The Student Room Group

How to get over a breakup

I really need advice as I am not coping. I don't want to get into it all but I'm really devastated. I have cried on and off for more than 24 hours since I have decided to take a break. Anyone have advice on how to cope with this? This is my second relationship which has lasted nearly 1 year and 6 months. My first relationship lasted 4 years but it didn't affect me as much because it was abusive and controlling so I was glad to get out of it. This second relationship I guess could be classified as my first normal one so maybe that's why it hurts more because I don't want it to end but I have to end it because he started to be nasty to me.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slee551
I really need advice as I am not coping. I don't want to get into it all but I'm really devastated. I have cried on and off for more than 24 hours since I have decided to take a break. Anyone have advice on how to cope with this? This is my second relationship which has lasted nearly 1 year and 6 months. My first relationship lasted 4 years but it didn't affect me as much because it was abusive and controlling so I was glad to get out of it. This second relationship I guess could be classified as my first normal one so maybe that's why it hurts more because I don't want it to end but I have to end it because he started to be nasty to me.

Maybe it doesn't have to end, isn't there a resolve? Can't you guys talk it out?
Reply 2
Well you've said he's turned nasty reflect on that, how he's turned and you deserve better. Just participate in things friends are doing to take your mind off him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Maybe it doesn't have to end, isn't there a resolve? Can't you guys talk it out?

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I have tried many times, it turns into a circular argument. He never admits when he is wrong and he acts passive aggressive with me. I really wish we could be together but things have been pretty bad. I don't see things improving unfortunately.
Reply 4
Original post by SMEGGGY
Well you've said he's turned nasty reflect on that, how he's turned and you deserve better. Just participate in things friends are doing to take your mind off him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for your reply. That's what everyone is telling me, and it's what my gut is telling me but It's just hard getting over the pain. Sorry to be a moan about things.
Original post by slee551
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. I have tried many times, it turns into a circular argument. He never admits when he is wrong and he acts passive aggressive with me. I really wish we could be together but things have been pretty bad. I don't see things improving unfortunately.

Well that's where you have to work with him, what are you two constantly disagreeing about? Surely if he wasn't this harsh before then something must have changed or it must be a very touchy topic. Sometimes a key thing for couples is to agree to disagree. However tell him - in a calm way - how you genuinely feel and see if you can find a resolve. Don't act timid and don't be too harsh. Look where peaceful protest have brought us then look at rowdy violent protests, using harsh language and being harsh about something you don't want to hear isn't a correct approach and maybe if you set an example he will follow.

( sorry you didn't give much background about why there was an argument so that's the best I can doeth!)
Reply 6
Go to a friend who you trust, and talk about everything, eat too much comfort food and cry yourself out. It will be horrible, but it will get better, just surround yourself around people who love and support you and you'll get through it all, I promise. 🙂
Let yourself cry, cry as hard as you can and let it all out. Cry until theres no more tears. Don't bottle up, face it head on and feel it fully.

Cut all contact, dont check his social media, don't answer calls or texts from him.

Get your hair cut and buy some new clothes.

Throw yourself fully into work and the gym.

Make extra time to see your family and friends, put your social efforts into overdrive and give your new free time to them.

Time is a great healer, it hurts and it sucks, especially if you still care about them. He'll be fine, you'll be fine, and your life will go on to something more fitting.
Reply 8
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Well that's where you have to work with him, what are you two constantly disagreeing about? Surely if he wasn't this harsh before then something must have changed or it must be a very touchy topic. Sometimes a key thing for couples is to agree to disagree. However tell him - in a calm way - how you genuinely feel and see if you can find a resolve. Don't act timid and don't be too harsh. Look where peaceful protest have brought us then look at rowdy violent protests, using harsh language and being harsh about something you don't want to hear isn't a correct approach and maybe if you set an example he will follow.

( sorry you didn't give much background about why there was an argument so that's the best I can doeth!)

Well, all I wanted is to see him more because we don't see each other much and he only lives around the corner from my house. i just asked him that could I see him more but nothing changes. He makes excuses at times last minute and says it isn't worth his time if he can only stay for 2 hours. Which I think is plenty of time. When I told him that it hurts me he dismisses how I feel. I don't get angry, I don't feel I'm too timid either but because I wanted a break for a few days he called me a heartless b*tch. He has anger issues. I don't want to say anymore because it is his business. He says sorry but doesn't seem to listen and act on how I feel. He diverts the convo and never addresses issues with me even though I try to. I think he is just too immature for a relationship to be honest.
Reply 9
Original post by Nimrahk123
Go to a friend who you trust, and talk about everything, eat too much comfort food and cry yourself out. It will be horrible, but it will get better, just surround yourself around people who love and support you and you'll get through it all, I promise. 🙂

Thank you so much!
Reply 10
Original post by Double Agent
Let yourself cry, cry as hard as you can and let it all out. Cry until theres no more tears. Don't bottle up, face it head on and feel it fully.

Cut all contact, dont check his social media, don't answer calls or texts from him.

Get your hair cut and buy some new clothes.

Throw yourself fully into work and the gym.

Make extra time to see your family and friends, put your social efforts into overdrive and give your new free time to them.

Time is a great healer, it hurts and it sucks, especially if you still care about them. He'll be fine, you'll be fine, and your life will go on to something more fitting.

Thank you so much for this!
Original post by slee551
Thank you so much for this!

You will soon be thinking, why an earth did I get so upset over this?
We've all been there :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by BioGeek
You will soon be thinking, why an earth did I get so upset over this?
We've all been there :smile:

That's true. Thank you!!:smile:
Reply 13
Rebound.
Time and space. Block them out of your life and focus on yourself.

You'll be alright in the end! Just give yourself time! :smile:
Original post by slee551

my cure for my bad break up was 4 things
meaningless hookups
stupid spending
pizza
and vodka
a lot of vodka and pizza mainly
You just have to go through the heart break hardcore. Cry it out, it'll take time but you'll get over it even though it doesn't seem so right now.

Original post by Scott.
Rebound.

Rebounding won't help her in this case.
Reply 17
Original post by Scott.
Rebound.

Thanks but no thanks! I'm going to stay single for a long time and just focus on my studies :smile:
Reply 18
Thank you so much! That is exactly what my brother told me to do lol:smile::tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by jamesthehustler
my cure for my bad break up was 4 things
meaningless hookups
stupid spending
pizza
and vodka
a lot of vodka and pizza mainly

Thanks for the advice! I think I will do all the above with the exception of meaningless hookups :smile::tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending