The Student Room Group

Errdogan on the brink of bringing back capital punishment, opinions?

https://www.rt.com/news/353277-turkey-erdogan-death-penalty-eu/
So it seems somewhat more likely that this bat **** crazy cock waffle will be reintroducing the death penalty and potentially instigate a purge similar to Stalins with regards to the coup conspirators.
What are peoples opinions on this?
Personally im somewhat torn, on the one hand it would be a heinous and deplorable act if he did start openly bumping off countless 'enemies of the state' but on the other hand it willkeep Turkey out of the EU for eons, which given the Barbarism they are showing with respect to soldiers for a start would be a plus..

Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said his government would ensure that the Turkish people’s “call” to reinstate the death penalty in wake of the failed coup is heard despite the EU’s warning that it would bring accession talks to a halt. TrendsCoup attempt in TurkeyLIVE UPDATES: #TurkeyPurge: Post-coup crackdown
In a Monday interview with a German broadcaster ARD, Erdogan pledged to follow up on his promise to reintroduce capital punishment if such a request is submitted by the country’s parliament, saying the government could not ignore the will of the people.

“What do the [Turkish] people say today? They want the death penalty reintroduced. And we as the government must listen to what the people say. We can’t say ‘no, that doesn’t interest us,’” he stressed, while adding that he cannot reinstate the punishment by himself.
“I am not a king. I am only a country’s president. To be a stronger president does not mean to act in breach of constitution,” he noted, pointing out that capital punishment is not considered an abnormal practice anywhere in the world save Europe.
“Only in Europe is there no death penalty. Otherwise, it is almost everywhere,” he stressed.
Calls to reintroduce the death penalty, which was abolished by Turkey in 2004 in order to facilitate its acceptance as an EU member, have come amid a clampdown on the military and civil servants following a failed coup attempt. Over 13,000 people, largely soldiers, have been detained in the massive purges that have followed.
“Yes, it was the most critical point of my political life,” Erdogan said in referring to the coup attempt, labeling it “an attack on the people.”

More than 45,000 public servants have been suspended and over 21,000 teachers have been stripped of their licenses since the chaotic events of July 15, which saw at least 265 people killed. On Monday, 42 Turkish journalists were arrested on government orders.
The cleanse of Turkey’s military and civil ranks has prompted sharp criticism from the European Union, with EU Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker saying Turkey “in its current state, is not in a position to become a member any time soon and not even over a longer period.”
Moreover, Juncker said that if Turkey reinstated the death penalty, it would close the door to any possibility of the country joining the block.

The post-coup crackdown soured already deteriorating relations between the EU and Turkey, with Erdogan blaming Europe’s leaders for failing to deliver on the promises they made in the EU-Turkey refugee deal, which Europe sees as key to stemming the flow of illegal migrants to the continent.
Speaking to ARD, the Turkish president said “The European leaders are not sincere,” stressing that Turkey had received no more than $2 million in financial aid from the EU so far, while spending $12 million alone on some three million Syrian refugees.
“Three billion was promised,” Erdogan noted, before accusing the EU of inaction.
The comprehensive EU-Turkey refugee deal, which came in force on March 20, stipulated that Turkey would take in all illegal migrants entering Europe via its territory in exchange for speeding up EU accession and allowing Turkish citizens to travel to the EU without a visa. The visa-free pass was initially to be introduced by July, however, Turkey has failed to comply with all of the EU’s 72 criteria, including relaxing its stringent anti-terror legislation, which became a sticking point in the negotiations.
READ MORE: Former NATO commander ‘behind failed coup against Erdogan’ Turkish daily
Turkey’s president has blamed the conspiracy to overthrow his regime on US-based exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen, who vehemently denies any allegations of complicity. According to Erdogan, Gulen created an intricate “parallel network” of supporters, including military, judicial, and political officials, as well as media and education workers, to stage the coup. Turkey is now demanding Gulen’s extradition from the US, where he has been living since 1999 in the state of Pennsylvania.
However, Washington has insisted that hard evidence be provided before it will consider the request.

Scroll to see replies

Bye bye EU aspirations :smile: (although Merkel will probably still try to fudge it...)
Reply 2
Original post by ManiaMuse
Bye bye EU aspirations :smile: (although Merkel will probably still try to fudge it...)

Aye, although i'd be curious to see if they did follow through oweing to Turkey leaning towards Russia now and its important status in NATO.
Reply 3
As it stands right now Turkey has about as much chance of joining the EU as North Korea does. They really don't need to do any more to guarantee their position as a non-member, so overall I think it'd be better if they didn't torture and murder thousands of people for their alleged crimes. Ideally.
I think it's wrong of him to do that, and I think the people of Turkey should be ashamed of themselves for electing him. Not that any other countries are making good choices these days.
Reply 5
Original post by Dez
As it stands right now Turkey has about as much chance of joining the EU as North Korea does. They really don't need to do any more to guarantee their position as a non-member, so overall I think it'd be better if they didn't torture and murder thousands of people for their alleged crimes. Ideally.

Ideally yes, unfortunately Turkey is run by an aspiring dictator who seems to be set on acting like a little Hitler/Stalin. What's happening to those troops is horrific!
I'm off to live on the moon. You're all welcome to tag along.
Everyone should forgive those who commit treason, give them a pat on the back, maybe even flowers too.... whilst we are at it, let's give them control of parliament too, because they are the real victims here :rolleyes:

I disagree with torture but people are getting butthurt because of how he is dealing with Turkey post-coup; I would love to see everyone's response of humanity if there was an attempted coup in the UK which resulted in hundreds of deaths - the Sun and Daily Mail would be going wild with their petitions to have conspirators culled like badgers :rolleyes:
This is unbelievably wrong. Turkey should be warned over the future of its NATO membership and if Erdogan does not back down on the death penalty or the use of torture, it should be revoked and with it their protection from Putin.
The irony is he talks about defending democracy, but all he has done is show how much he doesnt understand it.

That said will wait and see when it is verified from a more reliable source than Russia Today.....
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
IMO, President Erdogan is the real Atatürk! May only wishes she had the support and love President Erdogan has.
Original post by Atlas Thugged
This is unbelievably wrong. Turkey should be warned over the future of its NATO membership and if Erdogan does not back down on the death penalty or the use of torture, it should be revoked and with it their protection from Putin.

Nato needs Turkey more than the other way round.. The US has the death penalty I believe?
Original post by 999tigger
Nato needs Turkey more than the other way round.. The US has the death penalty I believe?

NATO doesn't need Turkey, the only reason they're in it because they were useful during the Cold War and some Americans are still paranoid over the Russian bogeyman. The US has the death penalty, but thankfully it is looking likely to be phased out and it's certainly not used to kill off political dissidents. You can't compare America with Turkey, Erdogan's fascist thugs have been commiting male-one-male rapes, forcing prisoners to look at pictures of Erdogan and beating them each time they blink, it's sickening.

The West only needs to start backing one of the major Kurdish groups in the east and the intellectual middle class in the West and Erdogan is gone, but no, we have to support this fascist because Americans are terrified of Putin and Iran.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Zamestaneh
Everyone should forgive those who commit treason, give them a pat on the back, maybe even flowers too.... whilst we are at it, let's give them control of parliament too, because they are the real victims here :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Do you want me to start listing all the people who have commited treason for the greater good? If you support the Arab spring for instance, every single one who took part is a traitor. America was founded by traitors to the crown. the French republic, The USSR and subsequently the Russian Federtion, numerous former colonies. Wish me to continue?

Butthurt, what are you five? People are angry because the prisoners, half of whom almost certainly did nothing but werecaught in the blanket purge, and they are being raped, tortured, murdered. Things that simply do not happen in a civilised modern country.
Did you just compare Turkey to the UK? :lol: ridiculous comparisonas A] We have a well founded democracy B] The PM is not on the high wayto being a dictator C] We arent barbarians unlike that nasty little man.

Oh and food for thought if you have to rise up against the ruler for the good of the country is it still bad?
Reply 14
NATO doesn't need Turkey, the only reason they're in it because they were useful during the Cold War and some Americans are still paranoid over the Russian bogeyman. The US has the death penalty, but thankfully it is looking likely to be phased out and it's certainly not used to kill off political dissidents. You can't compare America with Turkey, Erdogan's fascist thugs have been commiting male-one-male rapes, forcing prisoners to look at pictures of Erdogan and beating them each time they blink, it's sickening.

The West only needs to start backing one of the major Kurdish groups in the east and the intellectual middle class in the West and Erdogan is gone, but no, we have to support this fascist because Americans are terrified of Putin and Iran.

In fairness Turkey is fairly important to NATO having the 2nd largest Army, access through the bosphorus and bases to strike at the middle east from or just to upset the Russians :rolleyes:
Otherwise totally agree with what you said; raping, sexual assault of the most heinous kind, beatings, torture, beheading, basically degrading them to the point they arent humanany more. It is uterly repellant! One hopes something unpleasant befalls that creature who leads them. I mean even his kid is a criminal from what i remember.
I hope he does.
Guessing the entire issue of Turkey joining the EU is null now, given that Turkey would not be allowed to join if it allowed capital punishment.
Idk why it was an issue in the first place tbh.
Meanwhile a Norwegian guy who killed 70 people gets 20 yrs..... or whatever it was.

Will just have to agree to disagree and am off out.

Its the only majority muslim member. regionally influential.

It occupies a key strategic point which provides an opportunity for NATO and the US to launch operations into the middle east if needed via Incirlik from both air and land. Cant do that from anywhere else, certainly not from a carrier.

Also key in easing the burden of refugees before they reach Europe.

Key to prevebting most Russian access to the med.

Erdogan wont be forever, but they will still need Turkey. Russia regards NATO as its biggest threat so hardly surpising that NATO treats Russia likewise, even if it isnt on the same level as the cold war.
Original post by Craig1998
Guessing the entire issue of Turkey joining the EU is null now, given that Turkey would not be allowed to join if it allowed capital punishment.
Idk why it was an issue in the first place tbh.

It wasnt a realistic prospect before just people liked to pretend it was.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending