The Student Room Group

Internships and the Personal Statement (Law)

Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to take part in two one-week law internships at two different high-level law firms. I feel I should name the companies in my statement, but I'm afraid of coming across as cocky/pompous.

What are your thoughts? Thanks so much.
Names aren't important. What you did, learnt and how it's relevant to your application is.
Original post by timothyh
Hi all,

I've been lucky enough to take part in two one-week law internships at two different high-level law firms. I feel I should name the companies in my statement, but I'm afraid of coming across as cocky/pompous.

What are your thoughts? Thanks so much.

No law is very competitive, definitely list it.
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Names aren't important. What you did, learnt and how it's relevant to your application is.

Agreed. But I don't see the problem with naming who they have work experience with, OP just shouldn't make a big thing about who they are.

No?
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Agreed. But I don't see the problem with naming who they have work experience with, OP just shouldn't make a big thing about who they are.

No?

This is what I'm thinking, but I'd want to avoid any possibility of making a bad impression, right?
Original post by jneill

No?

I didn't say not to name them I said they weren't important. If they take up a lot of characters or aren't universally recognised names then they don't add much if anything. Reflection is key.
Reply 6
Original post by timothyh
This is what I'm thinking, but I'd want to avoid any possibility of making a bad impression, right?

If you read a relevant book you mention the title and author, if you work somewhere you mention the company. It's not a problem to do so.

But as alleycat said, it's not the company name (or book) that is important, it's what you got from the experience :smile: and that's the interesting bit you should focus on in the PS.
Reply 7
Original post by alleycat393
I didn't say not to name them I said they weren't important. If they take up a lot of characters or aren't universally recognised names then they don't add much if anything. Reflection is key.

Indeed. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
If you read a relevant book you mention the title and author, if you work somewhere you mention the company. It's not a problem to do so.

But as alleycat said, it's not the company name (or book) that is important, it's what you got from the experience :smile: and that's the interesting bit you should focus on in the PS.

Perfect. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending