The Student Room Group

Once the UK stops taking in muslim migrants and refugees, will rest of Europe follow?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orton6
No matter how many times you say the EU has nothing to do with our migrant and refugee intake, you're wrong.

If the EU has nothing to do with migrant / refugee intake, then why is it that every EU country has huge amounts of migrants and refugees too, whilst countries like Australia, Canada, US, New Zealand etc. don't have these problems.

Use your brain and stop trolling.

You need to say more than I am wrong, try disproving what I have said. You dont give any reasons because basically you dont understand migration, EU agreements or how the asylum system works.

We will still be taking in asylum seekers and refugees after we BREXIT in 3 years time.

Lol@ you failing to understand why there are less migrants going to USA, Canada and Australia. have you looked at a map. maybe its rather more difficult for them to get there than it is to mainland Europe. Most refugees go to neighbouring countries.
Original post by jake4198
Let's put aside the first few comments which are the usual responses to a thread which is seemingly controversial.

The UK has committed to bringing in 20,000 refugees over the term of five years, but a report which came out a few days ago shows the British government is not on track to reaching its afore set target and that the UK hasn't even managed to settle 3,000 people since 2015.

Seemingly controversial? You mean its based on ignorance and a failure to understand how migration, immigration and asylum works.

Have you got a link to this report?

32,414 Applications for asylum in the UK in 2015
↑29.5% Year-on-year increase in asylum applications

3,726Eritrea

2,824Sudan

2,407Iran

2,402Syria

17,665Other

How many refugees does the UK accept? asylum recognition Q3 2015 2,854 Asylum 346 Humanitarian reasons 5,450 Rejected

Reply 22
Original post by 999tigger
You need to say more than I am wrong, try disproving what I have said. You dont give any reasons because basically you dont understand migration, EU agreements or how the asylum system works.

We will still be taking in asylum seekers and refugees after we BREXIT in 3 years time.

Lol@ you failing to understand why there are less migrants going to USA, Canada and Australia. have you looked at a map. maybe its rather more difficult for them to get there than it is to mainland Europe. Most refugees go to neighbouring countries.

If our refugee intake was purely down to world agreements, we would all take in the same amount of refugees. Instead, EU countries take in far more, because the EU makes us. You have no idea what you are saying. Once the UK leaves the EU our muslim immigration and refugee intake will be much much lower, similar to countries like Australia, because we no longer have the EU dictating to us how many we must take. We will finally have a functioning immigration system where only the skilled may stay.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by orton6
If our refugee intake was purely down to world agreements, we would all take in the same amount of refugees. Instead, EU countries take in far more, because the EU makes us. You have no idea what you are saying. Once the UK leaves the EU our muslim immigration and refugee intake will be much much lower, similar to countries like Australia, because we no longer have the EU dictating to us how many we must take. We will finally have a functioning immigration system where only the skilled may stay.

The referendum's over with so there's no need to carry on peddling this nonsense.

The UK govt alone decided and will continue to decide how many refugees we accept.
Original post by orton6

No we wouldnt because that assumes an even distribution of refugees and where they tend to move to.

They go to the EU because its nearby its peaceful and rich.

Think youll find local countries like Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt take far more refugees.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_refugee_population

No it wont be any lower, because we will still be a signatory to the UN Convention.
Reply 25
Original post by JamesN88

The UK govt alone decided and will continue to decide how many refugees we accept.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/03/eu-to-fine-countries-that-refuse-refugee-quota/

Don't start trolling too.
Original post by orton6
Once the UK stops taking in muslims migrants and refugees after Brexit, and the US does the same assuming Trump wins the election, will the rest of Europe follow?

Do you expect the UK to stop?
When?
Where did you here that?

I'm not trolling, you're ignoring reality.

Your own source states that Britain are exempted from it.
Reply 28

I know it says that, but people are saying EU has no on how many refugees EU members are taking in, when they clearly do. Just face it, the left wing remainers have lost. The people have spoken, refugee intake / muslim migration is going to drop to a reasonable level similar to the US or Australia, rather than at an extreme level like it is in the rest of the EU countries.
Reply 29
Original post by infairverona
I don't really get how this would work practically because how can you test if someone is a Muslim? Like even if Trump decided to stop anyone with beards or headscarves getting into America there will still be less 'stereotypical' Muslims and how is that measured? I just don't see it working

Bacon test.
Original post by orton6
I know it says that, but people are saying EU has no on how many refugees EU members are taking in, when they clearly do. Just face it, the left wing remainers have lost. The people have spoken, refugee intake / muslim migration is going to drop to a reasonable level similar to the US or Australia, rather than at an extreme level like it is in the rest of the EU countries.

I know Remain lost, that's irrelevant(how you think a campaign led by Cameron is left-wing is another matter entirely).

The refugees we choose to accept are taken directly from the camps and flown here after they've been vetted and the people who sneak in through Calais aren't magically going to go away because of the Brexit vote. If anything the flow from Calais could increase if the French ditch the border deal due to Brexit.

Most of the UK's Muslim population are immigrants/descendants of immigrants from Commonwealth countries and have **** all to do with the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd just love to know how Trump is going to ban Muslim immigration or even more ridiculously, ban Muslims from entering the US, period. Just lol. What is he gonna do? ask a person what their religious beliefs are before they enter the US?
Reply 32
Original post by Sisuphos
I'd just love to know how Trump is going to ban Muslim immigration or even more ridiculously, ban Muslims from entering the US, period. Just lol. What is he gonna do? ask a person what their religious beliefs are before they enter the US?

They will know if a person is muslim or not.
Original post by Sisuphos

Haha.

Populism's great until you actually have to try and implement what you've been spouting.

Pointed it out to him many times, but he enjoys wallowing in his own ignorance.
Original post by orton6
I know it says that, but people are saying EU has no on how many refugees EU members are taking in, when they clearly do.

Nobody has said that, but we have pointed out to you that the UK is exempt, so it doesnt apply to us.

The people have spoken, refugee intake / muslim migration is going to drop to a reasonable level similar to the US or Australia, rather than at an extreme level like it is in the rest of the EU countries.

Refugee flows are down because of the deal the EU has with Turkey.
There is still no reason it should change for the UK because their duty to take refugees comes from the UN Convention which is nothing to do with the EU and will still exist when we leave.

You dont seem to be able to differentiate between muslim, migrant, asylum seeker and refugee.

We get it, you dont like muslims.

Quick Reply