The Student Room Group

AQA A Level English Language and Literature - Non-exam material 2016

Hi all,

Don't know if anyone knows about this but for AQA English Language and Literature for A Level, you need to do a piece of coursework which compares a literary text and non literary text - see the link below for an example of what I'm on about.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-7707-NEA-EX.PDF

Our English teacher wants us to have all of this coursework done by September but she hasn't told us ANYTHING about it - no help or anything! If anyone knows anything about this that may help me, please can you send me a message on here because I'm desperate and can't get hold of my English teacher and no one in my class knows what to do either.

Thank you
Please people - I'm desperate! If anyone has any ideas, please can you let me know! I can't even find a non-literary piece!
Original post by jack_cooper10
Hi all,

Don't know if anyone knows about this but for AQA English Language and Literature for A Level, you need to do a piece of coursework which compares a literary text and non literary text - see the link below for an example of what I'm on about.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-7707-NEA-EX.PDF

Our English teacher wants us to have all of this coursework done by September but she hasn't told us ANYTHING about it - no help or anything! If anyone knows anything about this that may help me, please can you send me a message on here because I'm desperate and can't get hold of my English teacher and no one in my class knows what to do either.

Thank you

What do you need help with?

As far as what it looks like, the coursework is all about stylistics which is basically linguistics in literature (looking at how language is used in literary work).

Find a fictional prose that you wish to focus on; look at a theme. For example, that link looks as the theme of the power of language. There is a similar theme to Lolita. This is a controversial 20th modern classic that explores the taboo concept of pedophilia. If you were interested in that, you could compare court transcripts relating to something similar like: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/child-abuse-settlements.php

But do you see what I mean? I'll take a less extreme approach. Maybe you like crime or detective work? I'm not sure if you're allowed to compare fiction prose and non-fiction prose? If you are, how about doing something like "An investigation to the usage of questioning through dialogue with suspects/criminals". You could look into the great non-fiction In Cold Blood by Truman Capotee (Breakfast at Tiffany's) and compare this with novels like Lady Audley's Secret or The Moonstone. If you want contemporary novels stuff from Iain Banks or Mark Billingham write some fantastic crime/detective novels!
This will be mainly focusing on dialogue and spoken linguistic characteristics which is of course your linguistic focus. Then making literary connections through comparing your texts.

Find the spec on AQA and look at the mark scheme as the requirements of what you need to do.

Maybe your teacher has just told you to find your texts, read them and make notes. Rather than to go off and do the coursework. There is no way you can do the coursework over summer without any support or supervision anyway. So I think (I hope) your teacher just means to make sure you have your texts and get to work by reading them and making notes/transcribing if need be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending