The Student Room Group

Applying to be an officer at 18 in the Navy or RAF

Hello people, I've seen many posts about the RAF and Navy but couldn't find what I wanted so here goes, atm I'm studying A levels in Economics, Law and ICT and am predicted good grades in all 3 so thats not an issue same with fitness im doing alright so I will be in good stead for the selection phase, but my main concern is that because I will be 18 will they look at me any differently to that of people who hold a degree, basically will I be less favourable, thanks. Should probably be noteworthy as well that im not interested in being a pilot, im looking at an Intelligence officer in the RAF or Logistics and in the Navy Im looking at a Warfare officer or again a Logistics officers.

Also is there any other things I should do like maybe look for work experience and maybe after college clubs?
(edited 7 years ago)
I wouldn't worry about age. If anything they might look more favourably at you because you are young and eager. Funny thing is I just started a thread similar to something like this.
Original post by Cap.Henry Avery
I wouldn't worry about age. If anything they might look more favourably at you because you are young and eager. Funny thing is I just started a thread similar to something like this.

Thanks a bunch I understand that promotion will be slower and pay will be less but that really doesn't bother me but couldnt they look at it as that I have minimal life experience and wouldnt be suited?
Original post by cameronyates
Thanks a bunch I understand that promotion will be slower and pay will be less but that really doesn't bother me but couldnt they look at it as that I have minimal life experience and wouldnt be suited?

Regardless of age all new cadets at all branches of the 3 services will consider you a "junior cadet", that's not because of age or lack of life skills, that's because they will be showing you the ropes, the CO assigned to your platoon has the responsibility to take care of you, as well as your fellow recruit. They will be looking out for you and vice versa. Do you have any family or friends current or ex serviceman to reassure you about your doubts? They will tell you the same thing.
Reply 4
Age works both ways. Yes, you're less experienced (especially important if you're looking to be an officer), but you've also got less bad habits. Generally speaking you've got to look at it from their point of view. Why would they take you on to lead people when there are others who may have more leadership potential / be able to demonstrate their leadership potential better?

The arguments about pay and promotion are less important now as everyone gets paid equally at the lower stages, it'll come into play later on in your career, sure.

It'll always be better for you personally to have a degree - think about the what ifs - but don't do it just for the sake of it.

Activities and hobbies... There are lots. It doesn't really matter what they are, they just need to be things that a- you enjoy and can get motivated by and b- be something that you can use to show you have the potential to lead.
Original post by cameronyates
Hello people, I've seen many posts about the RAF and Navy but couldn't find what I wanted so here goes, atm I'm studying A levels in Economics, Law and ICT and am predicted good grades in all 3 so thats not an issue same with fitness im doing alright so I will be in good stead for the selection phase, but my main concern is that because I will be 18 will they look at me any differently to that of people who hold a degree, basically will I be less favourable, thanks. Should probably be noteworthy as well that im not interested in being a pilot, im looking at an Intelligence officer in the RAF or Logistics and in the Navy Im looking at a Warfare officer or again a Logistics officers.

Also is there any other things I should do like maybe look for work experience and maybe after college clubs?

Disclaimer: My experience is with the AOSB (Army Officer Selection Board), so feel free to discard.

The average age of candidates seemed to be around 23. The younger ones tended to struggle both in terms of maturity and in getting their voice across.

I think you have to be quite exceptional to pass at 18. Whereas even an average candidate at 23 is more likely to be accepted. Finishing the factory at 19 or so and commanding a platoon is a lot of responsibility for a young man.

My personal advice would be to get some Reservist experience / UOTC experience first.

Best of luck,

SS
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest