The Student Room Group

If looks are the main asset women bring, what's the main asset men bring?

Scroll to see replies

Shut up you sexist ****
yep it's definitely just money.

Fair play. Sound's like a fair transaction, looks for money.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
In other words...personality. :tongue:

I'd say character rather than personality, there is some truth in that.
Original post by Atlas Thugged
Even if dual-mating is true, TRP's interpretation of it is one dimensional and in fact paranoid in the extreme. It could mean a woman will literally cheat on her so-called beta-provider, but it could just as well mean the woman will want her husband to be more caring and sensitive at certain times of the month and more dominant and sexually assertive at others.

Well not exactly, I mean it's the perfect scenario. If their current partner is no longer acting like a man due to betaisation and therefore not putting out, then it only makes sense to seek outside stimulation from someone that will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Intelligence and personality. Money plays a factor too but I wouldn't want someone who was significantly richer than I was.
Reply 85
Looks are the main asset to a woman because men don't think much (sorry but its true). Most guys are visual therefore naturally base most of their decision on the outer appearance however as most women are thinkers (sometimes over-thinkers) therefore there isn't one specific thing that we take into account when it comes to what attracts us to men but several factors (we basically look at the whole package)

In no particular order it goes:

.Looks - matters to an extent, this includes his body, his height, how he presents himself

.Confidence - confidence makes everyone more attractive

.Money/occupation - yes this one is probably the biggest deal BUT despite what young guys believe its NOT because we want shoes and bags and nice interior design (that is partly why) but also because we want security for our children, if we are ever left holding the baby

.Protection factor - also a big deal. Unless shes a feisty one who likes doing all the fighting (think Kat and Alfie) realistically most women like the olden day fables where the white knight saved them from the dragon. We want a man who can protect us, fight for us, stick up for us. This is partly the reason why a lot of women are attracted to bad boys. Some might think its because shes trying to 'help him' be a better man but realistically if you date a bad boy at least you know he will have no trouble standing up for his woman. Honestly the worst type of man I would ever want to date is a guy who I would need to defend!!

Romantic - if the way to a mans heart is through his stomach then the way to a womans heart is by romancing the sh-t out of her!!!

.And personality too. I can't speak for all women but yes his type of personality is not a massive deal to someone like me. if hes a bit boring or a bit too weird or a bit too sarcastic or a bit too slow etc I don't mind as much, so long as hes got the goods to back it up.

.Same can be said for intelligence levels. Different strokes for different folks. Chances are she'll prefer someone who will match her intelligence levels. So a super-smart girl will want a super-smart guy whilst a chav will more likely be attracted to a fellow chav
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by donutellme
mayynneeeee watchu taaawwwkinnnn

MAYNNNNNE u right mayne. I gotta go out and get some sweeeet walllls ahhhhh YEeeeeeeeeaaa

FORGIVE me LAWD Gainzzz
Original post by Allie4
Looks are the main asset to a woman because men don't think much (sorry but its true). Most guys are visual therefore naturally base most of their decision on the outer appearance however as most women are thinkers (sometimes over-thinkers) therefore there isn't one specific thing that we take into account when it comes to what attracts us to men but several factors (we basically look at the whole package)

In no particular order it goes:

.Looks - matters to an extent, this includes his body, his height, how he presents himself

.Confidence - confidence makes everyone more attractive

.Money/occupation - yes this one is probably the biggest deal BUT despite what young guys believe its NOT because we want shoes and bags and nice interior design (that is partly why) but also because we want security for our children, if we are ever left holding the baby

.Protection factor - also a big deal. Unless shes a feisty one who likes doing all the fighting (think Kat and Alfie) realistically most women like the olden day fables where the white knight saved them from the dragon. We want a man who can protect us, fight for us, stick up for us. This is partly the reason why a lot of women are attracted to bad boys. Some might think its because shes trying to 'help him' be a better man but realistically if you date a bad boy at least you know he will have no trouble standing up for his woman. Honestly the worst type of man I would ever want to date is a guy who I would need to defend!!

Romantic - if the way to a mans heart is through his stomach then the way to a womans heart is by romancing the sh-t out of her!!!

.And personality too. I can't speak for all women but yes his type of personality is not a massive deal to someone like me. if hes a bit boring or a bit too weird or a bit too sarcastic or a bit too slow etc I don't mind as much, so long as hes got the goods to back it up.

.Same can be said for intelligence levels. Different strokes for different folks. Chances are she'll prefer someone who will match her intelligence levels. So a super-smart girl will want a super-smart guy whilst a chav will more likely be attracted to a fellow chav

First paragraph is you trying to say men are dumb so you are sexist.

I don't buy your money explanation due to the existence of JSA/Child Tax Credit/Child Benefit so they know that there will be enough money available for them to look after a child if they are left needing to look after the child.
Reply 88
Original post by Dalek1099
First paragraph is you trying to say men are dumb so you are sexist.

I don't see how it can be sexist when men are the ones saying it time and time again 'yes women NEED to be pretty, they NEED to have a hot body, they NEED to be attractive to us'. Read any male dating profile, it's on almost every one of theirs, looks are the top priority. You ever hear a guy talking to his mates about how intelligent a girl was? Nope all you ever hear is fit she was, how hot her friend was, what her body was like, how every guy wants arm candy. If men care about more than a woman's looks then it wouldn't kill you guys to try mentioning some other stuff every now and again...
Original post by Dalek1099
I don't buy your money explanation due to the existence of JSA/Child Tax Credit/Child Benefit so they know that there will be enough money available for them to look after a child if they are left needing to look after the child.
But that's other peoples money. Why should the taxpayer have to pay for someone else's children when they have a dad? He helped create the child, he should pay towards it.
Original post by Themini
I'm seriously impressed. How do you know all this?

Haha :biggrin:

Thanks.

I'm one of those people who can spend hours looking up things that interest me.

Feminism, reproduction, marriage and human attraction all really interest me. In particular the biology which is at the root of all this.

Haven't read it. But heard this book is really good. :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Queen-Evolution-Penguin-Science/dp/0140167722
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Allie4
I don't see how it can be sexist when men are the ones saying it time and time again 'yes women NEED to be pretty, they NEED to have a hot body, they NEED to be attractive to us'. Read any male dating profile, it's on almost every one of theirs, looks are the top priority. You ever hear a guy talking to his mates about how intelligent a girl was? Nope all you ever hear is fit she was, how hot her friend was, what her body was like, how every guy wants arm candy. If men care about more than a woman's looks then it wouldn't kill you guys to try mentioning some other stuff every now and again...But that's other peoples money. Why should the taxpayer have to pay for someone else's children when they have a dad? He helped create the child, he should pay towards it.

Lol male dating profiles are not exactly representative of the entire male population, but the criteria can really be broken down to the third one, "they NEED to be attractive to us", which is rather fair and certainly held by women as well. And actually, yes, lol, several of my friends have gone out with particularly smart girls and commented on that with appreciation. Myself I am with someone very intelligent and find that an attractive aspect also. Yes, if the interactions are casual, and the guy is not looking for a relationship, he may well only really care about how attractive she is, but this goes for women in short-term casual interactions too. Although he will still probably be relatively turned-off/drawn in by negative/positive personal characteristics even if he approaches a girl on such a basis.
Original post by Allie4
I don't see how it can be sexist when men are the ones saying it time and time again 'yes women NEED to be pretty, they NEED to have a hot body, they NEED to be attractive to us'. Read any male dating profile, it's on almost every one of theirs, looks are the top priority. You ever hear a guy talking to his mates about how intelligent a girl was? Nope all you ever hear is fit she was, how hot her friend was, what her body was like, how every guy wants arm candy. If men care about more than a woman's looks then it wouldn't kill you guys to try mentioning some other stuff every now and again...But that's other peoples money. Why should the taxpayer have to pay for someone else's children when they have a dad? He helped create the child, he should pay towards it.

I think you need to revaluate. There are shallow men and shallow women. Women tend not to be as upfront about things. Here's an example:

Independent: Why can't I get a girlfriend?
Guy: You're fat mate. Girl: Aww don't worry, you're not fat! Besides I'm sure any girl would be lucky to have you! Independent: Oh really? Will you go out with me? Girl:.... Lets just be best friends... - Get it?

I think you're obsessing too much on dating website...The reason those people are on those websites is because they cant pull on a night out or are excessively fussy.

In general though, men are no where near as fussy as women. Personally intelligence is the biggest turn on for me. I'm not going to lie and say oh looks don't matter bla bla bla its all about personality..like I've seen girls post time and time again lol. As long as someone isn't overweight and looks average enough I'm in! :wink:
I'll be upfront about it. I like a woman based on how clever she is and how sassy she is :wink:. Just someone with a personality. Genuine girls are the ones that really do It for me.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest