Original post by jneill
http://spectrum.ieee.org/static/interactive-the-top-programming-languages-2016

1. C
2. Java
3. Python
4. C++
5. R

Anyone else surprised C is top dog?

Not really as C is the underlying of every system. But surprised R is above JavaScript given how popular js is

Posted from my phone, excuse my typo's
didn't think python would be that high up. but not surprised with java though
Reply 3
Original post by bigboateng_
Not really as C is the underlying of every system. But surprised R is above JavaScript given how popular js is

Posted from my phone, excuse my typo's

I just thought C was rather oldskool these days. Good to see it isn't.

But bring back APL and Pascal, I say!
Reply 4
I guess I might have wasted my time learning C#...
Original post by Wisbey

kinda makes me glad to be learning java atm.
yes, i'd put java above C
So more stuff was programmed in C than in Java in 2016?
Imo you can't compare say C to js, as far as I'm aware of, they're used for different purposes.

So i think there should be at least two seperate lists. One for Web development, and the other for programs.

(I'm just a beginner so this might have been the dumbest thing you've ever read)
Reply 9
Original post by MahuduElec
Imo you can't compare say C to js, as far as I'm aware of, they're used for different purposes.

So i think there should be at least two seperate lists. One for Web development, and the other for programs.

(I'm just a beginner so this might have been the dumbest thing you've ever read)

The table does have seperate categories: web, mobile, enterprise and embedded :smile:
Original post by jneill
The table does have seperate categories: web, mobile, enterprise and embedded :smile:

I see, should prob click on the link before I comment haha.

Glad to see the 3 im learning, (C, C++ and java) still at the top.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ITT: People who think that learning a specific programming language is more important than learning the underlying concepts.
Original post by marioman
ITT: People who think that learning a specific programming language is more important than learning the underlying concepts.

This lol
Reply 13
Original post by marioman

Well it is important - career choices etc. Wanna end up in gaming? c++. Embedded? C. Desktop apps - C#.
Original post by Wisbey

Not at all. But you don't get very many pure C# jobs. It is mostly associated with ASP.net

I am really surprised by C being number one. It is a long time since I saw C as the number one job requirement. As a C++ developer myself, I have seen a fairly sharp decline in recent years as companies ditch their existing offering in favour of web portals. Either than or they maintain their back-end but put a new web based UI on it.

That said, there is still demand for C / C++ in finance, gaming and embedded but there is much more "new" industry using a variety of web technologies.
dubious about the methodology - arduino is a language?

I suspect this is the result of a keyword search of job adverts... probably going to overreport lot of small companies hiring short term contractors for little projects and underreport big companies with lots of full time programmers who have filing cabinets full of CVs

strongly suspect SQL (#24) will make you more money than Processing (#23)

looking at some of those languages I get the strong whiff of legacy / maintenance coding.
Reply 16
Original post by Joinedup
dubious about the methodology - arduino is a language?

I suspect this is the result of a keyword search of job adverts... probably going to overreport lot of small companies hiring short term contractors for little projects and underreport big companies with lots of full time programmers who have filing cabinets full of CVs

Methodology:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/ns/IEEE_TPL_2016/methods.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sources cover contexts that include social chatter, open-source code production, and job postings.

well if social chatter includes students asking for help with their assignments that'd explain a few things.
Reply 18
Original post by ByEeek
Not at all. But you don't get very many pure C# jobs. It is mostly associated with ASP.net

I am really surprised by C being number one. It is a long time since I saw C as the number one job requirement. As a C++ developer myself, I have seen a fairly sharp decline in recent years as companies ditch their existing offering in favour of web portals. Either than or they maintain their back-end but put a new web based UI on it.

That said, there is still demand for C / C++ in finance, gaming and embedded but there is much more "new" industry using a variety of web technologies.

Yeah it's a shame it's declining as c++11/14 has actually made it a very nice all round language - really I think once learnt properly it's superior to c# in every way (excluding .NET integration - CLI is ugly). Even for development speed I'd say c++ is better. However with making it more complex, it means there's more of a learning curve and you end up with teams of c++ developers where 1/2 of the guys write really bad code.
Reply 19
C over Java? Nooooooo!

Quick Reply

Latest