The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJK91
FFS another accidental anonymous. I'm sure I turned that off... anyone know how to keep it off?

Malabsorption in general and poor fat absorption.

So yes vitamin K deficiency.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Newtothis83
Malabsorption in general and poor fat absorption.

So yes vitamin K deficiency.

PRSOM, thanks :smile: One exam down this morning, two to go...
Oh my god three times in a row. I quit. Sorry :P
Original post by MJK91
Oh my god three times in a row. I quit. Sorry :P

Good luck for the last 2 exams! hopefully you can chill out soon :smile:*
Original post by lcsurfer
Good luck for the last 2 exams! hopefully you can chill out soon :smile:*

Thanks! I still feel this SAQ was a bit close for comfort but marginally better than the last. I don't care if I'm bottom of the year, just want to pass!! :smile:

On the upside this post isn't anonymous, so there's that minor success for the day :P
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Is it possible to do a PhD after final year of medicine and then re-enter clinical medicine? :smile:

As in, start FY1 4 years after doing any medicine at all?

Even if its possible its definitely not recommended!
Been taking penicillin 800 mg x 3 daily since Thursday, went to the doc today because I developed a pretty insane rash - guess who's allergic to penicillin now?! I'm going insane here, not starting prednisolone until tomorrow morning so I'll actually be able to sleep tonight... except the itching might take care of that anyway. :frown::frown::frown:
Just seen this thread haha

Original post by ForestCat
You can't unfortunately.

Would be great if you could update to 4th year at Edinburgh, thanks :smile: oh and yeah since other people have degrees to your name, I now have a BMedSci(Hons) :biggrin:
Original post by Ronove
Been taking penicillin 800 mg x 3 daily since Thursday, went to the doc today because I developed a pretty insane rash - guess who's allergic to penicillin now?! I'm going insane here, not starting prednisolone until tomorrow morning so I'll actually be able to sleep tonight... except the itching might take care of that anyway. :frown::frown::frown:

Was the penicillin for a sore throat by any chance?
Reply 109
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Is it possible to do a PhD after final year of medicine and then re-enter clinical medicine? :smile:

Don'ttttt dooooo ittttt!!

Other than the very many arguments against taking 3 years out after you've reached the peak "ready to bolt out of the starting cages and be a doctor" phase, the new "introduced" contract only gives extra credit (i.e. money) to doctors who do a PhD within specialty training. You'll also be less 100% sure about what subject you want to do, and even when you do know (and it's likely to be a clinical subject) you'll have a lot less knowledge to bring to it than if you did it as an ST5 or whatever.
EXAMS DONE!!

Week Friday I'll find out if I'll be starting clinical years in a month or so, or trying to negotiate if I can resit the year...

'til then, booze! :biggrin:
Original post by nexttime
Was the penicillin for a sore throat by any chance?

Suspected cellulitis that was spreading its way across my forehead and down to my orbit. My sore throat feels loads better though, would recommend!
Ooh didn't realise there was a new thread. Could somebody please update me to a 3rd year @ Barts? :smile:
Got back from my Canada / US roadtrip last week. Definitely confirmed in my mind that Canada is the place for me. Thankfully the boyfriend fell in love with the place too..*
Very much looking forward to intercalating this year, determined to be much more productive too. Not looking forward to having January exams for the first time in 4 years though :frown:
Feeling sorry for all the new doctors that have moved around today, lots on the junior doctors Facebook page about trainees being forced to sign new contracts (i.e. You lose your training spot if you don't sign), complete mess with the rotas, and people getting forced to do induction then a night shift back to back.

Can only hope it's not like that when I eventually graduate
Reply 115
Original post by Shengis14
Feeling sorry for all the new doctors that have moved around today, lots on the junior doctors Facebook page about trainees being forced to sign new contracts (i.e. You lose your training spot if you don't sign), complete mess with the rotas, and people getting forced to do induction then a night shift back to back.

Can only hope it's not like that when I eventually graduate

I know people who have had induction followed by 3 days of on-call. Lovely.
Never been so nervous for a results day in my life! Tomorrow midday.

Not that I'm a pessimistic person... lol... but does anyone know what the chances are of being accepted to resit a year without extenuating circumstances? I know a lot of people submitted them after the first sit went badly, but truly I don't have any reasons to use. If I fail it's because I narrowly missed out, fair and square really. That said I don't want to roll over and be forced out if worst comes to worst.

If you're close to the pass mark for resits, is it likely/possible to be able to resit a year?
Original post by MJK91

Not that I'm a pessimistic person... lol... but does anyone know what the chances are of being accepted to resit a year without extenuating circumstances? I know a lot of people submitted them after the first sit went badly, but truly I don't have any reasons to use. If I fail it's because I narrowly missed out, fair and square really. That said I don't want to roll over and be forced out if worst comes to worst.

If you're close to the pass mark for resits, is it likely/possible to be able to resit a year?

Hopefully its just a case of you being overly pessimistic... I've got my fingers crossed for tomorrow!

The thing I hate about my medical school is they expect you to play the game when it comes to resits. They're very unforgiving unless you have some documented excuse (whatever it may be). I would be like you, and not want to make excuses, but my med school doesn't seem to reward you for that.
But my med school is notoriously tough and I don't think many schools are as unforgiving. Hopefully Warwick is a lot fairer about it all. But I hope it doesn't come to that for you.
Original post by MJK91

Sorry, not the most reassuring of posts above but I do think you'll be fine. You put the work in, you know where you went wrong last time.
Original post by ForestCat
Hopefully its just a case of you being overly pessimistic... I've got my fingers crossed for tomorrow!

The thing I hate about my medical school is they expect you to play the game when it comes to resits. They're very unforgiving unless you have some documented excuse (whatever it may be). I would be like you, and not want to make excuses, but my med school doesn't seem to reward you for that.
But my med school is notoriously tough and I don't think many schools are as unforgiving. Hopefully Warwick is a lot fairer about it all. But I hope it doesn't come to that for you.

I'm sure there's some excuse, somewhere in the depths of my personal tutor meetings, that I could use but it just feels like grasping at straws. If someone gets 33% then 35% on resits, but has a mitigating circumstance, why is that necessarily a more competent medical student than someone getting 57% then 55% for example. It seems a bit odd. Kind of wish I'd played the game now and submitted something.

Hopefully tomorrow it won't be necessary! But the closer it gets, the more I forget how it actually went at exam time and the more worried I become haha :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending