The Student Room Group

What do you consider to be the meaning of life?

Whilst there are many points of view on this, and all number of people who would probably say 42, what do you personally consider to be the point of life? What would you class as a 'good' or 'bad life?

Please let's avoid the Hitchhiker's answer; whilst entertaining, it doesn't really lead to an interesting discussion
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good life- peace of mind. Being at a place where you want to be.
Original post by shadowdweller
Whilst there are many points of view on this, and all number of people who would probably say 42, what do you personally consider to be the point of life? What would you class as a 'good' or 'bad life?

Original post by Vikingninja

Ahhh you beat me to it!
There is no actual meaning to life.

The creation of the universe, according to popular theories, was completely random.Therefore, the creation of everything in it is also random—and so there is no meaning of life because our creation was entirely random.

You can view it in a multitude of ways: the meaning of life in a biological sense (to procreate), the meaning of life in an emotional sense and so forth—but the empirical way to view it is in the case of the universe because the universe encompasses everything.

And because there is no actual meaning to life, I believe, it is down to the individual to define what they want to believe the meaning of life is.

Please let's avoid the Hitchhiker's answer; whilst entertaining, it doesn't really lead to an interesting discussion

Life is meaningless. Create whatever meaning you want.

edit: yah, basically what @francis_e_c said
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
The meaning of life is to strive to be great!

While I believe the ultimate goal is to simply reproduce I believe life is still a blessing one should make the most of and cherish. A good life is one that makes you happy and has earned you a lot of respect, regardless of being remembered after death. I believe everyone should strive to make a contribution to the world that will enhance humanity's future, which even tiny things like teaching children respect or clearing up litter go towards.
Original post by francis_e_c
There is no actual meaning to life.

The creation of the universe, according to popular theories, was completely random.Therefore, the creation of everything in it is also random—and so there is no meaning of life because our creation was entirely random.

You can view it in a multitude of ways: the meaning of life in a biological sense (to procreate), the meaning of life in an emotional sense and so forth—but the empirical way to view it is in the case of the universe because the universe encompasses everything.

And because there is no actual meaning to life, I believe, it is down to the individual to define what they want to believe the meaning of life is.

^^ This is true.
Original post by AlphaArgonian
While I believe the ultimate goal is to simply reproduce I believe life is still a blessing one should make the most of and cherish. A good life is one that makes you happy and has earned you a lot of respect, regardless of being remembered after death. I believe everyone should strive to make a contribution to the world that will enhance humanity's future, which even tiny things like teaching children respect or clearing up litter go towards.

I like the way you view it.

Do you believe everyone should procreate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like the way you view it.

Do you believe everyone should procreate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As biological organisms, having children is the foundation for everything we do. I believe many should strive to have offspring. That said, I believe no one should be scorned for choosing not to have them.

What I mean is that it is both the most important and base aim of humans, but in this scenario, the meaning of life, it is not compulsory.
Reply 12
I think life has no meaning. Even if it has, we will never comprehend that.
I believe there is a meaning/purpose for life as in the big whole family tree we're part of and that implies a meaning to every individual's life by default, another link in the chain. It is impossible to wonder what that hypothetical meaning could be, the point is simply whether to believe there may be one or not.
Original post by DonnaN
I think life has no meaning. Even if it has, we will never comprehend that.

Why not?

If people can comprehend the notion of infinity or the universe, then surely everything within the universe is comprehensible. No?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The theory of evolotion tells us that we are related to every single living organism upon the earth.Asking what the meaning of your life is makes no more sense than asking what the meaning of life of a blade of grass is.They just are.Its like the stars they fuse hydrogen into helium,but thats just what stars do.In a similar way genes just replicate.The only meaning of your life is the meaning you yourself give to it.But it should be noted that the odds of us and everyone we know actually being here at all are probably billions to one so you should enjoy it while you can.Carl sagan said that we're just a way for the universe to know itself.
Reply 16
Why not?

If people can comprehend the notion of infinity or the universe, then surely everything within the universe is comprehensible. No?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see your point. And I agree with your previous statement that life has no actual meaning and we define it ourselves.
I think maybe we aren't that important part of the Universe as we think. We are just a part of nature and we mostly harm it.
How can a bacteria comprehend why it is in a vial?
Original post by DonnaN
I see your point. And I agree with your previous statement that life has no actual meaning and we define it ourselves.
I think maybe we aren't that important part of the Universe as we think. We are just a part of nature and we mostly harm it.

Ah, but I said people. Everything in the universe surely can be comprehensible to us - not to bacteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, but I said people. Everything in the universe surely can be comprehensible to us - not to bacteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by DonnaN

According to google there have been over 5 billion species to ever live upon earth.We're the first species to ever leave the planet probably.I would say this actually makes us pretty special.It perhaps suggests that intelligent life is rare.So in that sense we would be both special and meaningless.

I believe life is a test and you will be judged accordingly. So love everyone, forgive and forget as humans are nothing but a number of days until you die.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending