The Student Room Group

Two men kidnap priest, take hostages in church near the French Rouen

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
A few issues here The Quran authorises the mutilation of enemies (5:33) and Muhammad authorised the mutilation of people (camel thieves)

Mutilation as capital punishment vs mutilation on the battlefield. Different things. Moreover Muhammad was scolded by Allah for being excessive in the case of the camel thieves.

So it is ok to steal from non-Muslims during war (that's where "war booty" comes from) but it is forbidden to take it from Muhammad. Convenient!

The war booty is for the state.

Yet when Muhammad was asked about the problem of killing women and children during night raids on the pagans, he permitted it saying "they are from them".

Source? Context?

Apart from the mad old woman of the Banu Qurayza that Muhammad had executed.

Which one?

Apart from when Muhammad burned the date palms of the Banu Nadir as psychological warfare.

Again, source?
Original post by TercioOfParma
WHATS THE COMMON THING? Maybe it is because they are not committed, religious people.

With FGM, it is in the public discourse in Saudi Arabia, so then how would it be unIslamic?

Exactly; if they were religious they wouldn't be doing all those things.

Who said Saudi Arabia is a model for an Islamic State?

Again, show me some scriptural justifications for those issues.
Original post by blah3210
Exactly; if they were religious they wouldn't be doing all those things.

Who said Saudi Arabia is a model for an Islamic State?

Again, show me some scriptural justifications for those issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_on_female_genital_mutilation#Sunni_view

Why would these sects consider it "obligatory". Also, Saudi arabia is very close, so is Iran.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_on_female_genital_mutilation#Sunni_view

Why would these sects consider it "obligatory". Also, Saudi arabia is very close, so is Iran.

Clitoral hood reduction is recommended/obligatory.

So what?

So what?

So then why do they believe that if it isn't anything to do with islam? Surely they must ground their belief in the theology and/or history surrounding Islam.

So what?

Do you not find chopping parts off a young child barbaric?
I said the objectionable forms of FGM are not condoned in Islam; what's wrong with
hoodectomy?

Because you're ****ing around with somebody's junk. Is it that hard to understand?
Original post by 1010marina
Do you not find chopping parts off a young child barbaric?

Is that something you disagree with personally or is it anti-West? I recall people chopping bits of their children being quite prevalent in USA.
Because you're ****ing around with somebody's junk. Is it that hard to understand?

It's allowed in the West. Wasn't that your main contention with this practise?

it's not harmful, get over it.
I said the objectionable forms of FGM are not condoned in Islam; what's wrong with
hoodectomy?

Why is this thread now about FGM?
It's allowed in the West. Wasn't that your main contention with this practise?

it's not harmful, get over it.

It is, it literally damages the nerve sensitivity in the area.

It is allowed in the west because we have freedom, it isn't obligatory.
It is, it literally damages the nerve sensitivity in the area.

It is allowed in the west because we have freedom, it isn't obligatory.

No it doesn't.

Ah, so it's fine then. We can be friends again :smile:
Original post by ManiaMuse
Why is this thread now about FGM?

IDK, they brought it up?
Is that something you disagree with personally or is it anti-West? I recall people chopping bits of their children being quite prevalent in USA.

I personally disagree. In response to your other post saying that it is not dangerous, unlike male circumcision (which can be performed in adulthood to avoid infections in people who are prone), a woman's vulva can regulate itself quite well and chopping bits off invariably males things worse.

It is usually performed by substandard doctors. Often without anaesthetic. It leads to a HUGE increase in infections and also makes the mother MUCH more likely to die during childbirth.

Although I disagree with male circumcision I do understand that it usually has little to no effect on the quality of life of the victim. FGM is another kettle of fish entirely. It IS abuse.
No it doesn't.

Ah, so it's fine then. We can be friends again :smile:

Yes it does

http://www.dofeve.org/types-of-fgm.html

It is ****ing disgusting, but the fact we allow people to have the choice makes the west the greatest culture on earth.
Original post by jake4198

How about a sweepstake on the motive?
Original post by 1010marina
I personally disagree. In response to your other post saying that it is not dangerous, unlike male circumcision (which can be performed in adulthood to avoid infections in people who are prone), a woman's vulva can regulate itself quite well and chopping bits off invariably males things worse.

If that were the case, it'd be banned here but it isn't so :h:

It is usually performed by substandard doctors. Often without anaesthetic. It leads to a HUGE increase in infections and also makes the mother MUCH more likely to die during childbirth

Same applies for male circumcision.

Although I disagree with male circumcision I do understand that it usually has little to no effect on the quality of life of the victim. FGM is another kettle of fish entirely. It IS abuse.

We're talking about hood reduction, not cutting the clitoris
Yes it does

http://www.dofeve.org/types-of-fgm.html

It is ****ing disgusting, but the fact we allow people to have the choice makes the west the greatest culture on earth.

i don't see hood reduction of the list :h:
i don't see hood reduction of the list :h:

"what is type 4"
"what is type 4"

It's actual type 1, without the removal of the clitoris, that's allowed in Islam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending