The Student Room Group

Biology Undergraduate

Hey I really need help. I really want to study biology but my parents are pushing for nursing. Can anyone help me with pros and cons of doing a biology degree??

Thank you so much!!! :smile:*
Original post by SunRiseAtDawn
x

Mean as this might sound but if you cannot identify the positives to studying for a degree in Biology, it is not for you. We study different degrees for different reasons; my reasons will be different to your and every other students.
Original post by phaseshift
Mean as this might sound but if you cannot identify the positives to studying for a degree in Biology, it is not for you. We study different degrees for different reasons; my reasons will be different to your and every other students.

as I said before I want to study it. I can think of 50 pros and cons but I've never done it as a degree so I wouldn't know if some of the cons I shouldn't *actually worry about or some of the pros aren't true. Like they say 98% employability, is that true!? Do biology graduates actually go into biology?? Or is it a wasted degree? I have no idea because I've never done it so it would be nice of someone to say, hey the pros defo outweigh the cons, go for it! Or actually it's super hard and not many jobs, I'd think harder. So that I can actually make an informed decision. In an ideal world biology is what I really want to do but is it worth it. I'm too practical to spend so much money on a degree im not sure I'm going to get anything out of, even if I would be the degree I enjoyed the most*
as I said before I want to study it. I can think of 50 pros and cons but I've never done it as a degree so I wouldn't know if some of the cons I shouldn't *actually worry about or some of the pros aren't true. Like they say 98% employability, is that true!? Do biology graduates actually go into biology?? Or is it a wasted degree? I have no idea because I've never done it so it would be nice of someone to say, hey the pros defo outweigh the cons, go for it! Or actually it's super hard and not many jobs, I'd think harder. So that I can actually make an informed decision. In an ideal world biology is what I really want to do but is it worth it. I'm too practical to spend so much money on a degree im not sure I'm going to get anything out of, even if I would be the degree I enjoyed the most*

Im no expert, but it's a difficult degree and carries a lot of merit. If you enjoy it, you should do it. You could make the same argument that nursing restricts you to that area, i.e. nurse, paramedic, midwife - so if you later decide you don't want to go into that, you're screwed.
Hey I really need help. I really want to study biology but my parents are pushing for nursing. Can anyone help me with pros and cons of doing a biology degree??

Just do nursing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maggie43
Just do nursing

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbf when you put it like that..

Biology degree
+ Probably more respected
+ Wider array of jobs
+ Access to cutting edge equipment
+ (Generally) higher starting salary

- Though starting salary may be fairly good, it doesn't really increase all that much throughout. You'll probably make £40,000 at the age 40, starting from around £25,000 with a MSci/MBiol.
- Seen as the "Micky Mouse" science when compared to Chemistry and Physics.
- Though it has a wide array of jobs, the top paying jobs, such as being a lecturer, are extremely difficult to get into. Generally speaking, if you don't see yourself being an academic/researcher, you won't gain all that much financially.

Nursing
+ 100% graduate employment (at some universities it's 99%)
+ Better job security
+ Nice and steady salary rise throughout your career. Can even reach around £60,000 if you're a senior nurse and work overtime.
+ The empowering feeling of helping those struggling in their lives

- (Generally) lower starting salary
- Treated like **** by some consultant surgeons/physicians
-Have to do some very disgusting tasks, as I'm sure you're aware.
- Can become very stressful, given the obvious nature of the job

I'd probably choose nursing, if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending