The Student Room Group

How often are you genuinely happy?

When was the last time you were just happy?

I don't know about you, but does anyone else feel that as they've gone older, they've lost that sense of mindless happiness we have as children? Of being happy, just because.

It so rarely happens to me now, as I spend most of my day thinking about the struggles of life, finding work, relationships, quarrels with family, personal failings etc.
But I remember as a child just feeling pure and simple happiness, that wasn't related to personal achievement, or excitement about going out with friends. Just happiness.

I have memories of going for walks with my grandad and sister and just having this warm, feeling of innocent happiness. The only time I get that feeling now is when reminiscing about times I felt like that.

I can't help but wonder though, is that what growing up is? Is simple happiness a rare, dying luxury as we age rather than a default?

One of my favourite memories as a child involves just me and my two sisters lying on the bed in my parents room, and the sun blazing in on us, and just feeling happy. Content. It's such a small, non-significant memory, but I just remember feeling so happy in that moment.
I want to feel like that again,

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

I don't know about you, but does anyone else feel that as they've gone older, they've lost that sense of mindless happiness we have as children? Of being happy, just because.

It so rarely happens to me now, as I spend most of my day thinking about the struggles of life, finding work, relationships, quarrels with family, personal failings etc.
But I remember as a child just feeling pure and simple happiness, that wasn't related to personal achievement, or excitement about going out with friends. Just happiness.

I have memories of going for walks with my grandad and sister and just having this warm, feeling of innocent happiness. The only time I get that feeling now is when reminiscing about times I felt like that.

I can't help but wonder though, is that what growing up is? Is simple happiness a rare, dying luxury as we age rather than a default?

One of my favourite memories as a child involves just me and my two sisters lying on the bed in my parents room, and the sun blazing in on us, and just feeling happy. Content. It's such a small, non-significant memory, but I just remember feeling so happy in that moment.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/audiobook/the-power-of-now-unabridged/id315593697
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

I 100% agree with you. Im rarely happy/content nowadays, especially since I dont have a job or a driving licence at the age of 22.
If I get a decent paid job and a car, I will be happy. I think we should just keep working towards our goals and once we get there we will be happy.
happiness is a brief moment, personally i rarely feel it.
Reply 4
Never.
Reply 5
True, even though it's summer I'm still stressed, working, babysitting, worrying about results day, panicking if I'm going to get into year 13, Stressing about my birthday.

The only time I'm truly happy is when I run.
Reply 6
I can't remember a time where I was truly happy as in there was no mental condition getting in the way and dulling the happiness I was feeling tbh :dontknow:

I've definitely felt happiness at times, even at my worst but can't remember feeling pure happiness and nothing else behind it.
Rarely. Idk why but im never happy these days. Happiness is a rare gift in my opinion that some people are blessed with.
I have moments of extreme euphoria but i wouldn't necessarily call that 'happy' it is more like im really upset so pretend not to be and try to convince myself that i am indeed happy.
I get really rash so that 'euphoria' is more like a sort of i dont care anymore feeling rather than happy if that makes any sense at all.
It takes quite a lot for me to be truly content, im at my happiest when im getting stuck into an art project and have a purpose but it is quite easy for me to be happy for say half an hour if someone districts me enough :smile:
Spend more time with children. They will teach you complete and utter transfixed joy at the smallest of things.

Simplicity and trust are the root of happiness.
I don't know why people imagine happiness as a sort of permanent feeling, perhaps childhood is the exception, but we grow up! I guess we have happy moments, some longer than others but they fade. Life isn't all sunshine and rainbows unfortunately. I guess we just need to keep finding those things that give us those happy moments and avoid the things that prevent us from having them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Supersaps
Spend more time with children. They will teach you complete and utter transfixed joy at the smallest of things.

Simplicity and trust are the root of happiness.

Children are great, I love how they can cry one moment, and then start laughing the next.
not often.
too much stress ie money, kids, worries in general etc
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Rarely. Idk why but im never happy these days. Happiness is a rare gift in my opinion that some people are blessed with.

Same for me its becoming impossible for me to be happy, but as a child, i used to be happy alla time, n now its just full with worries
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Children are great, I love how they can cry one moment, and then start laughing the next.

They really do live life to the full. It's much better than the state of apathetic numbness that most of us experience on a day to day basis.
Original post by Supersaps
They really do live life to the full. It's much better than the state of apathetic numbness that most of us experience on a day to day basis.

True! I really hate how apathetic people have become, I guess that's why I can be sort of childlike. :tongue:
Plus they're quite wise, I love asking them questions. :biggrin:
Reply 16
Woah never realised that it's rare for a lot of people to be happy most of the time :K: I'd say I'm happy/content 80% of the time- even though I have pretty much nothing going on for me :dontknow:
Reply 17
drinking alcohol sort of brings the "happy just because" feeling..
But in general I have moments of happiness. I mean it's not like my childhood was great; good family environment but I was even more of a depressive moody git then lol. So I don't have too much nostalgia; I suppose I miss the ability to be utterly joyous over things like certain video games or foods or whatever..
Original post by goam
Woah never realised that it's rare for a lot of people to be happy most of the time :K: I'd say I'm happy/content 80% of the time- even though I have pretty much nothing going on for me :dontknow:

Luck you
Original post by mediaya
Same for me its becoming impossible for me to be happy, but as a child, i used to be happy alla time, n now its just full with worries

You aysha are so relatable :h:

Quick Reply

Latest