Scroll to see replies

Original post by nisha.sri
No Worries !! Thank you x Haha I'm going to start year 12 :h:

Awesome! What are you taking? :smile:
Original post by _gcx
Awesome! What are you taking? :smile:

Biology, Chemistry,Maths and Economics :h:
Day 5:

Chill day, today, but I made an important advancement, learning how to do a tangent of a line, confidently! I get normals too, but I haven't got around to actually applying my knowledge of a normal. I tried a C1 tangent/differentiation question and got 9/10. I forgot to multiply by two to make my answer an integer, which cost me an answer mark. After having tried to conquer this topic for a while, it feels good to finally understand it, and to be able to apply that understanding. When I look back, it looks easy, as with anything lol. No advances elsewhere, wasn't really in the mood. I've done more than I expected to do in the whole holiday, already! I was expecting to do nothing and then do like an hour on the last day, but I've done pretty much at least an hour a day of revision. This thread is helping me avoid procrastination! :h: Thanks for being there, anyone who's reading this :wink:
Day 6:

Physics - All P1 notes done, finally! :biggrin: My knowledge, simple by making those notes, has dramatically increased. I am planning on doing a P1 past paper later today, and I shall post what I get. Hopefully it's better than a C, hoping to get an A. After that work on P1 I can be satisfied that I am now back on track :h:, although I still have to maintain that knowledge which may involve a bit of revision here and there. Overall, I am satisfied with the notes I have taken with help from my revision guide.

Maths - More C1 practice, might start looking into vectors and circle theorems later on today, but that's all I've done for now. I may decide against taking Further Maths. My friend advised that it wouldn't be worth it to sit to the exam, and would just be time consuming to have another GCSE to work on. I'm still pretty much undecided on this matter, and I don't even know whether my school will even allow me to. Me and him are starting on A-Level work, because we're that bored :3 [and interested in Maths] If anyone wants help with GCSE Maths, I'll help and it'll be revision and practice for both of us. :biggrin:

French - Did a bit of French with my friend on Skype. May not qualify as revision, but I am really putting off French. I'll have to do some revision eventually, so that will maybe come later down the line, maybe in a few weeks. For now, no progress other than a vocab list. I discovered the listening exam I took was June 2012 and was not public, and thus I couldn't find it on AQA's website, so no notes there :frown:

Overall: Doing this too quickly and I'm running out of work. This is a problem since I'll have to put more effort into maintaining this knowledge. Although, as I have been through it once, it shouldn't be too much of a big deal. I know I'm doing too much, and that's because it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus I am a paranoid freak. :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Update:

Did a Physics past paper, June 2015, and super happy with the results! 49/60 which is an A*! :biggrin:

Further Maths - Note to self, remember - and +s in differentiation. For example, when I differentiated -9/x, I accidentally differentiated 9/x, resulting in the wrong sign in the final answer, getting -9/x^2 not 9/x^2 :frown:

Original post by peppercherry
Wow, this plan sounds really thorough! Seeing how far you've come from your first mock results I can tell you're going to progress a lot in Year 11. It must be quite annoying that you're the first year group on the new 1-9 spec - I'm very lucky that I was in the last year group to sit the current GCSEs >.<

Good luck, you sound really motivated and I hope you achieve your goal of studying Computer Science at uni :biggrin:

I was part of the last year group to sit the current GCSE's too and I agree that we are very lucky!:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
I was part of the last year group to sit the current GCSE's too and I agree that we are very lucky!:smile:

Well, luckily it's only in Maths and English. English hasn't changed too much, except from its closed book in regards to the Anthology, and there's no coursework, and Maths has become harder. The negative, of course, is that we're completely clueless as to what the grade boundaries will roughly be like :frown:

Next year gets the whole treatment, except a few subjects (I think IT and DT?), so they're doubly lucky as us (sarcasm :P) lol.
Original post by _gcx
Well, luckily it's only in Maths and English. English hasn't changed too much, except from its closed book in regards to the Anthology, and there's no coursework, and Maths has become harder. The negative, of course, is that we're completely clueless as to what the grade boundaries will roughly be like :frown:

Next year gets the whole treatment, except a few subjects (I think IT and DT?), so they're doubly lucky as us (sarcasm :P) lol.

Yeah I know that its just maths and english, and despite the changes I am sure you will do really well! I am just lazy when it comes to revision (revised the night before for my exams) and I am sure I would do really badly, as the new exams are harder. Also, I'm pretty crap at maths I already thought it was hard enough!:frown: But since you are really motivated I am sure you will do really well! Best of luck!:smile:

Also, for english does that mean you have to memorise all the poems?
Original post by nisha.sri
Biology, Chemistry,Maths and Economics :h:

Snap! I'm doing the same as you and starting year 12 next year!:smile: Do you have any idea what career you are interested in?
Yeah I know that its just maths and english, and despite the changes I am sure you will do really well! I am just lazy when it comes to revision (revised the night before for my exams) and I am sure I would do really badly, as the new exams are harder. Also, I'm pretty crap at maths I already thought it was hard enough!:frown: But since you are really motivated I am sure you will do really well! Best of luck!:smile:

Yes, it does. :banana: (one is given to you per question, though, I believe - "In this poem and another within the anthology" <-- something along those lines)

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Update:

Did a Physics past paper, June 2015, and super happy with the results! 49/60 which is an A*! :biggrin:

Further Maths - Note to self, remember - and +s in differentiation. For example, when I differentiated -9/x, I accidentally differentiated 9/x, resulting in the wrong sign in the final answer, getting -9/x^2 not 9/x^2 :frown:

Hi :smile:

I read that you struggle with French. The following website may help you for your speaking assessment in Yr 11.

http://www.voki.com - I used this website which was suggested by my French teacher (she has retired and is living in South Africa!) It is really good for pronunciation. My biggest tip is don't ever use Google Translate for French. You can get the CGP guide for French if you're really struggling + there are lots of websites online such as Languages online. Also ask your teacher for help! Get her to mark your drafts and correct any errors. She's there for a reason

3 stages to acing the speaking assessment... :biggrin:

- Write down your paragraphs on cue cards and read and repeat until you can say it from memory.
- Type up your paragraphs on Voki and listen to the pronunciation of the words. You can pause and play it as much as you like. Do this for all of the paragraphs. (I basically noted down the pronunciation for most of the words in a separate piece of cue card and practiced the pronunciations by reading it out loud and clearly)
- Take a deep breath before you start to speak.

You're all set! Good luck in your GCSEs!!!

:france::flower2::france::banana::banana::banana:

You guys will have to memorise all the key quotes for the novels/books you're doing. I'm not sure about the poems. Are the exam boards still doing the unseen poems though??
Original post by Workangel_24
You guys will have to memorise all the key quotes for the novels/books you're doing. I'm not sure about the poems. Are the exam boards still doing the unseen poems though??

Oh sorry I don't think I made it clear but I did my exams this year!:smile:
Oh sorry I don't think I made it clear but I did my exams this year!:smile:

Oh silly me!! Good luck for Results day then :smile:
Oh silly me!! Good luck for Results day then :smile:

Thanks!:smile: Did you do your GCSE's this year too?
Hi :smile:

I read that you struggle with French. The following website may help you for your speaking assessment in Yr 11.

- I used this website which was suggested by my French teacher (she has retired and is living in South Africa!) It is really good for pronunciation. My biggest tip is don't ever use Google Translate for French. You can get the CGP guide for French if you're really struggling + there are lots of websites online such as Languages online. Also ask your teacher for help! Get her to mark your drafts and correct any errors. She's there for a reason

3 stages to acing the speaking assessment... :biggrin:

- Write down your paragraphs on cue cards and read and repeat until you can say it from memory.
- Type up your paragraphs on Voki and listen to the pronunciation of the words. You can pause and play it as much as you like. Do this for all of the paragraphs. (I basically noted down the pronunciation for most of the words in a separate piece of cue card and practiced the pronunciations by reading it out loud and clearly)
- Take a deep breath before you start to speak.

You're all set! Good luck in your GCSEs!!!

:france::flower2::france::banana::banana::banana:

Thanks! I will definitely looking into it for pronunciation, it should prove extremely useful! My problem wasn't so much the knowledge, but more anxiety, which resulted in me stuttering and pronouncing words incorrectly. My teacher is extremely insistent on us getting really good drafts, she keeps on making us redo them until we get them to a standard which she deems acceptable. She, too, is concerned, and I have talked to her. I have said that it if I were to redo it, I would redo a writing, due to the anxiety which unavoidable all along. She said I was a solid B, near an A maybe, in class, but my anxiety truly tore me to shreds. I felt like crying, and she was asking me why I was so stressed, and that my performance in class was so different, as if a completely different person. I will wait until I do my writing, which I believe is in November, before I do another writing/speaking. In the end, I was 1 UMS of a B, so I'd likely get a B as my final grade anyway. I will push for that A, by trying to ace my next writing/speaking, probably redoing my others if I need to. I do actually have a CGP revision guide for French, but I haven't got around to using it, I will try to, in time. A B wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would stand out among my (hopefully) A*s and maybe the odd A.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Yes, at least AQA, my exam board.
Thanks!:smile: Did you do your GCSE's this year too?

2015 :smile:
Original post by _gcx
Thanks! I will definitely looking into it for pronunciation, it should prove extremely useful! My problem wasn't so much the knowledge, but more anxiety, which resulted in me stuttering and pronouncing words incorrectly. My teacher is extremely insistent on us getting really good drafts, she keeps on making us redo them until we get them to a standard which she deems acceptable. She, too, is concerned, and I have talked to her. I have said that it if I were to redo it, I would redo a writing, due to the anxiety which unavoidable all along. She said I was a solid B, near an A maybe, in class, but my anxiety truly tore me to shreds. I felt like crying, and she was asking me why I was so stressed, and that my performance in class was so different, as if a completely different person. I will wait until I do my writing, which I believe is in November, before I do another writing/speaking. In the end, I was 1 UMS of a B, so I'd likely get a B as my final grade anyway. I will push for that A, by trying to ace my next writing/speaking, probably redoing my others if I need to. I do actually have a CGP revision guide for French, but I haven't got around to using it, I will try to, in time. A B wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would stand out among my (hopefully) A*s and maybe the odd A.

Spoiler

Hey don't worry too much about your anxiety because if you think about it then you're going to get more anxious. Why don't you practice some deep relaxing techniques or meditation or even try listening to some calm or zen music while revising? It's proven to work for a lot of people.
2015 :smile:

Oh ok so how did you find results day?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest