The Student Room Group

What do you consider to be the meaning of life?

Scroll to see replies

None at all but to just try and enjoy the trials of existence.
Reply 21
Original post by francis_e_c
Ah, but I said people. Everything in the universe surely can be comprehensible to us - not to bacteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bacteria was an analogy.
Original post by DonnaN
Bacteria was an analogy.

But the bacteria analogy is irrelevant and detracts from what I was saying, which was that if the notion of infinity and the universe is comprehensible to humans, then surely everything within the universe is also comprehensible to humans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Life is whatever you choose to make of it. I live to love and seek happiness.
The more you learn about human brains, the more it appears that all brains are simply robotic machines with functions determined by requirements; for optimal functioning and ultimately survival in ones environment.
Ultimately, life is pointless and arbitrary... and the 'point' of life I suppose is often socially determined (its different in different cultures, for instance)... but for me I suppose it would be to improve our current state of being and existence.
...and also keep being very good at video games :biggrin:
Becoming increasingly difficult to answer that question.
I've always found "meaning of life" a bit of a dumb statement tbh. Are we meaning why we were put here in the first place, or what we should be heading towards?

Do we even need one?
Reply 27
But the bacteria analogy is irrelevant and detracts from what I was saying, which was that if the notion of infinity and the universe is comprehensible to humans, then surely everything within the universe is also comprehensible to humans.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Universe appeared from something and it is expanding. So the expanding universe to us is same as a vial to bacteria. The universe can be just a billionth particle of the total creation.
As a wise TSRian once said:
Life is utterly meaningless (most people come to this realisation in their mid 20's). Everything you see around you is man-made - love is nothing more than mutually compatible self-interest, personality is a perception someone else holds of you (i.e., it doesn't actually exist), New Year is just a day on the calendar, the Gregorian calendar is just one of many available options, and to round it all off...you're going to die. Fairly soon too, relatively speaking.

You are but a tiny, miniscule, insignificant speck of dust. You are part of the human meat market - if you happen to be male you'll spend the rest of your natural life being told you're only to be valued for your utility. They tell you they want to know how you feel, but trust me, in a world defined by self-interest, they don't really. No-one wants the truth, everyone wants to hear what they want to hear. Your problems are your own and your feelings are, like it or not, absolutely irrelevant (no-one actually cares).

Everyone is defined by self-interest. Every single thing anyone has ever done has been an expression of self-interest and everything you see around you is fundamentally, unquestionably, impermanent.
No objective meaning, but everyone is free to make up their own. I live to hear good music :love:

Spoiler

So life is nothing more than a sexually tansmitted disease, right?
Original post by DonnaN
Universe appeared from something and it is expanding. So the expanding universe to us is same as a vial to bacteria. The universe can be just a billionth particle of the total creation.

Appeared from what?

...But a vial doesn't expand. :biggrin:

I mean, technically, the universe contains all matter - but you're hinting at the possibility of a multiverse, which, of course, is possible.

On another note, I fail to see how this relates back to what you/I said earlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by shadowdweller
Whilst there are many points of view on this, and all number of people who would probably say 42, what do you personally consider to be the point of life? What would you class as a 'good' or 'bad life?

Please let's avoid the Hitchhiker's answer; whilst entertaining, it doesn't really lead to an interesting discussion

If someone gave you a blank canvas with some paint and a paint brush - would you ask what the purpose of the blank canvas is?
Original post by Robby2312
According to google there have been over 5 billion species to ever live upon earth.We're the first species to ever leave the planet probably.I would say this actually makes us pretty special.It perhaps suggests that intelligent life is rare.So in that sense we would be both special and meaningless.

I respectfully disagree.

We're not special. There is, undoubtedly, intelligent life forms all across the universe, considering there are billions of planets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Salamandastron
Becoming increasingly difficult to answer that question.

I'm intrigued. How so?
I'm intrigued. How so?

Because I don't see the point anymore
Original post by Salamandastron
Because I don't see the point anymore

Anymore?
I don't even think there is any, but it can be interpreted in different ways. Like for some it's to have fun, others to have children to some it may be to please and worship God etc.
Anymore?

Yes. Because I once did and I do no longer
42 is old now.
Hows about 63.7562?

But the meaning of life could be anything really. But life just wants to test us by making us suffer and see who comes out on top. It wants to know who will fail and just abuse others to make their suffering seem relevant.
Its all just a massive test of how strong we are inside!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending