The Student Room Group

Gcse grade and revision help

My predicted grades are Bs, with a 9 in English and 6 in Maths. I really want to get A*s and As so that I can consider going to UCL, KCL, LSE or Queen Marys when I'm in sixth form, where I'll be taking the IB. I think I might have got a C in Core Science as the second paper wasn't great for me but if so I'll retake it to get at least a B. How did you revise? When did you start? What did you get? Also, what are top London unis like with GCSEs, strict or lenient. Thanks :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I haven't done my GCSEs yet, but I find active practice the best method, extremely so for Maths. It's not all about learning the knowledge, you need to do past papers and practice material to refine your exam technique and how you approach questions. Predicted grades mean nothing if you know you can achieve more, so don't let them to define what you can achieve. If you feel you're behind in anything, now is the perfect time to catch up. For example, if you know you've fudged core science, maybe start consolidating notes for the reists in November (if there are resits in November now, which I'm pretty sure they are, but it's your last opportunity to take the old spec). If you're unsure about any topic, I would take this time to look over them, even if just to jog your memory. I'm sure there's many people on here that would happily help you along the way :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
I haven't done my GCSEs yet, but I find active practice the best method, extremely so for Maths. It's not all about learning the knowledge, you need to do past papers and practice material to refine your exam technique and how you approach questions. Predicted grades mean nothing if you know you can achieve more, so don't let them to define what you can achieve. If you feel you're behind in anything, now is the perfect time to catch up. For example, if you know you've fudged core science, maybe start consolidating notes for the reists in November (if there are resits in November now, which I'm pretty sure they are, but it's your last opportunity to take the old spec). If you're unsure about any topic, I would take this time to look over them, even if just to jog your memory. I'm sure there's many people on here that would happily help you along the way :smile:

Thank you so much! I'm definitely taking this on board :smile:
https://mathswebsite.com/

Use this website for your maths. It has past papers, lessons (mostly videos) and mark schemes. It also has subject focused past papers. The best part of this website is once you have done a past paper you can go through the mark scheme by video question by question and it talks you through how to answer it, as it is question by question you can skip the questions you've done well at.

If you want an answer to your revision strategy problem, go here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4225422&p=66594672#post66594672 as I spent 45 minutes writing a huge paragraph for someone else with similar problems.
WHAT? Are you really predicted a 9 in English? I am predicted a 6 and got a 7 on PILOTS (practice specimen paper). u must b super smart.
Reply 5
Wow 9 in English revision tips please and how do you answer essay question like PEE or other methods.I am predicted 8/9 in maths I can give you some maths tips.I am predicted A in core science and an A* in additional memorise the revision quide and do past papers if not atleast look at them so you are familiar with it and have a basic idea what will come up,how the questions will be.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
By the way GCSEs are not much taken into account but you should at least meet their minimum requirements.And if you are applying for medicine you would definitley need A/A* but more recently I am seeing GCSEs are not been taken in much account I saw imperial college website requirements for GCSEs(medicine).They have said there's no longer any requirements for this course.
(edited 7 years ago)
GCSE's are only required for A level mark ups (you can't do maths A level if you got a C in maths GCSE), College levels, or a job after you finish GCSE's e.g. an apprenticeship usually requires 5 A*'s-C. A levels are required to pick your university and help you stand out. The degree is what is looked at for a job.
Reply 8
Writing up notes should be done on the day of learning them. Then roughly a month before the exam I made revision cards, then 2 weeks before was entirely devoted to past papers and test questions, then writing up the corrections using a mark scheme over and over again until memorised. I also stuck up my notes in places I often see, such as the bathroom wall, my bedroom door, wadrobe..etc so I was constantly seeing the information. "Letts in a week" books were also good for last minute revision on things I wasn't sure on (found on eBay and Depop for cheaper). I used quite a lot of the learning resources (mainly mind maps and summary notes) from here (the student room) as well. For science I really liked Mr Thornton's YouTube videos. For Maths, mathswatchvle.com was really helpful (but this website costs money, unless your school pays for it, as well as GCSE pod). Good apps to use are Gojimo (free) and the CGP apps (cost money). There are also apps to make study plan time tables, but I usually just make them on Edexcel spreadsheets, or just use your calender. While revising you shouldn't really listen to music, but if needed it should be classical as lyrics and heavy beats distract the brain. And TURN OFF YOUR PHONE! Honestly it eliminates so many distractions. It's all about putting the hours in to get the results you want- you've got to work hard. I took my GCSEs this year and will get my results next month. As for Universities I'm not so sure, it depends on the course you want to take. For example, I know Oxbridge do look back to your GCSEs and require passes in english and maths, as well as A*AA for medicine. But most probably won't. Good luck to you! :smile:
Original post by Okay_Mate
WHAT? Are you really predicted a 9 in English? I am predicted a 6 and got a 7 on PILOTS (practice specimen paper). u must b super smart.

Yeah, I'm actually predicted a 9 in English, it's the only subject I work really hard at and genuinely enjoy. I just love everything about the subject. I'm only smart at English to be honest haha.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm just a person who thinks down on themselves after exams, my predicted grade for Core is an A anyway, but I don't think I did well on the second paper. Obviously I know, no uni accepts just GCSEs as I'm going to take the IB in Year 12. But I wanted to know, what are the top Unis like with GCSEs, are they quite strict or lenient.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fnt1klo
By the way GCSEs are not much taken into account but you should at least meet their minimum requirements.And if you are applying for medicine you would definitley need A/A* but more recently I am seeing GCSEs are not been taken in much account I saw imperial college website requirements for GCSEs(medicine).They have said there's no longer any requirements for this course.

Oh okay, that's good then as I was quite worried as I would love to go to King's and if they're becoming more lenient then it must be alright for me then
Original post by Fnt1klo
Wow 9 in English revision tips please and how do you answer essay question like PEE or other methods.I am predicted 8/9 in maths I can give you some maths tips.I am predicted A in core science and an A* in additional memorise the revision quide and do past papers if not atleast look at them so you are familiar with it and have a basic idea what will come up,how the questions will be.

I'll inbox you at some point this week, as I'll have to write down what I normally do, and I would love some tips for Maths :smile: Thank you
Original post by ExoIceCream99
https://mathswebsite.com/

Use this website for your maths. It has past papers, lessons (mostly videos) and mark schemes. It also has subject focused past papers. The best part of this website is once you have done a past paper you can go through the mark scheme by video question by question and it talks you through how to answer it, as it is question by question you can skip the questions you've done well at.

If you want an answer to your revision strategy problem, go here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4225422&p=66594672#post66594672 as I spent 45 minutes writing a huge paragraph for someone else with similar problems.

Thank you soooo much! :smile:
Original post by ceilele
Writing up notes should be done on the day of learning them. Then roughly a month before the exam I made revision cards, then 2 weeks before was entirely devoted to past papers and test questions, then writing up the corrections using a mark scheme over and over again until memorised. I also stuck up my notes in places I often see, such as the bathroom wall, my bedroom door, wadrobe..etc so I was constantly seeing the information. "Letts in a week" books were also good for last minute revision on things I wasn't sure on (found on eBay and Depop for cheaper). I used quite a lot of the learning resources (mainly mind maps and summary notes) from here (the student room) as well. For science I really liked Mr Thornton's YouTube videos. For Maths, mathswatchvle.com was really helpful (but this website costs money, unless your school pays for it, as well as GCSE pod). Good apps to use are Gojimo (free) and the CGP apps (cost money). There are also apps to make study plan time tables, but I usually just make them on Edexcel spreadsheets, or just use your calender. While revising you shouldn't really listen to music, but if needed it should be classical as lyrics and heavy beats distract the brain. And TURN OFF YOUR PHONE! Honestly it eliminates so many distractions. It's all about putting the hours in to get the results you want- you've got to work hard. I took my GCSEs this year and will get my results next month. As for Universities I'm not so sure, it depends on the course you want to take. For example, I know Oxbridge do look back to your GCSEs and require passes in english and maths, as well as A*AA for medicine. But most probably won't. Good luck to you! :smile:

Thank you sooo much, this was really really useful!!!
Reply 15
Original post by CPS23
My predicted grades are Bs, with a 9 in English and 6 in Maths. I really want to get A*s and As so that I can consider going to UCL, KCL, LSE or Queen Marys when I'm in sixth form. I think I might have got a C in Core Science but if so I'll retake it to get at least a B. How did you revise? When did you start? What did you get? Also, what are top London unis like with GCSEs, strict or lenient. Thanks :smile:

Hi CPS23
@ceilele answer is pretty much perfect. As an added point, if you are struggling with motivation then you could create a GCSE Journey/Grow your Grades Thread here on TSR! It really is a great way to motivate yourself to work harder.
Original post by CPS23
My predicted grades are Bs, with a 9 in English and 6 in Maths. I really want to get A*s and As so that I can consider going to UCL, KCL, LSE or Queen Marys when I'm in sixth form. I think I might have got a C in Core Science but if so I'll retake it to get at least a B. How did you revise? When did you start? What did you get? Also, what are top London unis like with GCSEs, strict or lenient. Thanks :smile:

In terms of revision tips, I would stay to start now. Even if you're just making notes, you will thank yourself later. Then just keep going over content to learn. If you can face doing past papers or questions, then do that to get used to exam style.

I revised mainly using mindmaps, flashcards and notes. Lots of people say that using notes doesn't work but I found that if I used them like flashcards (ie. covered paragraphs up and forced myself to recall what I'd just read, they were useful).

I started at the beginning of year 10 if you count making notes before end of topic tests... But I only really started in January. I wasn't particularly dedicated to revising but I did a little by little and eventually got there.

I'll find out what I got in August so I'll have to see if it worked. I'm predicted all A*s and one A which is killing me... :smile: Anyway, I'm trying to forget about results at the moment...

Don't worry too much about unis at the moment, just focus on getting the best you can. :smile: No one really knows how unis are going to change with the new two year A-levels and 9-1 scheme at GCSE. Or at least, if they do, no one's told me...
Original post by umar39
Hi CPS23
@ceilele answer is pretty much perfect. As an added point, if you are struggling with motivation then you could create a GCSE Journey/Grow your Grades Thread here on TSR! It really is a great way to motivate yourself to work harder.

Ooo I think I might, thanks for the idea :smile:
Original post by Ara8311a
In terms of revision tips, I would stay to start now. Even if you're just making notes, you will thank yourself later. Then just keep going over content to learn. If you can face doing past papers or questions, then do that to get used to exam style.

I revised mainly using mindmaps, flashcards and notes. Lots of people say that using notes doesn't work but I found that if I used them like flashcards (ie. covered paragraphs up and forced myself to recall what I'd just read, they were useful).

I started at the beginning of year 10 if you count making notes before end of topic tests... But I only really started in January. I wasn't particularly dedicated to revising but I did a little by little and eventually got there.

I'll find out what I got in August so I'll have to see if it worked. I'm predicted all A*s and one A which is killing me... :smile: Anyway, I'm trying to forget about results at the moment...

Don't worry too much about unis at the moment, just focus on getting the best you can. :smile: No one really knows how unis are going to change with the new two year A-levels and 9-1 scheme at GCSE. Or at least, if they do, no one's told me...

Thank you!!!! As for unis well, King's College made a statement:

In summer 2017, students' GCSE English and GCSE Maths exam results will be graded from 9 - 1 instead of from A* - G. From summer 2019, all GCSE subjects will be graded this way. King's has agreed the following grade equivalencies: GCSE (A*- G) GCSE (9 to 1) A* 8 and above A 7 B 6 C 5
Original post by CPS23
Thank you!!!! As for unis well, King's College made a statement:

In summer 2017, students' GCSE English and GCSE Maths exam results will be graded from 9 - 1 instead of from A* - G. From summer 2019, all GCSE subjects will be graded this way. King's has agreed the following grade equivalencies: GCSE (A*- G) GCSE (9 to 1) A* 8 and above A 7 B 6 C 5

Thanks. I'm not affected by the new GCSE grades but I am by the A level changes. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest