The Student Room Group

What are my 'special needs' as a social anxiety + depression sufferer? (for UCAS)

I'm filling out my UCAS personal details and have come to the disability section, in which it asks which category of disability I fall into, mental illness, and then what my special needs are as a result.

I'm not 100% sure what to put as I'm not sure what the university would be able to provide. Do I qualify for extra time, for example? Because I personally feel like I need it, as in the exam hall (and other stressful situations) I'm very distracted by low or anxious thoughts.

I don't know what else they could provide, help?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm filling out my UCAS personal details and have come to the disability section, in which it asks which category of disability I fall into, mental illness, and then what my special needs are as a result.

I'm not 100% sure what to put as I'm not sure what the university would be able to provide. Do I qualify for extra time, for example? Because I personally feel like I need it, as in the exam hall (and other stressful situations) I'm very distracted by low or anxious thoughts.

I'd say it depends on your university? It sadly seems to vary alot from institution to institution.

With my university they put things in place such extended deadlines (if I needed them), being able to record lectures (which isn't something we're normally allowed to do), extended library loans and rest-breaks for any examinations I sit :smile:
There are all kinds of arrangements that can be made. You may be able to have your exams in a small (or individual) room so that they are not as stressful for example. The uni could let your tutors know about your disability so that you can get extra support for things like presentations that might be stressful for you. You might also be able to get some mentoring support to help with that too. Contact Disability Services or Student Support at the university and they will be able to explain what kind of things can be put in place.
You may also get rest breaks in your exams.
Reply 4

If you're only filling in your UCAS form you don't need to give too much detail, as the uni will contact you later for clarification.

You may be eligible for Disabled Students Allowance. DSA will provide you with things to help with study needs. You don't get money, and you don't get things you would still need if you weren't studying (eg food, prescriptions, clothes). You would need to apply for this when applying for student finance.

How are you with groups of people? Do you think being in a lecture/tutorial would make you more anxious? If so, you may be able to get a dictaphone through DSA so you can record lectures if you can't concentrate, or someone to write lecture notes for you.
You might get photocopying paid for so that you don't need to take books out of the library, if you think deadlines for returning would make your anxiety worse.
You might get someone to help with study skills, to help you prioritise deadlines and stop worrying.

Since mental health conditions vary a lot, you need to think about your triggers. Do you find people, or health concerns, or the thought of being late makes your anxiety worse? It's no good putting things in place to deal with large crowds, if actually you find small groups more intimidating.

As some users have mentioned, the way each uni deals with their disabled students varies based on their size and Disability Support Team. Also, there are several types of anxiety, as you probably know, and each demands a different approach and resolution. It would be best to speak to these unis once you get your offers, and choose based on the services they could offer you.

The unis could provide you help, counselling (I don't know about the costs, though), extra time, breaks between exams and maybe a conducive environment for learning/exams.

Damn you! Why are you anonymous? Argghh!!!! I just found a uni rep who's discussing mental illness, and I thought I'd tag you there to help you find others with similar queries and possibly the answer to them as well... One sec, I'll tag them here then: @Kingston University

This is the thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4093979

And, this is the website they mentioned: http://www.kingston.ac.uk/disability/

EDIT: I didn't mean to be rude, I apologise. Was just disappointed... :biggrin: Hope this helps :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)

Hiya :smile:
This is the telephone number for Kingston Universities mental health support if you are considering applying to us :smile: They will be able to help you out.
Emily
Student ambassador

Original post by raniafern
Damn you! Why are you anonymous? Argghh!!!! I just found a uni rep who's discussing mental illness, and I thought I'd tag you there to help you find others with similar queries and possibly the answer to them as well... One sec, I'll tag them here then: @Kingston University

This is the thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4093979

And, this is the website they mentioned: http://www.kingston.ac.uk/disability/

EDIT: I didn't mean to be rude, I apologise. Was just disappointed... :biggrin: Hope this helps :colondollar:

Hey :smile:
Thanks for the mention @raniafern
Emily
Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest