The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

MA History: Opinion and modules

Hello everyone,

I received an offer for an MA History at UCL. I am from a finance background so I am kinda struggling to choose my modules, given the limited amount of credits we're allowed to accumulate.
So firstly, what's your opinion about this programme ? Secondly, I'd wish to keep some kind of economic spirit throughout the degree, but the modules are vaguely described and often really (like reeeaaaally) narrow so I am really not sure how I am supposed to do that.. Any thoughts ?
Reply 1
Finance to History? How come?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by fg45344
Finance to History? How come?

I just want to do what I like.. I like finance and I like history, I thought finance was a better deal for my bachelor since it's where I wanna be professionally. Plus it is very exciting to be able to change for some time, take more time to read and also take the time to develop my writing and research skills.

I would say that the subject that you study doesn't really matter, you just have to be good at it.. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Mehdi_M
I just want to do what I like.. I like finance and I like history, I thought finance was a better deal for my bachelor since it's where I wanna be professionally. Plus it is very exciting to be able to change for some time, take more time to read and also take the time to develop my writing and research skills.

I would say that the subject that you study doesn't really matter, you just have to be good at it.. :smile:

Do you invest in the stock market?

Amazing you got onto the MA, maybe you can become a historian of finance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by fg45344
Do you invest in the stock market?

Amazing you got onto the MA, maybe you can become a historian of finance.

Hahaha Im not sure that's what Im aiming for but why not ? No I dont invest for now, my bank account isn't really at its best and its summertime anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Mehdi_M
Hello everyone,

I received an offer for an MA History at UCL. I am from a finance background so I am kinda struggling to choose my modules, given the limited amount of credits we're allowed to accumulate.
So firstly, what's your opinion about this programme ? Secondly, I'd wish to keep some kind of economic spirit throughout the degree, but the modules are vaguely described and often really (like reeeaaaally) narrow so I am really not sure how I am supposed to do that.. Any thoughts ?

Well, with your background, I suppose that you should choose (you must choose between 2-4 modules):

Adam Smith and the State
The United States and the World, 1776–1900
Globalisation in the 20th Century
Charismatic Cosmopolitans: Intellectuals and International Institutions in the Interwar Period

Then you must already think of a subject for your 15K word thesis. You could study the administration of a Chancellor or a President of the Board of Trade.
You have to analyse his bills and speeches in the Parliament, and his deeds in the administration. It would mix economics, politics and history.

Alternatively, you could also study the history of a business in a given period. For example "Barclay bank during the Edwardian era", "British Telecom during the Interwar", etc. You would study their economic strategy, political ties, successes and failures, acquisitions, international developments, ownership, etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Josb
Well, with your background, I suppose that you should choose (you must choose between 2-4 modules):

Adam Smith and the State
The United States and the World, 1776–1900
Globalisation in the 20th Century
Charismatic Cosmopolitans: Intellectuals and International Institutions in the Interwar Period

Then you must already think of a subject for your 15K word thesis. You could study the administration of a Chancellor or a President of the Board of Trade.
You have to analyse his bills and speeches in the Parliament, and his deeds in the administration. It would mix economics, politics and history.

Alternatively, you could also study the history of a business in a given period. For example "Barclay bank during the Edwardian era", "British Telecom during the Interwar", etc. You would study their economic strategy, political ties, successes and failures, acquisitions, international developments, ownership, etc.

That's a very comprehensive reply, thank you for that. Although I dont think that Charismatic Cosmopolitans will be taught in 2016-17, but the three remaining modules would make up for it.I am indeed struggling to find an appropriate dissertation subject, so I really appreciate the points you made, I'll make sure to look into that direction. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 7
Coskun Tuncer, Margot Finn and Julian Hoppit are the primary historians of economics and finance in the department - though Prof. Hoppit will be on leave in 2016/17. Given that it's an MA course you usually have some discretion over the subjects you write on for modules as well as, of course, for your dissertation, so it's totally feasible to run an economic thread through modules that otherwise might look disconnected. Think of modules less like undergrad survey courses - where the lecturer sets the pace and the parameters - and more as springboards for your own work in a particular area.
Reply 8
Original post by uclhist
Coskun Tuncer, Margot Finn and Julian Hoppit are the primary historians of economics and finance in the department - though Prof. Hoppit will be on leave in 2016/17. Given that it's an MA course you usually have some discretion over the subjects you write on for modules as well as, of course, for your dissertation, so it's totally feasible to run an economic thread through modules that otherwise might look disconnected. Think of modules less like undergrad survey courses - where the lecturer sets the pace and the parameters - and more as springboards for your own work in a particular area.

Thanks for your answer. What do you mean by "discretion over the subjects I write on"? Of course the dissertation is for me to choose, but I guess the lecturers have set essay titles for courseworks and exam, don't they ?
I'm doing MA history too! What modules have you chosen in the end?

Quick Reply