The Student Room Group

Very strange job interview - am I going to get kidnapped? (serious question) HELP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arcenciel21
I understand that monthly pay is the norm for most jobs, but I have never had a job before which only paid you monthly so it's weird.

I've had jobs in the past which pay weekly and bi-monthly and honestly, being paid once a month is so much better, because it actually makes a noticeable difference to your account. That's what I think anyway.

Anyway, the actually cleaning jobs sounds decent doesn't it, although she does seem a bit unprofessional what with the changing of hours, and wages. But it could be a lot worse I suppose!
I would recommend you to not go, however, if you are encouraged too, or would like too, make sure you bring someone older than you, like dad or uncle, just in case. :smile:
It sound dodgy, i would not bother tbh.
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
I would recommend you to not go, however, if you are encouraged too, or would like too, make sure you bring someone older than you, like dad or uncle, just in case. :smile:

That's very good advice but a few other people including myself told her the same thing but she laughed at the first person who told her that and even though she is the one asking for the advice and was too scared to go but people twice her age have gone to false interviews luring them to strange places and something bad happened to them or they were never seen again
Original post by Judge Judy
That's very good advice but a few other people including myself told her the same thing but she laughed at the first person who told her that and even though she is the one asking for the advice and was too scared to go but people twice her age have gone to false interviews luring them to strange places and something bad happened to them or they were never seen again

That's very true, it nearly happened to my dad and he was 53 at the time. :redface: & Asking for advice would mean that any good advice is taken into account and acted upon but oh well. :smile:
Original post by Blackstarr
It sound dodgy, i would not bother tbh.

Well, she did bother and got the job.
Original post by Good bloke
Well, she did bother and got the job.

She's cleaning toilets. Hardly something to brag about.
Original post by Jimmy Seville

You can be snooty about the nature of the job all you like. It suits her to take it and that is all that matters.
So I didn't get kidnapped.

However she kind of ****ed me over, she texted me at 4:50 telling me she will only be here a 6!! So I literally sat down on a bench in the middle of the empty city centre and I almost fell asleep, I didn't sleep AT ALL last night because I knew I had to be up early so my mind couldn't switch off. She was obviously testing me yesterday when she said 5, to see if I am willing to wake up early for this job, but yesterday on the phone she said it's 7-9am. Well this morning she's telling me it's actualy 6-7:30 :colonhash: Oh and I am not getting paid as much as it said in the advert either....

So it's a 6 am start, 6 days a week, 1.5 hours every day.... and get this.... I ONLY GET PAID FOUR-WEEKLY. YES. SERIOUSLY.

The job is really easy though, it's in a very nice office and I just have to wipe the desks and clean windows and ****.

However I did not get a contract, even though I signed a contract, gave my bank details, the payroll form etc... so I do have a contract but she didn't give me a copy and I am starting tomorrow and she won't give it to me tomorrow because she won't be there, I will be all alone. So what is going on :colonhash:

Glad you survived. :five:
Reply 49
the chances of being sold off to a person who may well do some unknown evil upon you arehigh.
So I didn't get kidnapped.

However she kind of ****ed me over, she texted me at 4:50 telling me she will only be here a 6!! So I literally sat down on a bench in the middle of the empty city centre and I almost fell asleep, I didn't sleep AT ALL last night because I knew I had to be up early so my mind couldn't switch off. She was obviously testing me yesterday when she said 5, to see if I am willing to wake up early for this job, but yesterday on the phone she said it's 7-9am. Well this morning she's telling me it's actualy 6-7:30 :colonhash: Oh and I am not getting paid as much as it said in the advert either....

So it's a 6 am start, 6 days a week, 1.5 hours every day.... and get this.... I ONLY GET PAID FOUR-WEEKLY. YES. SERIOUSLY.

The job is really easy though, it's in a very nice office and I just have to wipe the desks and clean windows and ****.

However I did not get a contract, even though I signed a contract, gave my bank details, the payroll form etc... so I do have a contract but she didn't give me a copy and I am starting tomorrow and she won't give it to me tomorrow because she won't be there, I will be all alone. So what is going on :colonhash:

Most people get paid four weekly or monthly....
This is a complete joke, she just texted me to come in at 5 tomorrow instead of 6.

First she tells me on the phone the job is 7-9.
Then she makes me go in for 5am and then texts me at 4:30 to tell me she wont be coming until 6
Then when she gets there she tells me its actually 6:730 and to start tomorrow at 6
Andnow she is telling me to start at 5 tomorrow

What is wrong with people?
Im not gonna pay for a taxi again, I will tell her I am not going :colonhash:
Reply 52
I worked as a cleaner and it started at 6-7am depending on the day. Also some workers may come in earlier we had a lady who started at 3-4am and the rest of us came in later. So 5am is reasonable enough. Even if your shifts would be from 7am some may start from 6 and she would need to have enough time to show you around and sort out the documents before she starts.

When I started I went in the next morning at 6am and started then. The only difference is the company was owned by my teachers partner which is how I got it in the first place. So I knew it was genuine.

The hours also changed because of different things. If someone went on a holiday or the place needed to be used earlier we would just be asked to come in earlier and we would. You decided to work there so you have to deal with early hours
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Devify
I worked as a cleaner and it started at 6-7am depending on the day. Also some workers may come in earlier we had a lady who started at 3-4am and the rest of us came in later. So 5am is reasonable enough. Even if your shifts would be from 7am some may start from 6 and she would need to have enough time to show you around and sort out the documents before she starts.

When I started I went in the next morning at 6am and started then. The only difference is the company was owned by my teachers partner which is how I got it in the first place. So I knew it was genuine.

The hours also changed because of different things. If someone went on a holiday or the place needed to be used earlier we would just be asked to come in earlier and we would. You decided to work there so you have to deal with early hours

OK, I have already gone and she has shown me around and done the papaperwork , if you had read the thread you wouldn't have had to write all this, its 6:35PM and the interview was this morning
Original post by Devify
You decided to work there so you have to deal with early hours

I am pretty sure I only have to deal with hours I can do and what was specified before I decided to take the job since I am not anybody's slave. I cannot go in at 5, there is no bus. So I just texted her to tell her I am no longer taking the job.
Reply 55
I am pretty sure I only have to deal with hours I can do and what was specified before I decided to take the job since I am not anybody's slave. I cannot go in at 5, there is no bus. So I just texted her to tell her I am no longer taking the job.

When you take a job it is usually expected that some hours may change and you are supposed to adjust accordingly. Although yes, the lady shouldn't have told you different hours if it was going to change as soon as you started. But you also didn't really deal with it like an adult. If she asked you to come in at 5 you would either take the time or contact her saying that you cannot come in at that time and expected it to be from 7am as you have been told when applying. Not just quit the job before starting. This may have been just 1-2 day thing and not permanent.
She just texted me that I dont have to come in at 5, i can come at 6

..... what is wrong with people?
Original post by Devify
When you take a job it is usually expected that some hours may change and you are supposed to adjust accordingly. Although yes, the lady shouldn't have told you different hours if it was going to change as soon as you started. But you also didn't really deal with it like an adult. If she asked you to come in at 5 you would either take the time or contact her saying that you cannot come in at that time and expected it to be from 7am as you have been told when applying. Not just quit the job before starting. This may have been just 1-2 day thing and not permanent.

Your 'advice' is not needed. Thanks.
Original post by Jimmy Seville

Lol, that's so true and she's having a go at me for trying to help her get a better paid job although i probably went too far in ****ging the job off and probably offending other people who do cleaning jobs or apply for them but that wasn't really my intention

You start a thread then are extremely rude to other people just for trying to help you

Help me in what? I posted this thread to ask whether it's reasonable for a cleaning job interview to take place at 5 am in the morning, not to ask for career advice or what you think is a 'good job'.

I understand your pissed with me because i said it's a **** job and reminded you that you can't get any better which

I have already told you that this is not the case as I do have another job but you clearly have no reading skills which is pobably the reason why you spend your time trolling Internet forums with advertising your company and job that you only applied for because you got rejected from everywhere else and then you got pissed and started acting like a child and copy and pasting what I said to you. That's how I behaved when I was in kindergarten and wanted to be 'witty' with my parents. Sad to see that some people never grow up.

This is my last reply to you because I will put you on my ignore list seeing as you have completely derailed my thread with your irrelevant essays which have nothing to do with the OP at all, so you will have to find someone else to troll.

I have also reported you for being rude, unhelpful, spamming and being off topic
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending