The Student Room Group

How hard is to pass your theory test???

I got the app on my iPhone to revise but can someone who passed tell me what type of questions are asked

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I passed first time. There are different categories of questions: things like road signs, pedestrians, other road users, documentation etc and then the hazard perception test. It's easy if you revise, but a lot don't hence why the fail rate is high and people spread horror stories about it.
Reply 2
How many hours did you revise before taking the test and is the hazard section hard to pass
Reply 3
Original post by Waqaar2015
How many hours did you revise before taking the test and is the hazard section hard to pass

It was 2 years ago I can't remember, I just kept doing the tests on the app until I passed every time. You can get apps to practise hazard perception too so just keep doing them

I passed only a few hours ago. I had been revising for the multiple choice for over a month. Download the official app (costs £5) and has everything you need to know, as well as a lot of mock tests. I had seen most of the questions at least once before, so I found that first part quite straight forward.
Hazard perception was okay. I clicked about 4-5 times per clip, and managed scores of 4s and 5s. Only thing is on the double hazard, I clicked too many times and so I got a 0 for that one,oops. Click on all potential/developing hazards you see but just be sure not click in a pattern or too many times.
Eaaaasy.
I revised for an hour the day before and passed.
Admittedly I'd been riding motorbikes on a CBT before, but the point remains.
If you've done all the mock tests online you can find, then on your test day you'll be familiar with every question to appear. The hazard perception test is much harder to prepare for. I passed first time with only one wrong answer in the theory test, but only just passing by one point in the hazard perception. It is completely different to actually driving on the road, and in my opinion isn't an accurate representation of your actual hazard perception, but how else are they supposed to test it without it being your actual driving test?!
I got the app on my iPhone to revise but can someone who passed tell me what type of questions are asked

I failed first time. Sometimes the questions are a bit open-ended and that can be frustrating. You get case studies as well as the usual questions.

These are pretty much the sorts of things you'll get asked: http://toptests.co.uk/

A lot of theory test questions are based around common sense.

For example:

A lorry is pulling out across the middle of the road to turn. Do you:

A. Carry out an Emergency Brake
B. Sound your horn and keep going
C. Pull up and wait for the vehicle to make the turn.
Reply 9

it's so easy if you practice i just did mine last week passed first time i was surprised! I went through this site http://toptests.co.uk/ took me less than a week to learn it all. this is the best site you can use. i didn't practice for the hazard perception but i wouldn't recommend that do have a practice on everything road signs, general questions and hazard perception good luck!

Of all the practice bollox I did in the run up to my theory test, my highest score just happened to be on the test itself.

I failed the prac tho. I failed because I was a crap driver at the time. I passed the second time because I................dont really know. Im still pretty crap as a driver. Cant even go on a motorway without going less than 90mph unless I am physically restricted from doing so or conditions are bad.
I had my theory test today and I was very surprised that I passed! (48/50 and 61/75). I flagged 8 questions and a couple of them I guessed on as I've never seen the question before. I was so nervous! I got the original app for my phone and just did a ton of mock tests until I knew it like the back of my hand. Due to the new software, the hazards where much easier to see. On one of them I scored nothing (i think that was the first one, as I was quite slow noticing the hazard) and then on the one scoring 10 I got 7. My test was at 12:30 so I revised beforehand and did the hazard test and got two wrong, so I'd revise that a bit more. So happy I've passed, now on to passing the practical haha
Not hard
I passed fistt time
47/50 and 65/75 for hazard
I didn't use any apps
Just the 2015 dvsa book, the highway code, the know your traffic signs book and the 2015 hazard perception dvd
literally that's all you need
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bloom77
Not hard
I passed fistt time
47/50 and 65/75 for hazard
I didn't use any apps
Just the 2015 dvsa book, the highway code, the know your traffic signs book and the 2015 hazard perception dvd
literally that's all you need

Is there anywhere you can get the books and dvd you mentioned above for free?? Thanks :smile:
Original post by painandpride15
Is there anywhere you can get the books and dvd you mentioned above for free?? Thanks :smile:

The Know your traffic signs book is free and already online as a PDF

The Highway Code is also free online through various websites
Or you can buy the Highway Code for just £2 online and free delivery.

I suggest you go to the library if you want the rest for free.

Or you can buy used products which is cheaper than paying full price.
Also, please buy the latest hazard perception DVD and the latest theory test book (2015 edition).

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
The Know your traffic signs book is free and already online as a PDF

The Highway Code is also free online through various websites
Or you can buy the Highway Code for just £2 online and free delivery.

I suggest you go to the library if you want the rest for free.

Or you can buy used products which is cheaper than paying full price.
Also, please buy the latest hazard perception DVD and the latest theory test book (2015 edition).

Good luck!

Hey cheers for your reply I Messaged you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I failed first time. Sometimes the questions are a bit open-ended and that can be frustrating. You get case studies as well as the usual questions.

These are pretty much the sorts of things you'll get asked: http://toptests.co.uk/

Second this.. Sometimes two answers can both match and actually be good answers, but they want a specific one.

I passed second time, you sorta learn what answer they expect from you
Easy, passed first time with full marks.
Easy peasy, use the official app, they're the exact same questions that come up on the test!

Its really easy once you read the highway code and use the apps on the iPhone. However I paid a very small fortune for my revision, just £1.99. I revised nearly every single day and I passed first time - so it was definitely worth the money.
I don't remember much about the Hazard Perception though, but you just need basic common sense for most of the things on the test.

Quick Reply

Latest