The Student Room Group

Is America really the greatest country in the world anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bolly_mad
You said America was great because European immigrants built it. I merely pointed out that they did so on land and with resources that were not theirs. I imagine that helped somewhat.

But as I said, putting that to one side, European Americans make up the majority of the population and government......so what happened? Why are you blaming immigrants and 'ethnics', when they aren't (and never have been) the ones calling the shots in the US?

Yes they came and conquered. I never said they were nice about it. I won't respond to your second paragraph, because I largely did not say that, and it would be pointless anyway. It'd be a useless way to spend my time.
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Yes they came and conquered. I never said they were nice about it.I won't respond to your second paragraph, because I largely did not say that, and it would be pointless anyway. It'd be a useless way to spend my time.

Sure. Sure.

But as I said, putting that to one side, European Americans make up the majority of the population and government......so what happened? Why are you blaming immigrants and 'ethnics', when they aren't (and never have been) the ones calling the shots in the US?

America used to be the greatest nation on Earth. From the 1940s until perhaps the 90s, and especially in the 50s where other countries could only envy what it had. Now it's major cities are increasingly crime ridden ethnic ghettos, feminism is widespread and immigration is out of control. It's a shadow of its former self but still one the best countries.

You can own guns, own large plots of land, and make it big if you know how to play your cards. Maybe I'll move there one day.
Sure. Sure.

Whatever, boyo.
Whatever, boyo.

Pus*ied out I see. :biggrin:
I feel like people are confusing best and great.*

The USA is indisputably the greatest country on Earth at the moment. It's the most economically, politically, militarily and culturally powerful and influential country on the planet.

Nicest place to live? Irrelevant to greatness.

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain #IronicHashtags
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wahrheit
I feel like people are confusing best and great.*

The USA is indisputably the greatest country on Earth at the moment. It's the most economically, politically and militarily powerful and influential country on the planet.

Nicest place to live? Irrelevant to greatness.

#MakeAmericaGreatAgain #IronicHashtags

I believe China technically has a bigger economy than the US now.

Politically.....well the great US system threw Bernie out and left Trump and Clinton as candidates.....

This is interesting. Is the US military really powerful enough any more? Sure, on paper, but there have been technological advances from other countries even US defence experts admit have reduced their previously greatest advantages. Would the US be able to beat a now much more powerful China? I've read articles where US Army generals have said they would really struggle against Russia in the event of aggression, due to budget/troop cuts and dated equipment not being replaced. Would it even dare take on a nuclear armed state?

Definitely still the most influential country though. Hollywood, Music, Pop culture. Undeniable.

Though I think having the nicest place to live is kinda important to greatness.
Pus*ied out I see. :biggrin:

A real pussy is someone who is too scared to fight in real life, not someone who doesn't debates dumbos on a forum, boyo.
I believe China technically has a bigger economy than the US now.

Politically.....well the great US system threw Bernie out and left Trump and Clinton as candidates.....

This is interesting. Is the US military really powerful enough any more? Sure, on paper, but there have been technological advances from other countries even US defence experts admit have reduced their previously greatest advantages. Would the US be able to beat a now much more powerful China? I've read articles where US Army generals have said they would really struggle against Russia in the event of aggression, due to budget/troop cuts and dated equipment not being replaced. Would it even dare take on a nuclear armed state?

Definitely still the most influential country though. Hollywood, Music, Pop culture. Undeniable.

Though I think having the nicest place to live is kinda important to greatness.

US economy is still just under twice as big as China (nominal GDP) and also the US dollar is by far the most important currency in the world. Their global connectivity economically and also the level of technological innovation also contribute hugely to their economic strength.*

Their political system is flawed, but on the world stage they have the most political power. The US is the most powerful ally of countless countries and they have huge political sway.*

In the nuclear age, a war between any nuclear powers yields no winner. But in terms of how quickly a country can dismantle a smaller country, the US wins without contest. Their military expenditure is in an entirely different league when compared to other countries. Their naval superiority is unquestionable, with over half the world's aircraft carriers last I checked. Interestingly they don't have the best tech in all military areas though; for example, the US hellfire missile is a definite step-down from the UK's Brimstone. They have missiles and personnel stationed all over the world though, and at the press of a button could mobilise like no other country. Their military is honestly comparable more with the entirety of the rest of the world put together than it is with any one other nation.*

Great has subjective meaning to be sure, but I think global importance has to be a much more important factor than just niceness. San Marino might be a nice country, but it's clearly not in the conversation when talking about great countries of the world, for example.*
Nah :h:
I'd normally come in and be laughing my arse off, but Britain is hardly a brilliant country atm. Half our nation are morons, for a start...
They're the current leaders in science, medicine and technology, the three pillars of the human race. So yes, they still are the greatest country in the world.
A real pussy is someone who is too scared to fight in real life, not someone who doesn't debates dumbos on a forum, boyo.

Whoa! We got an internet toughguy here! Well step up, boy!

And by the way, you're clearly the dumbo if you can't even remember what you wrote four posts ago.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wahrheit
US economy is still just under twice as big as China (nominal GDP) and also the US dollar is by far the most important currency in the world. Their global connectivity economically and also the level of technological innovation also contribute hugely to their economic strength.*

Their political system is flawed, but on the world stage they have the most political power. The US is the most powerful ally of countless countries and they have huge political sway.*

In the nuclear age, a war between any nuclear powers yields no winner. But in terms of how quickly a country can dismantle a smaller country, the US wins without contest. Their military expenditure is in an entirely different league when compared to other countries. Their naval superiority is unquestionable, with over half the world's aircraft carriers last I checked. Interestingly they don't have the best tech in all military areas though; for example, the US hellfire missile is a definite step-down from the UK's Brimstone. They have missiles and personnel stationed all over the world though, and at the press of a button could mobilise like no other country. Their military is honestly comparable more with the entirety of the rest of the world put together than it is with any one other nation.*

Great has subjective meaning to be sure, but I think global importance has to be a much more important factor than just niceness. San Marino might be a nice country, but it's clearly not in the conversation when talking about great countries of the world, for example.*

Well there's a whole other debate over which is more applicable, nominal or PPP GDP. I can't quite bring myself to make the effort over that debate, so we'll just agree to disagree. It's true that the dominance of the US dollar gives the US a huge amount of influence in the global economy....but.....it's a double edged sword since it's pretty much inevitable that the US dollar will not remain the sole reserve currency forever (already many nations are starting to diversity with the yuan, including the UK), and when it loses that status, the US's interest rate shoots up....and when you look at their debt.....not a good thing.

The US is definitely at the forefront of technological innovation....right now. But officially China overtook the US in patent applications a few years ago, and the trend going forward is that while the US will continue to be a major innovator without doubt, it will certainly have competitors it did not have 15 years ago.

Yeah, it's true that the US exerts a tremendous influence on other countries in diplomatic relations, especially with allies. That's undeniably true.

Not too sure the ability to 'dismantle a smaller country' is the best yardstick to measure the US's military strength. Ultimately those smaller countries are not going to be the major threats/challenges to US authority, influence and prosperity. It's the US's ability to fight the bigger boys that matters. And looking at recent developments, such as the Chinese submarine that literally surfaced right in front of one of the US's supercarriers, with neither it, nor its support vessels technology being able to detect it, in a clear signal that if there had been a state of war, that submarine would have sunk the carrier, I think US power projection is not unchallenged anymore. It's telling that when the Russian's deployed their S400 systems in Syria (the West has no equivalent system by the way), the US pulled its fighters, including the F22 out of the airspace now dominated by the Russians, and even admitted that Russian anti air and electronic warfare systems deployed in Syria were far more advanced that they expected. Now imagine if the Russians sold those technologies to those smaller countries. What would that do to the US's ability to project power?

I do think the standard of living at home is an important tool for projecting influence abroad. For example during the Cold War the Soviet Union was a vast and powerful state....that not many people wanted to move to. In contrast, the US had a superior standard of living and culture to the Soviets and that arguably was what won them the Cold War (increased exposure to the US standard of living led many Russians to demand the same, which led to the reforms that ultimately brought down the communist regime).
(edited 7 years ago)
Whoa! We got an internet toughguy here! Well step up, boy!

And by the way, you're clearly the dumbo if you can't even remember what you wrote four posts ago.

Keep crying, boyo.
Keep crying, boyo.

Weak effort from a weak little man.
Assuming America was ever great, we can rest assured that it will not be if Clinton wins. Then again.... Trump....isnt the ideal choice either, to say the least.

The United States have an extraordinarilly good mentality when it comes to personal freedom and entrepreneurship. It is found nowhere else in the world. However, the US has one of the worst healthcare and education systems of any Western country, and that is what pulls America down.
(edited 7 years ago)
Weak effort from a weak little man.

I just can't be bothered arguing when it leads to nothing. A popular saying - don't argue with idiots or they bring you down to their level.

I have no intention of going down to your level. Hence I'll be taking care of other, more productive things, boyo.
I just can't be bothered arguing when it leads to nothing. A popular saying - don't argue with idiots or they bring you down to their level.

I have no intention of going down to your level. Hence I'll be taking care of other, more productive things, boyo.

Sure Sure. I'm sure it has nothing to do with that fact that you contradicted yourself in your own (racist) posts and got caught out. Then tried to cover it with threats of a real fight that you'd be incapable of carrying out.

Yeah...you're clearly not an idiot at all. I'll let you go ahead and do more productive things....like grow a pair.
To make America great again you revert to Grand Union Flags.
America used to be the greatest nation on Earth. From the 1940s until perhaps the 90s, and especially in the 50s where other countries could only envy what it had. Now it's major cities are increasingly crime ridden ethnic ghettos, feminism is widespread and immigration is out of control. It's a shadow of its former self but still one the best countries.

You can own guns, own large plots of land, and make it big if you know how to play your cards. Maybe I'll move there one day.

Crime ridden ethnic ghettos???? FBI statistics: gun violence, across the board, down almost in half the last 40yrs. and dropping. All violent crime down 50% in the same time period.

Widespread feminism---This can be good or this can be bad. May as well make the most of it.

Immigration out of control-----Enter President Trump.

Shadow of it's former self. Even the combined E.U. was two trillion behind us. That's after being screwed in trade deals, sending EVERY country, with a few exceptions, a welfare check every year, including the Brits, and footing half the bill for Europes defense. When Trump takes office all this charity gonna stop . I'd start banking a little cash.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending