The Student Room Group

Travelling to Japan!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by markova21
I lived and worked in Japan for 3 years as a professional dancer. Not in Tokyo though, but in three very different areas. [ Ito, Minakami and Kinosaki]. My favourite place was a town called Ito in Shizuoka Prefecture. It's not too far from Mount Fuji and Tokyo is about 3 hours away on the train. Nice town with some good shops [well used to be] and they have a lovely tranquil beach. Can't say for definate what it is like now. I was last there in 1991. No foreigners [except for us 6 girls and 1 boy], so we got lots of stares and finger pointings going on with the local children who were not used to seeing Gaijins [foreigners]. If you can get to Kyoto, the old capital , go. Far more rewarding than Tokyo, I think. Oh and don't be dismayed by all the young hip things [in Tokyo] wearing very expensive clothes. The Japanese mostly rent, so because they don't have mortgages, have plenty of disposable income. In many areas around Tokyo it's like a fashion show.

Out of curiosity, why do you find Kyoto more rewarding than Tokyo? I've just got back and Kyoto was my disappointment. I was severely bored.*
I want to go to Japan, but my family don't like the idea of me going after what just happened in Germany. :sad:
Original post by Airfairy
Out of curiosity, why do you find Kyoto more rewarding than Tokyo? I've just got back and Kyoto was my disappointment. I was severely bored.*

I just got the impression it was more traditionally Japanese. For instance, we were walking down the street and a fancy car pulled up. [I think they are called Geiko in Kyoto or something like that]. Out stepped an elderly Geisha ,in full regalia, white face paint the works. We just stood there and gasped. She acknowledged our admiration and smiled at us all. I'll never forget it. Many many women wear traditional Japanese Kimono, but to see a real Geisha in all her finery was something I will never forget. Doubt we would have seen one in the centre of Tokyo, although I could be wrong. I'd certainly never seen a Geisha in any of the places I had lived.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RavioliDance
I want to go to Japan, but my family don't like the idea of me going after what just happened in Germany. :sad:

Yeah, Munich and Ansbach were shocking. I understand that your family. Those happenings in the last days made them insecure. And not only your family. Albeit there is no guarantee of being secure, even in peaceful and harmless times. Would say going to Japan after a while, even if this while lasts some years.*
I would avoid the place like the plague, wouldn't even holiday there personally. Simple minded little bigots that can't cope with racial difference or think out of the box. They're a nation of clap ridden alcoholics.

Quick Reply

Latest