The Student Room Group
I doubt they need to attend careers fairs, it not like there's a shortage of prospective bankers applying for job interviews. Why are you interested in banks in particular?
Original post by Cap.Henry Avery
I doubt they need to attend careers fairs, it not like there's a shortage of prospective bankers applying for job interviews. Why are you interested in banks in particular?

The position I'm interested in is mostly offered by banks and some consultancy firms. It's pretty obvious BBs and other big banks don't need to but I'd expect at least some smaller banks to be there. But then I've never been to a London career fairs so I really have no idea.
Original post by vader9280
The position I'm interested in is mostly offered by banks and some consultancy firms. It's pretty obvious BBs and other big banks don't need to but I'd expect at least some smaller banks to be there. But then I've never been to a London career fairs so I really have no idea.

Most banking corporations expect prospective employees to have a university education and a degree in banking, concerning what job you want to do. I know this because I too was interested in a banking job in the Canary Wharf area. But unless you are emensely good at mathematics, have the time to attend university for several years to do a banking degree and don't mind the fact that you will start working life with a massive student debt, then go for it. Other then that keep your expectations in check.
I've only ever been to 1-2 career fairs but this year plan to attend all the big ones in London. I was wondering do banks ever bother coming to these fairs? Which ones have you seen? How useful are these fairs in terms of networking or getting useful information/tips?

Yes, especially at their target schools

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most banking corporations expect prospective employees to have a university education and a degree in banking, concerning what job you want to do. I know this because I too was interested in a banking job in the Canary Wharf area. But unless you are emensely good at mathematics, have the time to attend university for several years to do a banking degree and don't mind the fact that you will start working life with a massive student debt, then go for it. Other then that keep your expectations in check.

This is all inaccurate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

I don't think 'banking' degrees exist afaik
Original post by Princepieman
This is all inaccurate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why then?
Original post by Trapz99
I don't think 'banking' degrees exist afaik

Degrees related to banking genius finance, marketing etc.
Why then?

1. Banks come on campus for various events (including careers fairs, networking sessions, info sessions, panels etc)
2. You don't need to be 'exceptionally good at maths'
3. Your degree subject doesn't matter (with only a few exceptions to this)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing a degree in physics so I'd say I'm pretty good at maths.
Original post by Princepieman
1. Banks come on campus for various events (including careers fairs, networking sessions, info sessions, panels etc)
2. You don't need to be 'exceptionally good at maths'
3. Your degree subject doesn't matter (with only a few exceptions to this)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.
Degrees related to banking genius finance, marketing etc.

That's wrong. You can get into banking with any degree as long as it's from a good university.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
That's wrong. You can get into banking with any degree as long as it's from a good university.

Some divisions like trading, quant etc. will obviously prefer students with quantitative degrees though.
Some divisions like trading, quant etc. will obviously prefer students with quantitative degrees though.

Yeah that's true. Some trading desks prefer quantitative degrees and to be a quant you need to have a very quantitative degree.

Most of trading is open to everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99

I don't think so trapz, when I looked on the requirements list for job interviews at banking corporations they expect a university degree concerning the practice of banking, finance etc. To say "you can get into banking with any degree" is ambiguous. Can you get into banking with a degree in feminist studies? I don't think so.
I'm doing a degree in physics so I'd say I'm pretty good at maths.

But banking interviewers want to see a degree in the financial sector. That's what people working towards a career in banking/finance told me. They won't look twice at you if you haven't gone to university as well apparently.
But banking interviewers want to see a degree in the financial sector. That's what people working towards a career in banking/finance told me. They won't look twice at you if you haven't gone to university as well apparently.

No they don't, stop spreading misinformation.

Finance firms are some of THE most open employers with regards to degree subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending