The Student Room Group

Is my mum being my mum, or does she genuinely think this?

She tells me almost all the time how "bright" I am, and how I'm the smartest person in the family. She tells me that it's rather frustrating for her that I don't give 100% in
academia, but knows that I'm very intelligent nonetheless.

She tells this to all her work colleagues and close friends, so when they're aroiund they always say things like "Omg, you're right, he is talented".

This all makes me quite uncomfortable as I've never even imagined that I'm "bright", especially when she tells me that if I had put 100%, she's sure I would be in Oxbridge.

But she knows that I wouldn't because, like her, she decided that Oxbridge was not her scene and went somewhere else.
Original post by Anonymous
She tells me almost all the time how "bright" I am, and how I'm the smartest person in the family. She tells me that it's rather frustrating for her that I don't give 100% in
academia, but knows that I'm very intelligent nonetheless.

She tells this to all her work colleagues and close friends, so when they're aroiund they always say things like "Omg, you're right, he is talented".

This all makes me quite uncomfortable as I've never even imagined that I'm "bright", especially when she tells me that if I had put 100%, she's sure I would be in Oxbridge.

But she knows that I wouldn't because, like her, she decided that Oxbridge was not her scene and went somewhere else.

It is easy when you are your age to just sit back and coast. When you get to our age it is a time full of regrets that we did. *Many *parents ( often subliminally) are reliving their youth through their children. All parents want the best for them and it usually involves working hard and getting into the best university. You probably are bright - everybody wants encouragement. *I wish I had worked harder when I was your age - I would be in a different situation. Aim for the top and if you get to the second rung - well that is not such a bad place to be. But work hard now - unencumbered by jobs and children etc and you will be rewarded.

Also the better your exam results/school/university etc the more choices you have*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending