The Student Room Group

Tips for my job interview tomorrow?!

Hey guys. I've got a job interview tomorrow and I NEED to get this job because I handed my notice in my previous job! The job is at a call centre where you contact existing customers on behalf of companies such as Halifax and ask about their visit etc. It's with a company called Network Research. It's £7.20 an hour which is good for my age and you choose your own hours! I passed the telephone interview and the email for the face to face interview says its competency based questions plus a test call where the interviewer pretends to be a client and you have to follow instructions. Can anybody give me some tips for this? Desperately need it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Check the company on glassdoor if you haven't yet. Other people who went through the interview will most likely have something more specific written there about what kind of questions were asked and such.

Other than that, just keep calm and confident. Make sure you know something about the company and can think of something to ask.
Hi Rhia9,

I'm a careers adviser at a University - we see students coming in for interviews all the time! Here's some competency based questions you could be asked:
- Give an example of when you worked as a member of a team. What was your role in the team? What activity were you working on, and what was the outcome?
- Can you think of an occasion when you have had to persuade someone to do something which they were reluctant to do?
- Tell us about a time when you had a tight deadline and had to work under pressure to meet that deadline. How did you manage it?
- This job requires excellent verbal communication. Can you provide an example of when you have used your verbal communication skills effectively?
- Give us an example of an occasion when you had to motivate someone else?
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a particularly challenging situation.

Use the 'CAR' technique to answer competency style questions:
Context - set the scene / describe the situation and possibly what you had to do.
Action - what you did. If you're asked about team work, describe what your role was specifically, not just what the team did as a whole.
Result - what the outcome was. Was it positive or negative? It might be appropriate to reflect on the task and describe what you would do differently or change for next time.

I also echo what Devify says above - research the company, think of a question to ask them at the end of the interview (avoid questions about pay / holidays etc. - you want to sound interested in the company, not the perks) and be confident.

Good luck!!
Reply 3
Original post by Uni_adviser
Hi Rhia9,

I'm a careers adviser at a University - we see students coming in for interviews all the time! Here's some competency based questions you could be asked:
- Give an example of when you worked as a member of a team. What was your role in the team? What activity were you working on, and what was the outcome?
- Can you think of an occasion when you have had to persuade someone to do something which they were reluctant to do?
- Tell us about a time when you had a tight deadline and had to work under pressure to meet that deadline. How did you manage it?
- This job requires excellent verbal communication. Can you provide an example of when you have used your verbal communication skills effectively?
- Give us an example of an occasion when you had to motivate someone else?
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a particularly challenging situation.

Use the 'CAR' technique to answer competency style questions:
Context - set the scene / describe the situation and possibly what you had to do.
Action - what you did. If you're asked about team work, describe what your role was specifically, not just what the team did as a whole.
Result - what the outcome was. Was it positive or negative? It might be appropriate to reflect on the task and describe what you would do differently or change for next time.

I also echo what Devify says above - research the company, think of a question to ask them at the end of the interview (avoid questions about pay / holidays etc. - you want to sound interested in the company, not the perks) and be confident.

Good luck!!

Thank you very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending