The Student Room Group

WOMEN - How do you get rid of your upper lip hair?

I get them threaded at the salon. But it is a fair amount of money I've realised I'm wasting when I could potentially do it by myself at home. But that thought is scary.I might think about buying a facial epilator but I don't know if they are any good. Also does threading make my upper lip darker? Thoughts on your method of removing hair?

Scroll to see replies

Not a woman, but a cut-throat razor. Very good. Works every time.
Original post by ABC.123.
I get them threaded at the salon. But it is a fair amount of money I've realised I'm wasting when I could potentially do it by myself at home. But that thought is scary.I might think about buying a facial epilator but I don't know if they are any good. Also does threading make my upper lip darker? Thoughts on your method of removing hair?

well, i just shave my upper lip hair, as i find it much more easier to do, some people tend to wax their upper lip hair so thats an alternative :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Shipreck
Not a woman, but a cut-throat razor. Very good. Works every time.

Yeh? You do that to your moustache :tongue:

Original post by x-bhakti-patel
well, i just shave my upper lip hair, as i find it much more easier to do, some people tend to wax their upper lip hair so thats an alternative :smile:

Whhhaaat. Surely, shaving is bad as it will just make it grow back darker? Waxing hurts and apparently is not good for the face. And I'm not sure but apparently threading leads to thicker hair?

A facial epilator is going to be unbearably painful. I use NAIR's facial hair removing cream (you can do a patch test 48 hours prior to using) and you just wipe it off after 5 minutes. It lasts 2-3 weeks - or alternatively I wax. I hate getting anything threaded because the lady always ends up cutting my skin. I get my eyebrows waxed too because it makes my eyebrows so sharp and defined. And don't shave your face, you don't want a stubble? Lol

I wouldn't recommend using hair removal cream downthere though because it can burn and be irritating. I wax down there too. And epilate or wax my legs and arms. I make my own wax at home and you can buy a decent epilator from Boots for £50-80. Also, shaving irritates me as well and is itchy as hell. I never shave.

In summary:
Waxing (upper lip, eyebrows, legs, arms, and/or down there if you have a high pain tolerance)
Epilating (arms, legs)
Shaving (never)
Threading (never, takes ages, grows back quick)
Hair removal cream (upper lip)
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeh? You do that to your moustache :tongue:

Whhhaaat. Surely, shaving is bad as it will just make it grow back darker? Waxing hurts and apparently is not good for the face. And I'm not sure but apparently threading leads to thicker hair?

no, i dont think it does, if u need any help about shaving ur upper lip, use this website it will help u a lot,

http://www.livestrong.com/article/206400-the-best-way-to-get-rid-of-dark-thick-upper-lip-hair/

Im 99% sure it's not shaving or threading that causes darker or thicker hair. Facial hair generally gets darker as you age, so cutting away the lighter hair will make it appear to grow darker, when it was actually just growing that color before but you couldn't see it because of the lighter hair further up. Cutting facial hair also doesn't increase the amount of hair follicles you have. It's a myth.

"Whenever scientists put this to the test, they find that hair regrowth is in no way affected by shaving, or any other type of hair removal."

http://www.sciencealert.com/does-hair-really-grow-back-thicker-and-darker-after-shaving
Reply 7
Original post by sameehaiqbal
A facial epilator is going to be unbearably painful. I use NAIR's facial hair removing cream (you can do a patch test 48 hours prior to using) and you just wipe it off after 5 minutes. It lasts 2-3 weeks - or alternatively I wax. I hate getting anything threaded because the lady always ends up cutting my skin. I get my eyebrows waxed too because it makes my eyebrows so sharp and defined. And don't shave your face, you don't want a stubble? Lol

Have you tried it before then? I'm a bit sceptical about hair removal creams as they have chemicals in them. Have you tried getting it threaded at a different place, she doesn't sound that good of a beautician. Yes, I will steer clear of shaving.

no, i dont think it does, if u need any help about shaving ur upper lip, use this website it will help u a lot,

http://www.livestrong.com/article/206400-the-best-way-to-get-rid-of-dark-thick-upper-lip-hair/

I cant bear the thought of shaving as it just sounds so manly :dontknow:
Have you tried it before then? I'm a bit sceptical about hair removal creams as they have chemicals in them. Have you tried getting it threaded at a different place, she doesn't sound that good of a beautician. Yes, I will steer clear of shaving.

Yes I have a facial epilator, it came with my normal epilator and it's REALLY painful. Unless you have a high pain tolerance I wouldn't recommend it. You can make your own wax at home from home made ingredients and simply cut up an old t-shirt from Primark/or any old cloth you have lying around and use that to wax your upper lip hair if you are skeptical about using hair removal cream (understandable). It saves you £10 and you don't need to faff around with thread either. Shaving will give you stubble. Whereas waxing is over and done with in over a minute.

When you're feeling brave you can wax your legs as well and arms etc and save yourself so much money. It's really great. Don't bother with Veet as the wax and wax strips aren't that great to be honest.
(edited 7 years ago)

U dont have to im sorry i didnt really explain properly on the website there are other methods other than shaving which u could use if u wanted to get rid of upper lip hair :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Shipreck
Im 99% sure it's not shaving or threading that causes darker or thicker hair. Facial hair generally gets darker as you age, so cutting away the lighter hair will make it appear to grow darker, when it was actually just growing that color before but you couldn't see it because of the lighter hair further up. Cutting facial hair also doesn't increase the amount of hair follicles you have. It's a myth.

"Whenever scientists put this to the test, they find that hair regrowth is in no way affected by shaving, or any other type of hair removal."

http://www.sciencealert.com/does-hair-really-grow-back-thicker-and-darker-after-shaving
Nah my mums upper lip hair is hardly visible. In fact she doesn't even have to do anything else to it. I don't think it gets darker as you age. I think if you don't pull it out from the root when you thread it becomes darker? As for shaving - I haven't got a clue. But the thought of putting a razor to my face :eek:
I've been shaving my upper lip for years. It was the only option I had access to during high school (I've just finished uni) and so I've stuck with it.

When I get my face threaded every few months my upper lip grows back so fast anyway. Also, there was a time that i tried facial hair removal cream and it gave me a chemical looking burn as I left it on too long - not worth it.

Shaving is so qiuck and easy every 3-4 days.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been shaving my upper lip for years. It was the only option I had access to during high school (I've just finished uni) and so I've stuck with it.

When I get my face threaded every few months my upper lip grows back so fast anyway. Also, there was a time that i tried facial hair removal cream and it gave me a chemical looking burn as I left it on too long - not worth it.

You're not meant to leave it on for more than 3-5 minutes. If you use hair removal creams the right way, they do work really well. Also, you're supposed to do a patch test 48 hours before using it so you can see if you have an adverse reaction. If your skin doesn't like it then that's a different story obviously :smile:
Reply 13
Yes I have a facial epilator, it came with my normal epilator and it's REALLY painful. Unless you have a high pain tolerance I wouldn't recommend it. You can make your own wax at home from home made ingredients and simply cut up an old t-shirt from Primark/or any old cloth you have lying around and use that to wax your upper lip hair if you are skeptical about using hair removal cream (understandable). It saves you £10 and you don't need to faff around with thread either. Shaving will give you stubble. Whereas waxing is over and done with in over a minute.

When you're feeling brave you can wax your legs as well and arms etc and save yourself so much money. It's really great. Don't bother with Veet as the wax and wax strips aren't that great to be honest.

All methods seem to have disadvantages... How do you make your own wax? I might try it. I've never waxed before.
Reply 14
U dont have to im sorry i didnt really explain properly on the website there are other methods other than shaving which u could use if u wanted to get rid of upper lip hair :smile:

Oh I see. It's just that I'd never heard of anyone shaving their facial hair before - so was quite shocked.

When you shave does it come back as stubbly on your skin?
Oh I see. It's just that I'd never heard of anyone shaving their facial hair before - so was quite shocked.

yh, it must be a old method as hardly anyone uses it anymore :smile:
All methods seem to have disadvantages... How do you make your own wax? I might try it. I've never waxed before.

1 cup (250ml) granulated sugar

1 cup (250ml) honey

1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon juice

1 tablespoon water (optional)

Melt the sugar. In a medium-heavy saucepan, add the sugar and cook over medium-high heat, without stirring—just an occasional swirl of the pan—until the sugar begins to caramelize. A plus side is it will make your house smell like sweets haha.

Stir in the honey and lemon juice with a wooden spoon. Be careful: the sugar will be very foamy, and very hot.

Continue stirring until the mixture has melted and has the consistency of pancake batter. If the mixture is too thick, add water 1 tablespoon at a time until you have the right consistency. Finally, pour into a jar.

Let the wax cool slightly before you use it. If you want to use it later, let it cool, then refrigerate it. When you want to use it again, simply pop jar back into microwave and microwave until it's soft consistency.

This method of waxing is much gentler on your skin than using pre-made wax strips or wax from veet as they also have chemicals in it etc. I usually use any old cloth and use a lolly stick to apply warm wax on the skin and then place the cloth on top and wax the hair off.

Obviously it's going to hurt. But if you think about it, it only lasts 3 seconds and it's over and done with in one strip. Then it will sting a little bit (normal with all types of hair removing) and you simply get some baby oil on a cotton wool and wipe your upper lip to remove remnants of wax. Then simply put some fragrance free lotion on top and let it relax. This lasts 3 weeks before you need to do it again. :smile: Making the wax is the worst part but when you have a huge jar full of it it's gonna last you aaaages and think of all the money you'll save!

If you still don't understand how to make it you can just go on youtube and watch it, it's pretty self explanatory. Just be careful not to burn yourself. Let the wax cool for 30 minutes to an hour before using it.
(edited 7 years ago)
When you shave does it come back as stubbly on your skin?

It's smooth when I shave it and then when it starts growing back the hair is quite prickly but I shave it every 3-4 days in like 2 mins after I brush my teeth, it's effortless to me.

I put some concealer there as well before foundation. There are loads of vids on YT of ladies who shave their face
You're not meant to leave it on for more than 3-5 minutes. If you use hair removal creams the right way, they do work really well. Also, you're supposed to do a patch test 48 hours before using it so you can see if you have an adverse reaction. If your skin doesn't like it then that's a different story obviously :smile:

Yeah, I did it wrong oops
I bought some face waxing strips recently, but honestly the residue it leaves is so much hassle
Shaving is the most convenient for my upper lip at least

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending