The Student Room Group

Inspiring results day stories

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PugDevil
That was a great read :h: Well done for proving them wrong - goes to show they don't know everything :colone:

On a bit of a side note - I didn't really like Art and I spent years telling my teacher that I was looking forward to dropping it when the time came. Then the school told me that I couldn't drop it because it would clash with my schedule :colonhash:

Of course, the teacher had a good laugh at me for quite a while, but somehow I managed to come out with a C, despite my hatred toward it, as well my teacher thinking I was going to get a D for it! :u:

No, they really don't. Only you know your true capability.

Art is probably one of the most useless subjects to ever have to study at GCSE; I hated it too. In retrospect I should probably have taken Music, not only did I find classical music more interesting but music lends itself to maths and the sciences more easily apparently.

Congratulations for besting your teachers expectations too!

Sixth form teachers aren't any better at predicting your achievement potential either imho, I was predicted B's across the board but then I got an A* on one of my A2 units
Reply 41
I was no good at music or drama :colondollar: Drama I just mucked around the entire time, whilst in music I would play around on the keyboards :lol:

Yeah I agree with teachers not being that great at predicting your grades, but I don't feel like they get enough time with you personally to be able to do that sufficiently. Plus at the end of the day, it is a prediction - they're there to be proven wrong :tongue:
Reply 42
Original post by PugDevil
Yeah I agree with teachers not being that great at predicting your grades, but I don't feel like they get enough time with you personally to be able to do that sufficiently. Plus at the end of the day, it is a prediction - they're there to be proven wrong :tongue:

With all these tales I sometimes feel like the only person in the world who predicted grades worked for..
Perfectly correct across the board at GCSE and one out (predicted A in English Lit, attained A*) at A level. :s-smilie:
Basically, I opened my results envelope and i saw a grade D, so I started hallucinating like how & where did I mess up; then i realise that it was a btec that I got forced to take since I dropped German , so the D was a distinction in BTEC business.

Long story short, the rest of the grades were 2 A*s and 8 As :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Lemauricien
Basically, I opened my results envelope and i saw a grade D, so I started hallucinating like how where I did mess up; then i realise that it was a btec that I got forced to take since I dropped German , so the D was a distinction in BTEC business.

Long story short, the rest of the grades were 2 A*s and 8 As :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you do for a levels?
Original post by Rajive
What do you do for a levels?

Biology, chemistry, french.

I dropped Economics after doing my AS this year, the new specification is terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
I was recently released from hospital after spending two weeks in hospital. I was ill for two months, which coincided with four end of year exam I had to sit. I literally couldn't function and completed a mitigating circumstances form in case I failed and required a resit. Despite this I revised as best I could and sat all four exams. I received three first class marks and one 68. The point is that you should have faith in your ability, and try your best, and sometimes despite the odds being stacked against you, you will surprise yourself. Best of Luck :smile:
don't get me started on predicted grades ; spent ages trying to persuade one of my teachers to predict me an A cause i got a B for AS but knew I could do a lot better but nope they wouldn't do it so praying I do get that grade this year to prove their low prediction wrong ; will be rather smug... on the other hand my maths teacher predicted me an A* and that aint happening so awkward when i see them come results day.... i might just grab my envelope and run out ahaha
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
With all these tales I sometimes feel like the only person in the world who predicted grades worked for..
Perfectly correct across the board at GCSE and one out (predicted A in English Lit, attained A*) at A level. :s-smilie:

ah wow I'm guessing your teachers realised your potential whereas teachers at my school seem to be scared of predicting people A's cause they think people will get rejected as if someone would blame them for not getting into uni like fgs !
Reply 49
Original post by fefssdf
ah wow I'm guessing your teachers realised your potential whereas teachers at my school seem to be scared of predicting people A's cause they think people will get rejected as if someone would blame them for not getting into uni like fgs !

Yeah I guess so. I would have liked some lower expectations on me at times though. :redface:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yeah I guess so. I would have liked some lower expectations on me at times though. :redface:

hmmm maybe but then i think if you have your teachers believing you can do well then you're more likely to believe it yourself :smile:
My GCSE Physics teacher wanted to enter me for the glorious foundation paper. Somehow he ended up not doing it without me really doing much other than going "no thanks m8". In the end I revised for like an hour a day for about 3 days for it, then crammed like a mofo on the day of the exam, as per my standard GCSE routine.

Got an A. It appears the greatest motivation for me is somebody telling me I'm gonna be terrible
Original post by Retired_Messiah
My GCSE Physics teacher wanted to enter me for the glorious foundation paper. Somehow he ended up not doing it without me really doing much other than going "no thanks m8". In the end I revised for like an hour a day for about 3 days for it, then crammed like a mofo on the day of the exam, as per my standard GCSE routine.

Got an A. It appears the greatest motivation for me is somebody telling me I'm gonna be terrible

Back in year 11 one of my mates from my science class went into a chemistry exam thinking he was doing the higher paper and turned out he'd been entered in for foundation without the teacher telling him ... He was obviously quite surpised at this but the teacher basically said something on the lines of I entered you for that paper so it would be easier to get a B overall .... He's glad he didn't complain cause if I were in his situation I would've deffo made a fuss !
Reply 53
AS Edexcel History a year ago I received my grade and was not happy with it. I knew I did better so I requested a remark. Went up by 20 UMS.
I'd taken Chemistry at A-Level, failed the first exam and only got a D in the resit. Even though my other two A-Level results weren't bad grades I was told by my teachers It was very unlikely I'd get into any university with only 2 A-Levels and my Chemistry teacher told me there was no point in me continuing any more chemistry studies.

Luckily I got into my first choice uni, but had to take a prescribed Chemistry module and was determined to pass this one. Got my results to find I'd got a First for the module, in fact, it was one of my highest marks for the year!

Good Luck to everyone getting their results! Even if they aren't as you had hoped for, don't worry. Things can still turn out alright in the end!
Original post by kirsty953
I'd taken Chemistry at A-Level, failed the first exam and only got a D in the resit. Even though my other two A-Level results weren't bad grades I was told by my teachers It was very unlikely I'd get into any university with only 2 A-Levels and my Chemistry teacher told me there was no point in me continuing any more chemistry studies.

Luckily I got into my first choice uni, but had to take a prescribed Chemistry module and was determined to pass this one. Got my results to find I'd got a First for the module, in fact, it was one of my highest marks for the year!

Good Luck to everyone getting their results! Even if they aren't as you had hoped for, don't worry. Things can still turn out alright in the end!

Ah well done for not giving up ; what uni are you at now and what are you studying ?
Original post by pecora
AS Edexcel History a year ago I received my grade and was not happy with it. I knew I did better so I requested a remark. Went up by 20 UMS.

This is why I'm so uncertain about my English Lang grade cause I know how subjective marking can be for these sorts of subjects ; it's quite terrifying really :/ argh
Original post by fefssdf
Ah well done for not giving up ; what uni are you at now and what are you studying ?

University of Derby, studying Joint Honours Biology and Psychology.

Ah good for you :smile: employers should like that you've done two subjects and it'll leave you with more options also . What are you hoping to do post graduating ?
Reply 59

What were your other subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest