic to say that 1.5 billion muslims will suddenly turn atheist if we just say it's bollox it is much more probable that that they can be convinced having your religion and a peaceful, tolerant way of life is compatible but only if there are role models for that way of life.

I cant find much to disagree with here.The only thing I would say is that history is filled with dead gods who were thought immortal.With the exception of parts of America the west has become very much secular and religion isnt taken as seriously as it used to be.So this proves that it is possible to get rid of a religion.Science has played a large part in the decline of christianity so if more muslims recieved an education in science they'd likely take their faith less seriously.You have to remember that christianity was once just as barbaric the only problem is that now we have 21st century technology.
Its really time to start Operation Rolling Thunder 2..............
Original post by QE2
The RAF has been carrying out attacks on targets in Syria since 2015.

Didn't Parliament reject air-attacks on Syria?
Reply 143
Original post by oShahpo
Didn't Parliament reject air-attacks on Syria?
Initially in 2014, yes, but it was re-presented to Parliament in December 2015 when it passed.
Original post by QE2
Initially in 2014, yes, but it was re-presented to Parliament in December 2015 when it passed.

Oh, thanks for correcting me.
There's no point beating around the bush.

The Muslim communities in the UK consistently condemn the 'xenophobic outbreaks' as a result of these attacks more than the attacks themselves.

It leads to many people snidely coming to the conclusion that most either have terrorist sympathies, are outright supporters, or have no overall opinion. Whether that's true or not is a matter for those communities but all this finger pointing online is ridiculous. Get your imam to release a statement that condemns IS attacks, especially this one in CHURCH against a priest, it's awful. If you cannot do that because you prescribe more closely to the Daesh ideology, please direct yourself to the nearest part of the 'caliphate'.
Where are all the Muslims of TSR condemning this attack?
Original post by 1010marina

The Muslim communities in the UK consistently condemn the 'xenophobic outbreaks' as a result of these attacks more than the attacks themselves.

It leads to many people snidely coming to the conclusion that most either have terrorist sympathies, are outright supporters, or have no overall opinion. Whether that's true or not is a matter for those communities but all this finger pointing online is ridiculous. Get your imam to release a statement that condemns IS attacks, especially this one in CHURCH against a priest, it's awful. If you cannot do that because you prescribe more closely to the Daesh ideology, please direct yourself to the nearest part of the 'caliphate'.

The sooner someone puts boots on the ground, the better. I don't care who it is.
Original post by cashcash871
Where are all the Muslims of TSR condemning this attack?

Is that a joke?
Reply 149

One must be carefull when the Islamic community dondemns Islamic terrorist attacks because it is possible they are using taqyya. Muslims are allowed to lie to kufrs if this "helps Islam"-
Original post by slaven
One must be carefull when the Islamic community dondemns Islamic terrorist attacks because it is possible they are using taqyya. Muslims are allowed to lie to kufrs if this "helps Islam"-

I never knew about this - just had a quick Google. Disgusting.

On the other hand, even a half-assed attempt is better than radio silence.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
WHAT. I'm really worried about the future of Europe. How am I a terrible person??

Because you're more worried about a 'right wing backlash' than actual terror attacks? You're not saying 'oh no, another terror attack' you're saying 'oh no, there are going to be more Islamaphobic attacks'.

Your priorities are in the complete wrong place. The fact that you're worried about a terror attack only because of the possibility of a right wing protest or march against Islam makes you worse than a terrible person.
Reply 152
I never knew about this - just had a quick Google. Disgusting.

On the other hand, even a half-assed attempt is better than radio silence.

Yes, and all thoose supposed refugees that come from Afganistan or Norther Africa lie that they are refugees only to to come to Europe to "spread Islam"
Original post by QE2
It's only Russia that is involved in intensive bombing. The US/UK/France, etc, are only involved in limited, surgical strikes.

And remember that the UK was castigated by many British Muslims for initially refusing to carry out air strikes in Syria! Now that we are carrying out strikes, other Muslims claim this is justification for terrorism.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yep, "limited, surgical strikes". How naive can someone be.
Religion of peace strikes again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dear B-52's, I know you had your prime in the 60's but you served us very well for the last 50 years. Its time that you commence your last mission before retirement.

Those so-called laser guided precision strikes dont work too well.....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Napp
We truly do live in strange and disturbing times when people execute a priest.

Attacks on Christians at prayer have been happening all over the Muslim world in recent times. In Iraq, Syria, Nigeria, Pakistan, Egypt. This is only big news because it happened in France.

And it has many historical precedents; this is from Donald Nicol's book on the capture of Constantinople (modern Istanbul) by the Ottomans on 29 May 1453....

"The sack and plunder of the city began as soon as the first Turks broke in, and as the day wore on there seemed no end to it. The conquerors were impatient to collect the rewards of their victory. Every living thing that stood in their way was slaughtered and the streets ran with blood... Rumour had it that the greatest treasures of all were to be found in St. Sophia, and the janissaries were eager to be the first to get there. The church was packed with terrified people. The doors had been bolted; but the soldiers quickly broke their way in and set to work tearing down the gold and silver omaments, murdering those who got in their way, and squabbling over the possession of the more desirable captives. For there was no means of escape. The male prisoners were tied together with ropes, the women were bound by their own veils and girdles and dragged away. The great church rang with the screams and tears of human beings so suddenly reduced to the state of tortured animals. The priests who had been celebrating the morning liturgy at the high altar when the Turks broke in were never seen again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 158
Original post by Rk2k14
Yep, "limited, surgical strikes". How naive can someone be.
Hmm... so a photo of a message on a JDAM guided bomb means that they are not conducting surgical strikes?

I think perhaps "naive" would be a compliment in your case.
Original post by QE2
Hmm... so a photo of a message on a JDAM guided bomb means that they are not conducting surgical strikes?

I think perhaps "naive" would be a compliment in your case.

Guided bombs that ended up killing 100s of civilians. Kinda defeats the purpose of a surgical strike wouldn't you say?

Stick to your agenda mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending