The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It probably is legal but why would anyone want to do this? It's just stupid
Burn as many as you want. burn as many bibles Qurans what ever you want burn it.

Burn 100 burn 1000s and the only bad thing you will be doing is creating a fire hazard.

It is perfectly legal and morally it is no different from burning a fictional book
Reply 3
You would be expressing hatred by burning a group's religious book. Burning the Qu'ran (or the American Flag) persay is not illegal but the burning of anything intentionally is a criminal offense.
You might get in some trouble if you were burning it to deliberately provoke people. However, apart from that, I'd say go ahead and burn away. It's definitely a book that deserves to be burned as far as I'm concerned.
Reply 5
Probably counts as inciting religious hatred yeah.
edit: Well, that is if you publicise it...
Under the current climate, it wouldn't be wise to burn a Quran for your own safety
It depends what the intention is.
If it's to stir up religious hatred, then ofc it is.

It's ok if in a private dwelling and only seen by people in that dwelling.
Reply 8
Original post by cashcash871
Or is it freedom of speech? Surely it could be interpreted as inciting religious hatred...

(Sorry guys for the click bait- I wanted to call this "what is the boundary between freedom of expression and religious hatred" but that wouldn't get any views...)

I certainly hope it's legal. As long as it's your Quran, you should be allowed to burn it. Same with flags. Same with revision notes. You get the picture, I'm sure.
They could definitely do you for something. Racially aggravated public orider offence?*

It shouldn't be illegal though. If it is your book *
Original post by AperfectBalance
Burn as many as you want. burn as many bibles Qurans what ever you want burn it.

Burn 100 burn 1000s and the only bad thing you will be doing is creating a fire hazard.

It is perfectly legal and morally it is no different from burning a fictional book

Complete nonsense. You might wnat to go and read the law. The thing that matters is intention and whether it is in public or private. Thats the line between legality.
Original post by 999tigger
Complete nonsense. You might wnat to go and read the law. The thing that matters is intention and whether it is in public or private. Thats the line between legality.

The circumstance would depend but it would not be a good idea in public as some people have been arrested but If you want to burn it go ahead
I believe that fire is sacred and eternal, so for me, such a process is a natural part of rebirth and a matter of deep respect.
Just found this: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/12/31/arrested-for-burning-a-koran-19-year-old-bailed-and-moved-away-for-own-safety/

A 19 year old was arrested for uploading a video of him tearing a Koran apart, putting it in a toilet and then burning it. In my opinion, uploading a video of yourself destroying a Koran should be completely legal.

Funnily enough, the guy had to be moved to an 'alternative location' for his own safety as the religion of peace didn't take too kindly to his actions.
(edited 7 years ago)
The circumstance would depend but it would not be a good idea in public as some people have been arrested but If you want to burn it go ahead

No idea why you are telling em this. You are the one thats saying its legal and I was the one pointing out to you where the boundary lies.
There was also that pastor guy (Terry Jones) who burnt Koran(s).

Its resulted in riots in Afghanistan and an Islamist group put a bounty of 2.2million dollars on him.

[video="youtube;AVd6UU_j3yg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVd6UU_j3yg[/video]
Original post by NickLCFC
Just found this: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/12/31/arrested-for-burning-a-koran-19-year-old-bailed-and-moved-away-for-own-safety/

A 19 year old was arrested for uploading a video of him tearing a Koran apart, putting it in a toilet and then burning it. In my opinion, uploading a video of yourself destroying a Koran should be completely legal.

Funnily enough, the guy had to be moved to an 'alternative location' for his own safety as the religion of peace didn't take to kindly to his actions.

Not if the intention is to stir religious hatred, which uploading it to share with the public would indicate it was. So despite your opinion, then yes it would be illegal.
Original post by 999tigger
No idea why you are telling em this. You are the one thats saying its legal and I was the one pointing out to you where the boundary lies.

As strictly speaking it is legal but it is a very difficult area as for some stupid reason people have been arrested
Original post by cashcash871
Or is it freedom of speech? Surely it could be interpreted as inciting religious hatred...

(Sorry guys for the click bait- I wanted to call this "what is the boundary between freedom of expression and religious hatred" but that wouldn't get any views...)

In the UK it is (Unless nobody see's hehehe - my outdoor wood burner is greatful for it)
As strictly speaking it is legal but it is a very difficult area as for some stupid reason people have been arrested

Clearly you contradict yourself. It is not a difficult area. It is an offence if you intend to stir up religious hatred. That is not a stupid reason.

Latest

Trending

Trending