The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Durham vs Nottingham vs Leeds vs Lancaster vs sheffield

(edited 7 years ago)
Warwick and Durham >>>>> Nottingham, Leeds> Lancaster, Sheffield.
Reply 2
Same as above but Durham above Warwick generally, although that may depend on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Durham is better for the arts, Warwick for the management, business and sciences, including Economics.
Reply 4
Original post by AmyAlbertsLamb
Durham is better for the arts, Warwick for the management, business and sciences, including Economics.

What pleb studies business and management at undergraduate level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Giotto
What pleb studies business and management at undergraduate level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmm, so every single student from UCL, LSE and Warwick who studies undergraduate management is a pleb? When they're the students pretty much running the banking industry alongside the other strong competing institutions?
Reply 6
Mmm, so every single student from UCL, LSE and Warwick who studies undergraduate management is a pleb? When they're the students pretty much running the banking industry alongside the other strong competing institutions?

They'd be the ones who studied proper subjects like Maths, Physics, a decent humanity. Business as an undergraduate degree is a soft subject. Its intellectual training is poor; they usually offer basic economics mixed with basic mathematics, mixed with vague, poorly-estabished business scholarship. The exams require little intelligence. A post-graduate degree is fine, but you want a better, more focused intellectual education before hand.
Original post by Giotto
They'd be the ones who studied proper subjects like Maths, Physics, a decent humanity. Business as an undergraduate degree is a soft subject. Its intellectual training is poor; they usually offer basic economics mixed with basic mathematics, mixed with vague, poorly-estabished business scholarship. The exams require little intelligence. A post-graduate degree is fine, but you want a better, more focused intellectual education before hand.

Lol, you sound so flawed. There is no logic to your points neither are there facts. I mentioned LSE, UCL and Warwick because they all do Management degrees. So what, their students aren't competitive?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Lol, you sound so flawed. There is no logic to your points neither are there facts. I mentioned LSE, UCL and Warwick because they all do Management degrees. So what, their students aren't competitive?

Oh you might be able to get a decent job out of it, but you'll still be a semi-educated pleb, having received mostly watered-down, second-hand scholarship from other departments and uninteresting management pseudo-science. I hate to be so blunt about it but there you go. It's not really a case of logic, more of taste.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by fahad789

OP, I cba to read the petty argument in this thread but please think twice before you make life decisions based on advice given to you by school students who havent even had any taste of life in the real world.

Now as this is in the "Business & management" forum, then the correct ranking for business & management would be:

Warwick > Durham > Notts > the rest

If you want proof, please refer to the investment banking/finance forum on here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Durham & Warwick >>> the rest.

Durham has far more competitive students. They're highly academic (as are Warwick, but being bias, Durham's better :P). They have stronger grad prospects and have a better reputation overall. No need for the stats, check it out yourself :smile: good luccccckkkkkk
Original post by AgnesDioxide
Durham & Warwick >>> the rest.

Durham has far more competitive students. They're highly academic (as are Warwick, but being bias, Durham's better :P). They have stronger grad prospects and have a better reputation overall. No need for the stats, check it out yourself :smile: good luccccckkkkkk

I'd agree on Durham having higher entry tarriffs on average and having a better reputation for a range of subjects. However, for business related subjects Warwick is very much ahead of Durham and the others. Lancaster has a fantastic business school (academically) but isn't as well known as the others which can be important dependant on your desired career choice.
I graduated from Durham last year and I really do regret going there because I was simply blinded by its perceived academic prestige and did not give the reality of living in a tiny market town as much thought as I should have done.

So my biggest piece of advice for you would be to view the academic reputation of the university as A factor and not THE factor in your choice.

If you like going out a lot, going to nightclubs and having the more stereotypical uni experience then forget reputation and go to a big city (Leeds, Sheffield)

If you're less inclined to do so and prefer a smaller community vibe with not as much going on then go to somewhere like Durham or Warwick.

Realistically all the universities you've named are first rate and all employees know that so pick the place you think suits you best and everything else will fall into place
Reply 13
Original post by Mrrdoubld
I graduated from Durham last year and I really do regret going there because I was simply blinded by its perceived academic prestige and did not give the reality of living in a tiny market town as much thought as I should have done.

So my biggest piece of advice for you would be to view the academic reputation of the university as A factor and not THE factor in your choice.

If you like going out a lot, going to nightclubs and having the more stereotypical uni experience then forget reputation and go to a big city (Leeds, Sheffield)

If you're less inclined to do so and prefer a smaller community vibe with not as much going on then go to somewhere like Durham or Warwick.

Realistically all the universities you've named are first rate and all employees know that so pick the place you think suits you best and everything else will fall into place

I second the above.

The whole place has quite a boarding school feel because of the bubble atmosphere, the colleges, sportiness, and the typical student. If that's your thing you'll love it, if you're more of the edgy city type you may feel a bit suffocated. It's impossible to have a good night out in terms of quality of music/proper clubbing, for example; it comes down to if you like the people you're going out with.

It's basically a really nice, comfortable, respectable sort of place: Oxbridge-y without the hothouse atmosphere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick over any of the above for Management related subjects (certainly in terms of academic strengths).

Durham perhaps for pedigree (subjective of course).

In any case, pay no attention to the quasi-scholar above who rubbished the degree as weak and not worthwhile - basing his premise on 'not logic, more taste'... In reference to investment banking, you can enter IB with a degree from any discipline - even History (apologies to the History buffs).
Original post by Giotto
Oh you might be able to get a decent job out of it, but you'll still be a semi-educated pleb, having received mostly watered-down, second-hand scholarship from other departments and uninteresting management pseudo-science. I hate to be so blunt about it but there you go. It's not really a case of logic, more of taste.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Management student here and partly agree with your statement. I would only do management at a top school, such as WBS, otherwise it does indeed lack intellectual rigour if the school is low-mid tier.
Warwick> Durham>>>> the rest of the universities.

Check out my post please: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4469328 xx
Warwick and Durham >>>>> Nottingham, Leeds> Lancaster, Sheffield.

for engineering and CS, go with Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending