Should guys pay for girls on dates?

This poll is closed

Should men pay for women on dates?

Yes, any man who doesn't pay for a girl is not worth dating 8%
He should at least offer 36%
Only on the first few dates 11%
No, men and women are equal and it should be divided equally44%
Total votes: 135
So I was having this debate with a friend of mine. I'm a bit undecided, but he thinks that guys should always pay for girls on the first date.

I'm going to attach a poll to this thread to get your opinions and settle the argument!

Be as honest as possible!!

- Dragonfly07

Scroll to see replies

definitely not. If men women are supposedly equal we shouldn't pay. also it makes the girl feel like she owes the guy something and some girls just want a free meal
Minefield.

Modern society has turned simple things into ****ing minefields.

If you don't pay, you're ungracious and selfish. If you do pay, you're a chauvinistic pig. (If its a first date, you'll have no idea which view your date holds, so it's inevitable you'll step on the AP mine and get blown to smithereens.)

Basically, it's a ****ing minefield and you know the best thing to do with minefields? Mark & avoid.

Better to just eat popcorn, netflix and chill.

SS
(edited 7 years ago)
Hell no, we all should carry our own weight and pay for ourselves. Equality works both ways
Not really tbh, I'd prefer to go 50/50 tbh, I don't like it when some girls feel entitled, kinda makes me feel like what's the point in this tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M1mathsstudent
definitely not. If men women are supposedly equal we shouldn't pay. also it makes the girl feel like she owes the guy something and some girls just want a free meal

Agreed, I think it's better to either split the cost or just pay for yourself:yep:
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm inclined to say yes, because that's my natural instinct. But since feminism is on the offensive everywhere, why would I waste my money on someone who may well be a hypocrite?

So on the first date, definitely not. Once married etc, yes.
If a guy is obliged to pay, then a woman is obliged to put out.

This video sums up my feelings on the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71o3hq6iSPM
I think there's nothing wrong with sticking to tradition on the first couple dates, but after that I would go Dutch
I always pay on the first date despite being an ardent foe of modern day 'feminism' AND a great believer in equality between the sexes.

I think it just makes a girl view you so much better that the little price you pay is worth it if you seriously want this girl to like you.

However I'll have a 'talk', in person, at some point about this and usually I'll persuade the girl to pay fully for the next few dates. Nobody has ever declined to do so and if they did they'd lose mad respect from me, which at that point might even be enough to break up with them.

I don't need an entitled child who views themselves as a victim of the world and does very little to make their lives better other than sponging off everyone else in my life.
Original post by upperechelon
I think there's nothing wrong with sticking to tradition on the first couple dates, but after that I would go Dutch

Well you wouldn't would you? Since you're the one that tradition benefits. Would think there's something wrong with it though if it was the other way around? I can guarantee a lot of women would...
I would offer, but I wouldn't feel it was a necessity.
Tbh if I went on a date I wouldn't assume that he would pay for me but if the guy is feeling generous then he can.
But other than that people should either pay for their own stuff or split the bill in half. It's only fair that way. It's what my friends and I do.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Well you wouldn't would you? Since you're the one that tradition benefits. Would think there's something wrong with it though if it was the other way around? I can guarantee a lot of women would...

Honestly it's not that big of a deal. If he doesn't offer, I don't mind, I'll pay my half. If he does, I'm not going to get all crazy feminist on him.
Reply 14
Original post by Dragonfly07
So I was having this debate with a friend of mine. I'm a bit undecided, but he thinks that guys should always pay for girls on the first date.

I'm going to attach a poll to this thread to get your opinions and settle the argument!

Be as honest as possible!!

- Dragonfly07

The one who asked for the date should pay.
Original post by upperechelon
Honestly it's not that big of a deal. If he doesn't offer, I don't mind, I'll pay my half. If he does, I'm not going to get all crazy feminist on him.

Really though it's a lose-lose situation for men. Which is why despite my pretty staunch disgust at the sheer hypocrisy of a lot of women to apathetically shrug their shoulders at the expectation of men to pay for the women, I still will.

The problem is that the vast majority of women will view a man that pays for them very positively in comparison to a man that goes 50/50 EVEN THOUGH the man that goes 50/50 is being a better 'feminist' in that he is treating women more equally than the man that perhaps chauvinistically, or selfishly, chooses to pay 100% (selfishly in my case; but women never suspect that)

Unless the women is very adamant about both sexes being fair to one another (in which case she would offer to pay half anyway and there is no issue) the male who doesn't pay 100% loses out relative to those who do. But of course, paying 100% means you pay more than the guy who pays 50%, so, it's a lose-lose scenario.

But np, patriarchy rules.
Ha I have to get a date first
If I initiated a proposal for a first date and chose the venue, I pay. For any other dates afterwards, split the bill.
Reply 18
Splitting 50/50 is just faffing around. Seems simpler to just alternate who pays with each date.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Really though it's a lose-lose situation for men. Which is why despite my pretty staunch disgust at the sheer hypocrisy of a lot of women to apathetically shrug their shoulders at the expectation of men to pay for the women, I still will.

The problem is that the vast majority of women will view a man that pays for them very positively in comparison to a man that goes 50/50 EVEN THOUGH the man that goes 50/50 is being a better 'feminist' in that he is treating women more equally than the man that perhaps chauvinistically, or selfishly, chooses to pay 100% (selfishly in my case; but women never suspect that)

Unless the women is very adamant about both sexes being fair to one another (in which case she would offer to pay half anyway and there is no issue) the male who doesn't pay 100% loses out relative to those who do. But of course, paying 100% means you pay more than the guy who pays 50%, so, it's a lose-lose scenario.

But np, patriarchy rules.

i do offer to split the bill on dates. However several times I have been assured by my date that do not need to pay. What would I do in that situation then? Am I still a hypocrite?

Quick Reply

Latest