The Student Room Group

Why is gender equality still not a reality in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobML
Do you agree there is a lad culture where taking advantage of girls for sex is seen internally as a positive thing? That's rape culture.
It doesn't have to be at the level of an African backwater to be considered one.

That's obviously a problem, but that doesn't constitute 'rape culture' which would insist a nationwide and institutional problem. There is rape culture in India. There is rape culture in the Middle East. There are barely remnants of rape culture in the West, in the confinements of lad culture.
Reply 301
Original post by upperechelon
That's obviously a problem, but that doesn't constitute 'rape culture' which would insist a nationwide and institutional problem. There is rape culture in India. There is rape culture in the Middle East. There are barely remnants of rape culture in the West, in the confinements of lad culture.

A nationwide problem would be "British culture is a rape culture". I'm just saying there's a rape culture within Britain
Original post by RobML
A nationwide problem would be "British culture is a rape culture". I'm just saying there's a rape culture within Britain

I don't like to use anecdotal/emotional evidence, but after one experiences the horrific ways women are treated in the aforementioned countries, it is a very stark difference between over there and Britain. There is real, debilitating sexism over there. I apologise I may have overlooked certain issues but I feel like this extreme focus on western feminism is petty and distracting from real, genuine need for feminism around the world. I am grateful to live in a country where, I at least, do not feel threatened.
How rude. I enter this thread......But not one complimentary sandwich.
Reply 304
I don't like to use anecdotal/emotional evidence, but after one experiences the horrific ways women are treated in the aforementioned countries, it is a very stark difference between over there and Britain. There is real, debilitating sexism over there. I apologise I may have overlooked certain issues but I feel like this extreme focus on western feminism is petty and distracting from real, genuine need for feminism around the world. I am grateful to live in a country where, I at least, do not feel threatened.

Both examples of this culture deserve to burn in hellfire, even if they are of vastly different magnitudes. And I'm sure there are enough good people in this world that both can be stamped out.
Ugh. People living in one country passing universal simplistic judgements on the 'rape cultures' of other countries that they've probably never even been to. :rolleyes:
Original post by bolly_mad
Ugh. People living in one country passing universal simplistic judgements on the 'rape cultures' of other countries that they've probably never even been to. :rolleyes:

But what if they have
But what if they have

Go on, I'll bite. Where have you been then?
Original post by bolly_mad
Go on, I'll bite. Where have you been then?

I've been to India. I've been to Pakistan. I've been to Oman and the UAE. I've had differing experiences in each country
I've been to India. I've been to Pakistan. I've been to Oman and the UAE. I've had differing experiences in each country

Can't talk for most of those countries, but in India's case, no doubt there are issues there with misogyny and rape, but to unilaterally decide that 1.2 billion people have a 'rape culture' only reduces the issues to a stereotype, is unfair and ultimately unhelpful. Not every Indian woman is raped the moment they leave their houses. Nor is every Indian man waiting in the bushes to jump a woman. Pretty sure these Indian guys don't have a 'rape culture'.

Indian men can and should act better in general. But dealing with the wider issue will require education, police reform, socio-economic development and time......not generalisations.
Original post by Sapphire321
Yes but why is that? It's gender conditioning which makes less and less girls choose science and maths subjects the further in education you go. From GCSE to A Level to University the number of girls and women taking STEM subjects keeps on decreasing.

Its not gender conditioning.Its simply that boys and girls have different interests.Girls are more
Likely to choose something like english literature but boys are more likely to choose something like physics.Just like girls in general have more interest in shopping than boys.Its just an inherent difference and nothing to do with conditioning.Girls and boys just make different choices.
Original post by Robby2312
Its not gender conditioning.Its simply that boys and girls have different interests.Girls are more
Likely to choose something like english literature but boys are more likely to choose something like physics.Just like girls in general have more interest in shopping than boys.Its just an inherent difference and nothing to do with conditioning.Girls and boys just make different choices.

How dare you suggest scientifically proven differences between the sexes exist you misogynist.
Reply 312
Original post by joecphillips
How dare you suggest scientifically proven differences between the sexes exist you misogynist.

Even if you think the different interests are inherent, you cannot deny that social pressures unnecessarily exacerbate them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Do you agree there is a lad culture where taking advantage of girls for sex is seen internally as a positive thing? That's rape culture.
It doesn't have to be at the level of an African backwater to be considered one.

Taking advantage of someone and raping them are very different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Even if you think the different interests are inherent, you cannot deny that social pressures unnecessarily exacerbate them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe so but that does not prove systematic sexism against girls.If girls are expected to pursue more feminine subjects then boys are expected not to cry or show weakness.Modern western women are probably the most priveliged women to ever live and all they do is complain of sexism.Suicide is the most common cause of death for men under a certain age and higher for gay people but you never seem to hear anything about that.
Original post by Robby2312
Maybe so but that does not prove systematic sexism against girls.If girls are expected to pursue more feminine subjects then boys are expected not to cry or show weakness.Modern western women are probably the most priveliged women to ever live and all they do is complain of sexism.Suicide is the most common cause of death for men under a certain age and higher for gay people but you never seem to hear anything about that.

Nor do any feminists complain about the disproportionate allocation of custody of children

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly.You can just as much say society is biased against men.What about the different sentances for men and women who commit the same criminal acts? What about the fact more women go on to study at university than men? Or how about the fact that breast cancer recieves so much more funding to the detriment of other cancers?.
Ahh victimhood complex. Why is female entitlement still an issue in 2016?
Come on guys, it's 2016, we need to stop using the current date as an argument.
What can men do that women are prevented from doing?

Quick Reply

Latest