The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Romanoff
Humans are herbivores. We're not meant to eat animals. Do your research and make the link between the ethics, environmental and the destructive health effects of meat, dairy and egg consumption. Here's a good channel to help you make this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGJq0eQZoFSwgcqgxIE9MHw/videos

We're omnivorous, not herbivorous. Why do vegetarians keep spouting this ridiculous idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We're not meant to do anything. The whole thing about us being humans and better than animals and all that is that we have overcome our animal instincts, and we only do what's rational. I don't think we were meant to discover quantum mechanics and play Pokemon Go, but there you go.
Original post by !!mentor!!
As a geology undergrad from Cambridge I think that I am uniquely qualified to weigh in here. Studies have shown that plants do indeed feel something when they are injured. See link provided:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGLABm7jJ-Y

Armed with this information, why would you torture plants to satisfy your hunger when it is proven that animals don't suffer when we use them for meat.

I know this is satire but if plants feel pain and they have no brain (no dorsal posterior insula equivalent) and no central nervous, just imagine what animals are subjected to without any remorse!

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
We're omnivorous, not herbivorous. Why do vegetarians keep spouting this ridiculous idea?

Yes because you saying this is definitely going to make it true, I suggest you take a look at the scientific and evolutionary facts. We were not designed to hunt nor eat meat. Just because we cook and eat them in small digestible forms does not make us omnivores. Although, if you can catch a cow and tear it up with your claws and digest your accomplishment using your HIGHLY acidic stomach and digestive juices, then you're right, we must be omnivores.
(edited 7 years ago)
Did you just say neanderthals and homo sapiens ate each other? Im pretty sure thats not true.They definitelty interbred and humans probably contributed to neanderthals extinction but im pretty sure they didnt eat each other.
I know this is satire but if plants feel pain and they have no brain (no dorsal posterior insula equivalent) and no central nervous, just imagine what animals are subjected to without any remorse!

Yes because you saying this is definitely going to make it true, I suggest you take a look at the scientific and evolutionary facts. We were not designed to hunt nor eat meat. Just because we cook and eat them in small digestible forms does not make us omnivores. Although, if you can catch a cow and tear it up with your claws and digest your accomplishment using your HIGHLY acidic stomach and digestive juices, then you're right, we must be omnivores.

The fact that it's true makes it true. Our physiology is not that of a herbivore - we lack a number of specific adaptations for that, the ability to digest cellulose for one. Nor is it that of a carnivore - we are opportunistic omnivores; historically a predominately plant/fruit based diet with the addition of meat whenever it was available, much like our closest relatives chimpanzees and gorillas, who have been observed to eat small mammals or other primates.

As for your nonsense at the end - claws do not make a carnivore, and our lack of them doesn't make us herbivorous; our adaptation is our intellect and ability to use tools to hunt. Stomach acid is hydrochloric acid, a strong acid and activates protein digesting enzymes so your flippant sarcasm back fires.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're the one who should look up the facts.We dont need claws because evoloution favoured the development of big brains which means we could uses tools.Humans are almost perfectly designed for hunting hence why we're such good long distance runners.We have longer legs in comparison to most apes and we have little body hair so that we can run long distances without tiring.We're also highly social which makes is perfect for communicating with each other about where prey is kind of similar to a pack of wolves.
Reply 86
Original post by pilock
Why does it have to be cooked?

If humans are meant to eat meat- then why can they survive without eating meat and still be healthy?

Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you are meant to do it. Just because you were born into a society were something is the norm- it doesn't mean it was meant to be that way. Just because something has been happening for thousands of years it doesn't mean it has to continue happening. All these arguments that are made for meat is weak.

Eating meat is not healthy.
14 of the 15 leading causes of death can be prevented through a plant based diet. There's doctor's curing heart disease with a whole foods veg diet. Check our Dr. Michael Greger and Dr. John McDougall.

https://youtu.be/y2k4NHjAP84 from 1:38.
The entire video is less than 5 minutes.
Steak tartare is unbelievably nice. Although when I've had it, it's been the exceptionally thin slices and not the mince version.
Reply 88
Original post by Robby2312
You're the one who should look up the facts.We dont need claws because evoloution favoured the development of big brains which means we could uses tools.Humans are almost perfectly designed for hunting hence why we're such good long distance runners.We have longer legs in comparison to most apes and we have little body hair so that we can run long distances without tiring.We're also highly social which makes is perfect for communicating with each other about where prey is kind of similar to a pack of wolves.

So the way you're talking, we should be running around in our caves, then going out and hunting, bringing home a dead body to feed our family etc.

Our bodies aren't designed to consume flesh. From our teeth (we cant go out and bite into a squirrel), our intestine's are much longer than carnivores and omnivores, which is why meat takes up to 2 days to pass. There's many more apsects i havent covered, you can look for yourself online.

Just because we did something for our survival, it doesnt mean we should continue to do so.
Reply 89
Original post by Robby2312
Humans are most definitely not herbivores.Humans do have canine teeth but they're not as pronounced because they dont need to be because we cook our food.Tigers have such massive canines because they need to use them for ripping and tearing humans dont.Also you assume that animals dont have problems eating meat they do.They can get parasites but they eat their food immediately whilst we store raw meat for long periods of time.Hence we need to cook it because its more dangerous to eat.If we were herbivores we wouldnt even like the taste of meat.

Go outside and bite into a squirrel. Let's see those 'canines' in action.
Do we really like the taste of flesh? Is that why we season it, why dont we eat it raw
Reply 90
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
No, you wouldn't. Eating raw meat is fine - so long as it fills a specific set of conditions. The problem with sickness from eating raw meat isn't that it's raw, it's that it's harbouring bacteria because of a combination of the animals diet, agricultural practices and the time taken from slaughterhouse to plate. If we were to eat raw meat like most carnivores do - to kill and eat immediately, we'd be fine. Similarly if a lot of carnivores were to scavenge (eating old meat like we do for convenience), they'd be quite ill, because they aren't scavengers.

Go eat a raw stake then and video it.
Reply 91
Original post by Sternumator
What does "meant" even mean? Do you mean our creator meant it that way? If you don't believe in a creator then I don't think it means anything really.

From an evolutionary perspective, which you seem to be taking with the raw meat argument, humans have definitely evolved to eat meat. Before farming, which makes up the bulk of our evolutionary history, there wouldn't have been enough plants around to get the protein humans need. But does that me we are meant to eat it? Again, meant by who? A creator?

But I agree that now we don't need to eat meat because through farming we have developed substitutes for protein that our ancestors could have only got from meats.

I agree this type of argument is a weak one in favour of meat. I'm a proud meat eater and I know I am killing animals for my own pleasure when I eat meat. Don't try to make excuses fellow meat eaters. Meat tastes good and that is enough.

My point is that people say we are meant to eat meat like you need to do it for survival and humans were born to eat meat. No they weren't. Humans just decided to eat meat because they can.
Reply 92
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
So you are saying, that you are disputing the argument that 'humans are intended to eat meat'.

That's pointless af

I am saying humans dont need to eat meat. There is no MEANT about it.
Original post by Lola-lo
So the way you're talking, we should be running around in our caves, then going out and hunting, bringing home a dead body to feed our family etc.

Our bodies aren't designed to consume flesh. From our teeth (we cant go out and bite into a squirrel), our intestine's are much longer than carnivores and omnivores, which is why meat takes up to 2 days to pass. There's many more apsects i havent covered, you can look for yourself online.

Just because we did something for our survival, it doesnt mean we should continue to do so.

Nonsense - our digestive system is equipped for consuming meat, plants, fruits and nuts. The teeth stuff is ridiculous since a) we have canines, b) our teeth are not like carnivores or herbivores and c) teeth doesn't determine diet - look for instance at a pandas teeth and the diet it has.

Any citation for the 2 days claim? And as omnivores our intestines are not longer that omnivores. Longer than carnivores? Yes. Shorter than herbivores? Also yes. We're intermediary in that respect, and in the length of digestion (like you'd expect of an omnivorous species).

Which aspects? Are you referring to that ridiculous meme comparing carnivores, herbivores, frutivores, humans and "omnivores" (selectively using bears for omnivores to tilt them towards carnivores) that attempts to imply that humans are frutivores by cherry picking and outright lying? (Not to mention that most commonly regarded frutivores are omnivorous).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
Original post by 1010marina
If it tastes nice and is safe to eat, you can eat whatever the hell you fancy. Stop trying to convince other people they are going against nature. If you were starving you'd eat meat and starving is exactly how we spent a lot of our evolution.

Humans dont need to eat meat. If you use common sense and logic you will find this easily. Sorry I am talking facts here- I know theres a lot of people like you who cant handle facts.
I've never eaten raw meat before (except for sandwich meat, such as ham etc), and tbh I wouldn't want to try it. I'd worry that it would really upset my stomach.
Reply 96
Original post by WoodyMKC
Trollololololololol... or just incredibly stupid???

Are you really suggesting that you wont get ill if you eat raw meat? Its the number one cause of salmonella you fool.
Original post by Lola-lo
Go outside and bite into a squirrel. Let's see those 'canines' in action.
Do we really like the taste of flesh? Is that why we season it, why dont we eat it raw

Our intestines are not as long as true herbivores.We look nothing like herbivores such as cows or horses we look like the great apes like chimps which do eat meat.We probably dont like the taste of raw flesh because evoloution favours humans who dont eat it raw.Because if it did we'd get diseases and die hence evolotion favours humans who cook their food as they're less likely to die and hence reproduce.Anyway I do actually agree that our treatment of animals leaves a lot to be desired.The difference in intelligence between us and the great apes is one of degree not kind.I dont think its correct the way a lot of people view animals as not having feelings as acute as we do.I mean they share the same nervous system and DNA so why shouldnt they feel like we do.But I think if you're going to argue that you should argue without resorting to false arguments like humans are herbivores because thats just not true.
Original post by pilock
Go eat a raw stake then and video it.

Why? Your strange denial of the existence of steak tartare means little. We can and do eat raw meat - something you'd find out quite quickly if you stopped blindly swallowing lies and propaganda. You don't think it's right to eat meat, fair enough, that's a moral decision, but don't try and pretend that eating meat is wrong on a biological level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pilock
Are you really suggesting that you wont get ill if you eat raw meat? Its the number one cause of salmonella you fool.

Because it's incorrectly prepared, poorly reared or not fresh. Go out to Italy and you can get slices of raw steak (carpaccio) which is perfectly safe to eat.

Posted from TSR Mobile