The Student Room Group

LLB Law at Newcastle University - your views?

I am a prospective LLB applicant at Newcastle University, and the course seems really nice. However, the university seems to be shunned by employers and students altogether. Despite that, Newcastle boasts a supposedly very high employment rate in Law. I would like to hear your views on the university in general and how prestigious you view it.
Think you are making it up. Where are you getting your information from about it being shunned?

There are maybe 6 -10 unis that will give you and advantage in law. Then theres Russell Group and then everyone else where if you fget a 2:1 interview well and have more going for you, then you will do fine.

The question is do you have the A levels to get into Oxbridge? Otherwise go to the best Uni you can but bear in mind going to a place you might enjoy.
Original post by 999tigger
Think you are making it up. Where are you getting your information from about it being shunned?

There are maybe 6 -10 unis that will give you and advantage in law. Then theres Russell Group and then everyone else where if you fget a 2:1 interview well and have more going for you, then you will do fine.

The question is do you have the A levels to get into Oxbridge? Otherwise go to the best Uni you can but bear in mind going to a place you might enjoy.

My aim is to work in London. I spent some time online and noticed that most lawyers from the top sets are from only a few unis : Oxbridge, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and the London unis. Newcastle very rarely appears but it apparently has one of the highest employment rates for law. I guess they just stay in the North East and never actually gravitate to London where the top sets are, unlike Durham. That makes me doubt the reputation of Newcastle as compared to, say Durham, which produces considerably more London lawyers, despite its geographical proximity to Newcastle.
Original post by Y21CheGuevara
My aim is to work in London. I spent some time online and noticed that most lawyers from the top sets are from only a few unis : Oxbridge, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and the London unis. Newcastle very rarely appears but it apparently has one of the highest employment rates for law. I guess they just stay in the North East and never actually gravitate to London where the top sets are, unlike Durham. That makes me doubt the reputation of Newcastle as compared to, say Durham, which produces considerably more London lawyers, despite its geographical proximity to Newcastle.

As I said go to the best Uni you can. The limitation is then on you and your A levels. You didnt say you wanted to be a barrister.

Employment rates in what? Go and examine the data more closely if you want a better insight.

Newcastle isnt as prestigious as Durham obviously and doesnt claim to be. The entry requirements are lower.
Just go and look at the league tables Virgin, Guardian, TES and you can get an idea. If you have a choice between Newcastle and Durham then go to Durham
(edited 7 years ago)
It isnt shunned by employers. Its the 16th biggest supplier of graduates to London Law Firms (most top universities employ from the top 25, as said on their websites).
Original post by Tom5pence
It isnt shunned by employers. Its the 16th biggest supplier of graduates to London Law Firms (most top universities employ from the top 25, as said on their websites).

Wheres the data for this come from?
It's in the 'eh' category of the Russell Group. A tier above Liverpool and Cardiff, a tier below Nottingham and Exeter. In the same tier as Leeds.

Quick Reply