The Student Room Group

Help where do I stand?

Hi all just looking to try and work out where I stand and wondered if anyone could help me?

I really want to get into nursing, with a young family I applied to the Open Uni and did some modules working towards a health and social care degree thinking whilst my children were young it would give me the qualifications I needed to get into nursing with the flexibility of working from home (with the plan to apply for nursing once all my children are in full time school which is next year)

However I failed my last few modules and will not complete in time (I was on transitional fees) from the modules I did complete I have 180 credits, I had a panic then shook myself off and starting making a plan of action of where to go next and then I saw a few posts regarding funding for courses and it got me panicking again will I even be able to receive funding for the nursing course now then it is no longer NHS funded? Or have I messed up my whole plan??

Hope this makes sense and thank you
Original post by MDouglas
Hi all just looking to try and work out where I stand and wondered if anyone could help me?

I really want to get into nursing, with a young family I applied to the Open Uni and did some modules working towards a health and social care degree thinking whilst my children were young it would give me the qualifications I needed to get into nursing with the flexibility of working from home (with the plan to apply for nursing once all my children are in full time school which is next year)

However I failed my last few modules and will not complete in time (I was on transitional fees) from the modules I did complete I have 180 credits, I had a panic then shook myself off and starting making a plan of action of where to go next and then I saw a few posts regarding funding for courses and it got me panicking again will I even be able to receive funding for the nursing course now then it is no longer NHS funded? Or have I messed up my whole plan??

Hope this makes sense and thank you

Nursing is exempt from the ELQ rules, so your prior studies with the OU won't matter. You will still be able to get a loan to pay for your nursing degree. Presumably you can use your OU credits to gain entry into the degree. When will you be applying?
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Nursing is exempt from the ELQ rules, so your prior studies with the OU won't matter. You will still be able to get a loan to pay for your nursing degree. Presumably you can use your OU credits to gain entry into the degree. When will you be applying?

Hi thats brilliant thank you so much you've put my mind at ease

I initially planned to do access course next year and then apply, but when looking on my uni's website they appear to have lower their entry requirements for next year so I'm considering applying for next year on the back of my ou credits
Hi

I am applying for sept 17 with my OU credits i have 90 and most unis have responded possitively so you should have no problem. I also went into a melt down when it was announced the NHS were no longer funding but then heard about the exemption its such a relief! Im 31 now and thought my life was ruined but cant wait to hopefully start uni next year!!
Reply 4
Original post by Johnboi1985
Hi

I am applying for sept 17 with my OU credits i have 90 and most unis have responded possitively so you should have no problem. I also went into a melt down when it was announced the NHS were no longer funding but then heard about the exemption its such a relief! Im 31 now and thought my life was ruined but cant wait to hopefully start uni next year!!

Hi thats fab to hear thank you so much :smile:, if I can just ask another question? I can find anywhere to add OU modules so did you just mention them in your personal statement?

Good luck with your application what are you applying for?
I used my qualifications/modules at the OU as proof of recent study to gain access to full time courses. Good luck!
Original post by Snufkin

Hi thats brilliant thank you so much you've put my mind at ease

I initially planned to do access course next year and then apply, but when looking on my uni's website they appear to have lower their entry requirements for next year so I'm considering applying for next year on the back of my ou credits

I'll just add, it's only currently exempt for 16/17. There's no way of knowing if it will be exempt for 17/18 NEW students until the regulations come out, which is usually February/March time.

Cheers
Hi thats fab to hear thank you so much :smile:, if I can just ask another question? I can find anywhere to add OU modules so did you just mention them in your personal statement?

Good luck with your application what are you applying for?

Hey again!!

Did you apply for September start? Mine went amazingly. I applied to 5 universities and got 5 interviews. Anyways to cut a long story short the University of Manchester offered me a place which I've firmly accepted. I never expected to get an interview for this uni never mind offered a place so it's like a dream come true!! (corny I know)

And my student finance has also been approved Friday just gone so everything's fine and I'm ready to go! So the exemption is definitely in place lol
Hope you're doing well and got where you want to be :smile:

And no OU Modules should be added in your qualifications there is an option to do this. I hope you managed to sort this out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey again!!

Did you apply for September start? Mine went amazingly. I applied to 5 universities and got 5 interviews. Anyways to cut a long story short the University of Manchester offered me a place which I've firmly accepted. I never expected to get an interview for this uni never mind offered a place so it's like a dream come true!! (corny I know)

And my student finance has also been approved Friday just gone so everything's fine and I'm ready to go! So the exemption is definitely in place lol
Hope you're doing well and got where you want to be :smile:

And no OU Modules should be added in your qualifications there is an option to do this. I hope you managed to sort this out.

Hi that's fantastic news congratulations :smile:, what course did you apply for? That's really amazing well done you and I wish you the best of luck at Manchester in Sept

Unfortunately my circumstances changed a bit so was unable to apply for this year but I am on target to apply for next Sept so fingers crossed I am as successful as you

Well done again :smile:
Hey

So sorry it took so long to reply, I didn't get a notification and just came across your response by accident. I'm going to be starting an adult nursing degree. And I'm sure you're going to be fine, you have way more OU credits than me I had 90 and managed to get into what's apparently the 4th best uni for nursing in the world! All I'd say is if you have no health care experience then use this time to get some as it'll help you millions :smile:

And thanks a lot its majorly exciting xx
Reply 10
Hey

So sorry it took so long to reply, I didn't get a notification and just came across your response by accident. I'm going to be starting an adult nursing degree. And I'm sure you're going to be fine, you have way more OU credits than me I had 90 and managed to get into what's apparently the 4th best uni for nursing in the world! All I'd say is if you have no health care experience then use this time to get some as it'll help you millions :smile:

And thanks a lot its majorly exciting xx

Don't be sorry I haven't been online for a while and only replied myself this morning

I bet it is exciting :smile: I can't wait to get to that stage good luck with it all :smile:

Thank you I'm ploughing ahead and not giving up I will get there :smile:, I'm applying for child nursing and have just secured a volunteer role as a paediatric play volunteer so I'm eager to get started :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending