- join debating society and participate in debating
- join some finance society and get a position
- get a job (8 hours)
- apply for placement years and summer internships
on top of being a
-social sec
-and an editor
- working towards a 2.1//1

obvs ill decrease in partying- but would this be too much?
Original post by Iwouldliketoknow
so my plan is to rejoin a:
-sports society
- get a job (8 hours)
on top of being a
-social sec
-and an editor

Do you mean a position on the society committee? It's highly unlikely you'll get a position in your first year of joining the committee. I don't think it sounds like too much though, I've had a very similar schedule throughout uni and I've maintained first class grades for every single class this year and for 6/8 classes last year. Hoping to get all firsts in my final year too.
Hmm it is quite a bit...How did you cope with your sport in first year? If it was a breeze then you should be fine adding some of those to your activities but if you felt overwhelmed then I wouldn't do any extra societies. Don't decrease the partying, you need time to let your hair down too.

In comparison to when I was at uni in third year I had ultimate frisbee, film society, video game writer, volunteering 5-6 hours a week and I got a first. If you're good at organising your time and you're a good student I'd say go for it (but probably don't do all of those).
-sports society
- get a job (8 hours)
on top of being a
-social sec
-and an editor

Hello :smile:

I believe in situations like this, it's down to the person at hand. If you feel like you can handle it and you've done similar things before like it, then give it ago. The worst you'll have to do is drop out of a couple of societies to focus on work.
It sounds like you have a plan and that you're passionate about these things so I don't see the harm in giving it ago.

Personally, I think it sounds like a lot to take on for your second year but if you think you can do it and plan it out well and leave time for studying etc - I don't see why not!
probably depends a bit on your course, if you're doing a STEM course with 25 contact hours it's going to be much harder than english with 5 contact hours!

personally I think we can generally fit in a lot more than we think if you're careful with time management and happy to get up early and be constantly on the move but that does sound a lot... perhaps start off trying to do it all but have a plan for what you would give up if you need to?

I mean you already do sports so know how much time you need there, I'd imagine debating would not require a weekly participation if you were tight on time and you could probably just attend debates you were interested in, there's no actual guarantee of getting a job although that might be tough as you'd probably have to take the hours you were given, applying for placements can fit in as and when just like studying, the issue you will have is taking on too much things which take place in specific time slots as then they are likely to clash
Original post by doodle_333
probably depends a bit on your course, if you're doing a STEM course with 25 contact hours it's going to be much harder than english with 5 contact hours!

personally I think we can generally fit in a lot more than we think if you're careful with time management and happy to get up early and be constantly on the move but that does sound a lot... perhaps start off trying to do it all but have a plan for what you would give up if you need to?

I mean you already do sports so know how much time you need there, I'd imagine debating would not require a weekly participation if you were tight on time and you could probably just attend debates you were interested in, there's no actual guarantee of getting a job although that might be tough as you'd probably have to take the hours you were given, applying for placements can fit in as and when just like studying, the issue you will have is taking on too much things which take place in specific time slots as then they are likely to clash

We do 20 hours of reading though. Such a stereotype :frown:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
We do 20 hours of reading though. Such a stereotype :frown:

I wasn't referring to workload as I said later in the post it's about fitting stuff in, if you have 25 scheduled hours it's much harder to fit things in whereas if you have 5 you have much more freedom to structure your day efficiently, less time wasted travelling and you can be a bit more selective/efficient about the work you do do
Original post by doodle_333
I wasn't referring to workload as I said later in the post it's about fitting stuff in, if you have 25 scheduled hours it's much harder to fit things in whereas if you have 5 you have much more freedom to structure your day efficiently, less time wasted travelling and you can be a bit more selective/efficient about the work you do do

Uh-huh. I was just playing:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
-sports society
- get a job (8 hours)
on top of being a
-social sec
-and an editor

Not really to be honest? I'm in 9-5 everyday pretty much and I do the equivalent of that list and still have time left over to chill :smile:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Uh-huh. I was just playing:tongue:

haha, I feel you though I did psychology so a few more contact hours but still single figures!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending