The Student Room Group

Year 11s - When did you start revising for GCSEs?

Since there's been quite a few year 10s on here asking when they should start, I thought it would just be easier to make a thread like this so they would get a general idea of when others started.

I started making resources in January but properly started revising in April.

Scroll to see replies

After reading some of the comments in my topic I'm going to roughly start smaller revision at sept. So basically half an hour to an hour per day. So that's basic revision for my mock exams (Nov-Dec) Then I guess I will be fully revising from January onwards…Not looking forward for year11😕

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm year 10, and I guess I'll revise a little bit this summer. I mean I've been given a lot of homework which is mostly revision anyway. From October half term, I'm going to revise properly, and increase it after I get my Grade 6 piano practical out of the way. I actually am looking forward to year 11 even though it will be hard work, I think it could be fun.
I started in year 10 tbh...I did all of core science & I was revising maths every morning. If you start in September that's fine; the intense revision starts around March/April.
Around November/December of Year 11, so like the beginning of Yr 11. :biggrin:
i never properly revised, as in i didn't do x amount of time each night from a specific time or anything. i went to some revision sessions in school, and crammed a lot right before the exam bc i struggled to retain the information i'd learned for more than 48 hours. there isn't really any point in revising from september, you haven't covered everything yet and you'll burn yourself out. there isn't that much to learn, bc a lot of it is just regurgitating facts. focusing on coursework is more important at the beginning.
Reply 6
Original post by lostintrnslation
there isn't really any point in revising from september, you haven't covered everything yet and you'll burn yourself out. there isn't that much to learn, bc a lot of it is just regurgitating facts. focusing on coursework is more important at the beginning.

This is definitely true.
April!
I revised the night before for all of my exams and so did everyone else. No matter how early you start, it's inevitable that you will forget things so I think it's best to revise around May. I did revise for tests at school though and mocks but just didn't on an ongoing basis. Also, the whole country was unprepared for the Physics exams (the final one) - I'm almost certain I scored under 10/60 on that paper ahahaha.
Made resources all through Year 11 at a very slow pace and started proper revision in March. :smile:
For first 2 weeks of my exams I started in January. For the last 2 weeks I did a day before or a few days before
Reply 11
You'll probably be doing mocks around December time which is when I revised (wasn't really proper revision though). It's good to start proper revision around the Easter holidays and half term breaks for your most demanding subjects.
I revised a bit for the last mocks (can't remember when they were), and continued improving the areas I got wrong. Finally, I went over all of the content in chronological order (with my exam timetable).
Original post by luciie
Since there's been quite a few year 10s on here asking when they should start, I thought it would just be easier to make a thread like this so they would get a general idea of when others started.

I started making resources in January but properly started revising in April.

I revised the night before for most of my exams, some I just did no revision for. Although I told myself I would DEFINITELY start revision in february, then march, then april...
Oh well, it didn't go too badly!:smile:
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I revised the night before for all of my exams and so did everyone else. No matter how early you start, it's inevitable that you will forget things so I think it's best to revise around May. I did revise for tests at school though and mocks but just didn't on an ongoing basis. Also, the whole country was unprepared for the Physics exams (the final one) - I'm almost certain I scored under 10/60 on that paper ahahaha.

Hey what exam board were you for physics? Was it AQA?:smile:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Around November/December of Year 11, so like the beginning of Yr 11. :biggrin:

Well done!:smile:
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
I'm year 10, and I guess I'll revise a little bit this summer. I mean I've been given a lot of homework which is mostly revision anyway. From October half term, I'm going to revise properly, and increase it after I get my Grade 6 piano practical out of the way. I actually am looking forward to year 11 even though it will be hard work, I think it could be fun.

Yeah I hope you find yr 11 fun, I still managed to enjoy myself a lot! Best of luck with your exams!:biggrin:
Original post by tracey_km
After reading some of the comments in my topic I'm going to roughly start smaller revision at sept. So basically half an hour to an hour per day. So that's basic revision for my mock exams (Nov-Dec) Then I guess I will be fully revising from January onwards…Not looking forward for year11😕

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously it's not that bad! Enjoy yourself, you do not want to be stressed when exam season comes around. Good luck!:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
Hey what exam board were you for physics? Was it AQA?:smile:

Yeah :smile: Forgot to mention that.
Im going to be in Yr 13 in Sept... A Levels :sad: Back in Yr 11 I started making resources + Flashcards around early March and got into proper revision early April.

Quick Reply